iMC installation fail with "Host name "null" contains one or more nonstandard characters" (745 Views)
Visitor
AltF4
Message 1 of 6 (745 Views)
Accepted Solution

iMC installation fail with "Host name "null" contains one or more nonstandard characters"

[ Edited ]

Hi guys,

after starting sh ./install.sh got a strange error-message: "invalid host name: Host name "null" contains one or more nonstandard characters"

Was also changing the hostname in "imc01", "imcvm" and at least "wtf" with the same result...

All suggestions are welcome. ;)

Some facts about the system:

RHEL 6.3 64bit

32bit versions of glibc, libaio, libgcc and libstdc++ are installed

The database is MySQL 5.5

hostname: ber-imc01vm

Thanks

Honored Contributor
LindsayHill
Message 2 of 6 (722 Views)

Re: iMC installation fail with "Host name "null" contains one or more nonstandard cha

I'm not sure if this is the problem or not, but it might be a name resolution issue. Check that your hostname is in your local hosts file.

CCIE 36708 | @northlandboy | lkhill.com
Visitor
AltF4
Message 3 of 6 (716 Views)

Re: iMC installation fail with "Host name "null" contains one or more nonstandard cha

that was one of my first tasks...

/etc/hosts entry was modified

:(

Visitor
AltF4
Message 4 of 6 (713 Views)

Finally solved! ^^

the reason was:

first we installed the RHEL-infra without X and was deploying the X environment with some unsolved dependences.

So I decided to reinstall the OS with the Desktop-Option and it works.

Thanks.

Honored Contributor
LindsayHill
Message 5 of 6 (704 Views)

Ok, I would not have guessed that, based on the error!

Thanks for posting back here with the resolution. 

CCIE 36708 | @northlandboy | lkhill.com
Occasional Visitor
dspears
Message 6 of 6 (239 Views)

I also ran into this error message on a server in my lab.  I was able to resolve it by adding the hostname in the /etc/hosts file for the dhcp address.   I would not recommend that for a production install.  The root of this message appears to be a DHCP/DNS issue.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.