Re: xml enricher crashing when processing Domain Controller scans (282 Views)
Advisor
Toby Southin
Message 1 of 4 (296 Views)

xml enricher crashing when processing Domain Contoller scans

Hopefully someone can help. We are using ddmi 7.61 but it seems that every time it tries to process the scan files from our DC's the xml enricher crashes.

It keeps re-starting, then retries, and dies again. As it gets caught in a loop the scans in the incoming folder just build up.

We have 2 xml enrichers running and i just had to clear the dc scans to get the 5000 scans back log processing.

A typical scan from a server is about 500kb but the scans from our DC's are about 1.5mb. when a normal scan gets pulled into the temp folder it is there for a few seconds and grows to a few kbs. When a DC scan is processed in the temp folder it is there for ages and starts growing to hundreds of kb's then the xml enricher falls over.

It used to do this before but I have updated the scan engine since then. The DC's are all Windows 2003 x64. But when it was failing before they were all x86.

Any ideas? Anyone else seen this?

Or should I open up a ticket with HP?

Thanks
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Toby Southin
Message 2 of 4 (296 Views)

Re: xml enricher crashing when processing Domain Contoller scans

I got the following from HP support, it's a known issue. So I just created a new scanner for a new device group and put all the DC's in it. works fine now.

------------

Scanning Domain Controllers is taking very long or failing.
KM527446

Summary:
The Domain Controllers contain a large number of User Profiles hence the scanning can take very long or fail. Please change the scanner configuration from the hardware options not to collect User profiles alternately change the configuration by using the command line option -excl:95.

Topic
Scanning Domain Controllers is taking very long or failing.

Response

When the Windows Domain Controllers are being scanned even in hardware only mode the scanning can take very long and enriching these files could take days. This is because there are a large number of User Profiles that are being collected by the scanner.

An workaround is not to collect User Profile information.

This can be done by:

1. uncheck the potion User Profiles under Hardware items in the scanner generator.

2. Use the command line option -excl:95, either as a command line if manually scanning the server or via the troubleshooting tab.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
stevekrahn1
Message 3 of 4 (289 Views)

Re: xml enricher crashing when processing Domain Controller scans

I've also noticed there's a limitation with the Viewer in displaying scan files with record line entries greater than 100,000. The noted work around seems to fix this issue as well.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
StrS
Message 4 of 4 (282 Views)

Re: xml enricher crashing when processing Domain Controller scans

Hi,

this is a known issue in 7.61. I think it is fixed in later versions.

The workaround should be useful; along with it, you can separate the DCs in a device group and in the scanner profile you can use the scanner configuration with the unchecked options.

I hope this helps.

thanks,

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation