HP Server Management Agents: SNMP or WBEM (2933 Views)
Honored Contributor
shocko
Message 1 of 14 (2,933 Views)

HP Server Management Agents: SNMP or WBEM

Hey guys, just wondering who's using the HP Insight WBEM providers and what they think of them? Personally, I haven't used them much as I've found (in the past) that they crashed a lot on my systems. However, for interoperability with other systems, they would make life so easy as your could easily pull information from them by querying the HP WMI namespace. It would be easy to add ,say, firmware information to SCOM/SCCM etc.

Also, the WBEM agents appear to be richer in reporting firmware infomration (i.e. disk firmware is reported by the WBEM agents but not by the SNP agents)

Any opinions/thoughts welcome
If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
jim goodman
Message 2 of 14 (2,933 Views)

Re: HP Server Management Agents: SNMP or WBEM

The WBEM providers have come a long way in a pretty short time - I advise my customers to with new builds of G6-G7 Servers to consider using the Providers and grow the environment into them.
HP Insight Software/Converged Infrastructure Consultant
Insight Blog: http://worldofinsight.wordpress.com
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
shocko
Message 3 of 14 (2,933 Views)

I'd like to implement them accross my organization for security reasons mainly (considering using them with a DMZ) and laso for interoperabilty with other monitoring systems.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
jim goodman
Message 4 of 14 (2,933 Views)

I think that is a good reason to migrate - I think they are plenty stable in the current versions, at least I haven't experienced the problems of the early releases nor have received any negative feedback. There will always be potential for issues with anything in a given environment, but in general I have become much more confident in them as opposed to even a year ago when I didn't recommend them at all.
HP Insight Software/Converged Infrastructure Consultant
Insight Blog: http://worldofinsight.wordpress.com
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
shocko
Message 5 of 14 (2,933 Views)

Benifits of WBEM over SNMP:

- Granular security i.e WMI namespace security

- More information

- Disk drive firmware listing available in version control

- Option in SMH to disble monitoring of mangement processor i.e. iLO. This is useful for servers with ilo not connected to network
Please use plain text.
Advisor
PhilC_1
Message 6 of 14 (2,933 Views)

Hi - I've found this thread useful. One more question to add... if I start to deploy the HP Insight WBEM providers then do I also still need the HP Insight Management Agents? I was under the impression that these are only required for SNMP, but I may be wrong.
Thanks, Phil
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
shocko
Message 7 of 14 (2,933 Views)

You only need the insight management agents if you wish to use snmp. In fact, both agents can co-exist i.e. wbem and snmp but thsi is wasteful unless you have mutiple monitoring systems monitoriung the server with different protocols
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
shocko
Message 8 of 14 (2,933 Views)

I also not one annoyance with the WBEM providors installer. The latest version will install even on systems it doesn't support i.e dl380 g3 servers. this is annoying. Also, in the SMH VCA, the latest shows as available for install on such systems :(
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rob Buxton
Message 9 of 14 (2,933 Views)

Just a note on wbem, if you're using Vmware ESXi, then wbem is the only choice you have. So it seems more and more is moving to wbem.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
shocko
Message 10 of 14 (2,933 Views)

Thats a good point Rob. Thanks for the reply
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Evan Nadeau
Message 11 of 14 (2,909 Views)

I am trying to move towards WMI only system builds and completely leaving off SNMP. We do not have any other need for it. So am can remove approx 5 services from these systems by going to wmi. I do however seem to be having trouble with the WMI providers giving a lot of erros in the event logs. Seems to be an issue with setting up the name spaces correctly. Anyone else having this issue?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
shocko
Message 12 of 14 (2,909 Views)

What kind of errors?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Evan Nadeau
Message 13 of 14 (2,909 Views)

This is a fairly common problem it seems from my searching around the internet, but I haven't found any definitive fix for it.

Event filter with query "select * from HP_McSystemEvent" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/WMI" because of error 0x80041010. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

When I look in WMI, I do see other HP namespaces, but not this one. There are several other namespaces that also seem to be missing, that give the same error, just listing a different HP_ namespace.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Chalkie
Message 14 of 14 (2,740 Views)

Did you get a response/fix to this one?

We've been getting them a lot too. The 2 main culprits are the HP_McSystemEvent and the HP_InitCompleteEvent.

The easy fix is to add the event into the WBEM class under root\WMI - follow this set of instructions on the same site.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-Netservers/Application-Event-Error-select-from-hp-mcsy...

We have Proliant DL 360 G6 predominantly. 

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation