TRIM 6.2.x on MS SQL Server 2008 R2 (557 Views)
Advisor
Ross Phillips
Message 1 of 7 (557 Views)
Accepted Solution

TRIM 6.2.x on MS SQL Server 2008 R2

Can anyone point me at a retrospective support matrix for TRIM Context 6.2.x?

We've got implementations of 6.2.2.8617 and 6.2.4.1240 across two different businesses, both running on a single MS SQL 2005 SP4 backend.

That physical DB server is getting a bit long in the tooth and is in the process of being virtualised and the DBAs would like to move up to SQL Server 2008 R2 x64. Understandably I'm struggling to find any current support statements for older versions of TRIM.

The only mention I've seen (link here) addresses SQL Server 2008 for 6.2.5.

The TRIM application servers are already virtualised, running Windows Server 2003 SP2 and will remain that way. It's just the database server that needs a facelift.

Any help appreciated!

Honored Contributor
Grundy
Message 2 of 7 (557 Views)

Re: TRIM 6.2.x on MS SQL Server 2008 R2

Hi Ross,

The TRIMSpec.pdf documents that come with the respective versions of software still apply.

The support spec does not change over time for an older product.

SQL2008 is not officially supported, but should work fine with those builds and I have seen sites run with that version without issue. You should setup a thorough test environment to be sure there are no issues with your specific datasets.

As for virtualising the database, I would recommend against doing this.

VM technology still can't cope with the high IO of a big, busy database, especially if you are already trying to move away from performance issues on a physical machine.

I would suggest sticking with a physical machine still just for the database server until VM technology can catch up, or you can utilise the latest hardware as more of a brute force performance improvement. (SSD drives galore)

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Honored Contributor
TRIMGuru
Message 3 of 7 (557 Views)

Grundy is correct.  I'm also attaching the support matrix for your TRIM versions.

Advisor
Carl W Irvine
Message 4 of 7 (557 Views)

Hey,  the following link relates to SQL 2008 (and Oracle 11g) support - NOT SQL 2008 R2 - but it does indicate that HP will add new technologies to a support matrix.  I guess it may be to far down the line now for HP to test and support this with older versions of the application, but it might be worth logging a formal request with HP about SQL 2008 R2 support for TRIM 6.2.x... 

Carl

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM835715

Advisor
Ross Phillips
Message 5 of 7 (557 Views)

Thanks all :smileyhappy:

This might end up being a case of balancing "official" support against not falling too far behind. SQL 2005 is only n-1ish, so it's not going to be an issue for a while longer!

FWIW, the support matrix provided above tops out at SQL 2005 SP2 and we're already running under SP4.

KM835715 (created two months after that matrix was last updated) advises support for 6.2.4 under SQL 2008, but makes no mention of 6.2.2, or of SQL 2008 R2.

SQL2008 R2 was released about the same time (June?) but there doesn't appear to be a KM regarding support for 6.2.x. In fact SQL2008 R2 is only explicitly mentioned for TRIM 7.1.

We might run up a copy of PROD in a virtual environment in LabManager (or whatever it's called now) and see what happens :smileytongue:

Do you think it's worthwhile logging a formal enquiry with HP? Given the esteemed populace of this forum I'd be mildly surprised to get a different answer!

Staying on SQL 2005 SP4 won't be a drama, just thought I'd ask

--------

With regards to virtualisation of the SQL server - we'll have to see how it runs in LabManager. For better or worse, it's policy now and there have been very few exceptions to date. Our 5 y.o. TRIM SQL server is one of the few physical boxes remaining. On the bright side, we're only talking about ~300 Context users and performance has been fine to date, but the hardware is out of support.

Honored Contributor
Grundy
Message 6 of 7 (557 Views)

If you log this with HP Support, you'll get a very similar answer to my post above. :smileyhappy:

e.g. It's not officially supported, but there's nothing stopping you trying it. If it works, great, if you experience any issues directly related to the use of SQL 2008 R2, then consider upgrading TRIM or using SQL 2005.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Advisor
Ross Phillips
Message 7 of 7 (557 Views)

Thanks JG, that's pretty much what I expected.

SQL2005SP4 will continue to be fine methinks :smileywink:

One day I might be allowed to upgrade!

One day I might be allowed to retire Captura as well...

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.