Asset Manager Windows client offers a flexible way to define filters that will pop up when you want to access any screen (QBE filters, Query By Example). Just listing the fields in the screen definition, Asset Manager will generate the multi criteria filter.
The Web client exposes the QBE filter in the "filters" drop down list when you are on a screen. Note that a "simplified filters" option introduced in 9.30 now allows screen by screen, a better control of what will be displayed.
This very short technical document shows how ta create very easily the same user experience in the Web client and in the Windows client:
The user clickes on the screen name he wants to access, a list of filters pops up, the user fills the criteria and the filtered screen is launched.
- No need to load all the records before filtering (performance)
- Less clicks, better user experience.
The Windows client actually generates the code of the QBE wizards from the list of fields defined in the screen definition editable in Asset Manager Database Designer.
The approach is to capture the wizard code, copy it, create a real wizard that will be exposed in the web and allow to set parameters that will be used as a filter to open the desired screen.
The shift will be that users will for instance click on a "Portfolio" wizard that will open the "Portfolio" screen with the right filters instead of clicking on the screen, filtering, and access the records. The screen can be in a section of the navigation tree that users will no longer access.
Step by step implementation:
1. Launch a QBE wizard on the windows client (that you can customize in Asset Manager Database Administrator)
2. Click “Shift + F9” (debug mode)
3. Switch to “code” mode, copy code, create the same wizard (no context, set the right functional domain)
4. Copy and paste the code into a new wizard, set the functional domain accordingly to the place where you want to see it (Here Asset Life Cycle / Inventory Management)
5. You will see the wizard in the web client, and it works! :-): you enter the parameter using the type ahead feature
... and access the screen filtered on the items you wanted to access