Compression? (91 Views)
Advisor
Mark Duffy
Message 1 of 5 (91 Views)
Accepted Solution

Compression?

I want to use make_net_recovery to store on a newly setup Ignite server. vg00 of the server I want to make an image of is 8Gb is size currently using 5848MB. What size will the make_net_recovery to be stored be? What sort of compression does Ignite use?

Any info appreciated.
Esteemed Contributor
Lasse Knudsen
Message 2 of 5 (91 Views)

Re: Compression?

Ignite uses (standard) gzip.

How much space you need depends on what data you have.

Text files can be compressed as much as 90% - binary files usually 40% compressed files/jpg/mpg is not compressable at all. 40% is a good overall estimate.

In a world without fences - who needs Gates ?
Esteemed Contributor
Lasse Knudsen
Message 3 of 5 (91 Views)

Ups the calcution:

5848 - 40% = 3508MB
In a world without fences - who needs Gates ?
Valued Contributor
Vincente Fernandes
Message 4 of 5 (91 Views)

Ignite used dd for creating the make_recovery. The size will depend up what directory/data is included in the make_net_recovery process. It shouldn't take more then 5848MB assuming you want to include everything of vg00.
Honored Contributor
Kofi ARTHIABAH
Message 5 of 5 (91 Views)

If you do not use the -A option , make_recovery will back up only the OS component of vg00 - that comes to approximately 400MB. If you use the -A option with make_recovery, then it will back up all the data on vg00.

I would suggest that in your case you use make_recovery (without the -A option) and then backup using fbackup for the rest of the data.
nothing wrong with me that a few lines of code cannot fix!
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.