SMH silent install problem (279 Views)
Contributor
smamm
Message 1 of 3 (279 Views)

SMH silent install problem

I've run into a problem when trying to install SMH via the "silent install" option on Windows 2008 servers.

I've already created the answer file (setup.iss) and execute from a command prompt (lauched as administrator):

setup.exe /s /f1setup.iss   (where setup.iss is located in the same directory as the setup file).

Nothing happens.   An hour glass flashes briefly, then . . . nothing.  No install, and more importantly, nothing's logging anywhere that indicates what's going on.   The same problem occurs if I include full paths in the above install line.

The smh_installer log that generates on the root of the system drive has NOTHING in it for today's date (it was already present from a previous install a couple of months ago).  The Windows application and system log have nothing for the time stamps when the install was initiated.

If I simply initiate the installer from outside of the command line and install the via the GUI, it works fine.  It's not a downgrade or same version install, as I'm going from 7.3.1.4 to 7.3.2.1

I haven't been able to track down any information about SMH's setup.exe command line parameters on the web. 

Any ideas?

Contributor
smamm
Message 2 of 3 (268 Views)

Re: SMH silent install problem

So . . . 

All documentation points to running the install with "setup.exe", which does indeed exist when you extract the files.

I noticed that there's also an "smhsetup.exe" in there too.   When I run with the install with THAT instance, it works.

Something so excruciatingly simple, yet lousy documentation sends you down the wrong path.

Occasional Visitor
track
Message 3 of 3 (195 Views)

Re: SMH silent install problem

U need to exctract the component Cpxx.exe to get the setup.exe file ..

the silent upgrade using the command setup.exe /s \f1 setup.iss worked on my windows box 

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.