Re: HP-UX on N4000 (243 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Phil_
Message 1 of 8 (243 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP-UX on N4000

We have a couple of redundant N4000s after migrating all our apps to Itanium last year.

Is there any documentation anywhere on how to install HP-UX on these machines as they would make great sandpit boxes?

I know that HPs e3000 Migration options expired at the end of last year, but is it possible to still migrate these machines ourselves?

The only link I can find (http://www.hp.com/products1/evolution/e3000/info_library/faqs.html) mentions that a 'hardware' conversion kit is required. Is this the case for the N4000 as I have seen hints elsewhere that they will take HP-UX directly?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Fred Metcalf
Message 2 of 8 (243 Views)

Re: HP-UX on N4000

Phil, I dont know about the doumentation, try www.docs.hp.com
HP-UX will install on the N4000; it ignores the HP 3000 settings. We did it some years ago with an A-class. We obtained the kit which consisted of a new label for the front panel. No HW or firmware change was made.
Fred
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Kwan Fong, Emile
Message 3 of 8 (243 Views)

Hello Phil,

If the N4000 servers were originally used as e3000 MPE/iX systems, then some "bits" need to be "flipped" on the processor boards so the servers act as HP9000 HP-UX. This is done by an HP Customer Engineer using a SS-Config tape.
King is the customer!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Phil_
Message 4 of 8 (243 Views)

Thanks for the info guys.

The servers have been running MPE, but I believe they were originally delivered set for HP-UX and the engineer had to 'switch' them to MPE.

Is it just a case of filling in the MODELSTR (UX) field in SS to switch them back to unix?
After googling on ss-config I find there are other companies offering this config service (ie. irs4hp), but is there anything in the public domain that will allow us to do it?

Needless to say the boxes are no longer under support with HP so getting an engineer out could prove costly.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Donna Garverick
Message 5 of 8 (243 Views)

in the hp-ux world, these boxes are sooooo last century ;-) i'll guess that for what you'll pay to convert these boxes, you could pick-up a newer 'real' hp-ux for less money.

finally, i'll gently suggest avoiding dealing with companies that deal with manipulating stable storage. - d
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Kwan Fong, Emile
Message 6 of 8 (243 Views)

Hello Phil,

Some processor dependent variables need to be set to determine the Operating System to be used on the server.
King is the customer!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Phil_
Message 7 of 8 (243 Views)

Thanks for the info guys - you've given me enough to move forward with.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Phil_
Message 8 of 8 (243 Views)

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation