Re: DDMI discovery (421 Views)
Regular Advisor
Nyan_1
Message 1 of 12 (421 Views)
Accepted Solution

DDMI discovery

Hi,

I trying to discovery the network by device typr. how would i get this right. Do i scan the ip range first to discover all the devices than edit the device group and add device type after DDMI has discovered the network? I only want network devices and printers in my inventory

Thanks

Nyan
Trusted Contributor
ankit gupta_1
Message 2 of 12 (421 Views)

Re: DDMI discovery

If u want to discover the devices by device type, just go to discovery configuration>device group> and select device type> click on NEW> and from the conditional type list select Device Type.

After that selecting, it gives u the list of available device types.so select whatever device type u want to discover( in your case select routers, switch, printer etc) .

If you need more help on that, contact me.

Points are welcome.

Regards,
Ankit Gupta
Always Believe "The Best is yet to Come".
Regular Advisor
Nyan_1
Message 3 of 12 (421 Views)

Hi,

If you use device type it wont know what ip range to scan. also in the install doc pg 85. it said if you add device type it will stop the discovery. cause if you select device type the snmp is disabled in the configuration profile.

so my guess is run the IP address range and get all the devices. than after the scan is conplete edit the device group and add device type and let it run over night I guess to delete the device type you dont want.

How does it work if I'm not understanding correctly

Thanks

Nyan
Esteemed Contributor
Steven R Lee
Message 4 of 12 (421 Views)

You cannot discover devices based on Device Type. We don't know what the device type is until it has been discovered. Device Type configuration is designed to allow you to manage devices.

Regular Advisor
Nyan_1
Message 5 of 12 (421 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for that. So basically discovery the whole network than edit the device group with device type and let DDMI remove the unwanted device type over night????

Am I right. I need to for certain.

Thanks so much for you help so far

Nyan
Esteemed Contributor
Steven R Lee
Message 6 of 12 (421 Views)

No that is not the case.

Device type groups include devices that have similar characteristics, such as Windows workstations or enterprise routers. Device type groups can also contain IP address conditions. You cannot use device type groups to discover devices, however, because a device must already have been discovered before DDM Inventory can identify its device type. For this reason, Basic Discovery and SNMP configuration profiles are not assigned to device type groups.

To remove unwanted devices you will need to remove the devices IP address from the range.
Regular Advisor
Nyan_1
Message 7 of 12 (421 Views)

Hi,

I'm not sure if I am explaining myself correctly.

For e.g I need to discover Printers and routers and switches on 192.168.*.* range (this range has Workstations, servers etc in this range as well). So I would have to create Device Group->New

Condition Type: IP Address
IP Type: Wildcard IP
IP Address: 192.168.*.*

Than Click New again for condition

Condition Type: Device Type
Device Type: "Select the type I want"

and Activate the change.

I tried that and it didn't scan anything.

Thanks

Nyan

Esteemed Contributor
Steven R Lee
Message 8 of 12 (421 Views)

If I understand you correctly you are trying to filter devices based on Device Type. The devices that you do not want to add are in the discovery IP range. DDM I does not have Device types filters so devices in a range are not added to the database. If you add a IP range all the devices will be added regardless of your device type configuration.

If you only want to add Switches and Printers then I would only add in those IP Address for those types of devices.

Regular Advisor
Nyan_1
Message 9 of 12 (421 Views)

Hi,

The problem that we having is the client only wants to dicover certain device type within the range of IP. The reason is the license is limited to discover a certain amount of devices. So we need to narrow the search down to certain devices. Lets say it's a brand new machine with no config done yet. Can that be done or do I have to scan the entire network range and than edit the device group with device type so DDMI will remove the devices that doesn't meet the device type condition.

Thanks

Nyan
Honored Contributor
Brindusa Kevorkian
Message 10 of 12 (421 Views)

Nyan,

The Device Type filter only works on Agent/scanner profile. The discovery itself works with IPs only.

The problem is one needs to do all the work in order to identify correctly a device, so if DDMI does all the work but discards the device in the end, that's not a very efficient use of resources. All this data needs to be stored somewhere so it does use licenses.

Since DDMI continuously discovers devices, there is no initial discovery period after which you could just turn it off and start filtering. Networks are dynamic, new devices come and go, DDMI needs to continuously monitor for changes.

Your only option right now is what Steve described - try to block out IP ranges or individual IPs for devices you don't want to monitor.

Depending on what you are trying to filter - you can use the configuration options under Administration > System Configuration > Input Filters, but this may not help you.

Regards,
Brindusa
Regular Advisor
Nyan_1
Message 11 of 12 (421 Views)

Hi All,

Thanks for the help. Will have to just smaller IP ranges at a time than and try narrow the range where that devices are and use the filter to pull the reports out for different devices.

Thanks

Nyan
Occasional Advisor
Karen G
Message 12 of 12 (421 Views)

Hello,

I would recommend upgrading to version 7.6. This version no longer has the discovery restrictions as the older versions did. It will allow you to discover thousands of assets. I believe the number is 60,000 but do not quote me on that. Please ask your HP rep. This way you can discover all assets on the IP range without worrying about exceeding your limit. I would sell this to my customer because it enables you to truly understand everything that is plugged into your LAN/WAN. It is a great feature to have.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.