pavilion desktops powers up but no video (5075 Views)
Occasional Advisor
nfixit
Message 1 of 8 (5,075 Views)

pavilion desktops powers up but no video

hello to all, I have a desktop hp pavilion a6000. that will not boot. everything powers up. power supply, cpu fan and sys fans all comes on. but I get nothing on the screen. I dont get any beeps from the system either. what I have tried is the following...

Disconnected all peripherals harddrive, cdrom etc.
changed memory( different chips and both memory slots), cleared cmos, tried a different video card( system has onboard video).

and still the same thing no video.

anyone have any suggestions? Iam willing to try anything before I declare the motherbard dead.

thanks in advance.

you can im me through google talk nfixit@gmail

thanks
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 2 of 8 (5,075 Views)

Re: pavilion desktops powers up but no video

Try clearing the CMOS see this doc. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00910113&tmp_track_link=ot_recdoc/c01035996/en_...:1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us〈=en&product=3435609 Clearing the CMOS is towards the bottom.
Frequent Advisor
PC_Tester
Message 3 of 8 (5,075 Views)

Can you provide the exact model of your system (check the side panel)? a6000 is just the series number

a6xxxx ?
Occasional Advisor
nfixit
Message 4 of 8 (5,075 Views)

thanks for the replys, I tried to reset the bios through the jumpers and removing the battery( for an half hour, I know it was unnecessary but I figured what the heck. better more than less). still got the same results.

sorry about the lack of info. the model number is.. pavilion a6500f.

any other things I could/should try, before declaring the Motherboard dead?..

not to jump the gun, but I like to stay ahead of my self. lets just say its the motherboard, what would be the correct manufacturer & model number to look for when Iam looking for a replacement( it looks like a firefox motherboard)? or if possible(an upgraded motherboard, which would be compatible with all the peripherals from this current system. ex cpu fan, front panel switches, power supply etc.)

thanks in advance, not to rush but I need to make a move before Friday, this is a family member computer who is dieing with out a working system :)

Nfixit
Occasional Advisor
nfixit
Message 5 of 8 (5,075 Views)

sorry lol I meant foxconn motherboard
Frequent Advisor
PC_Tester
Message 6 of 8 (5,075 Views)

- Try pulling out the power, wait 30 sec and remove the CMOS battery
- If there is a graphics up card, remove it and use graphics down (onboard)
- Do not connect any external USB devices to the system except what was shipped with the system
- Remove the RAM modules
- Use an air compressor and blow out all the dust bunnies around the RAM slots, CPU, motherboard
- Put everything back (plug in the power cord last!)
- Remember that when upgrading graphics, pci/pci-e devices that it must be done when the power cable has been removed (and wait 30 sec for the power supply to discharge)
Occasional Advisor
nfixit
Message 7 of 8 (5,075 Views)

Thanks for your reply pctester. I already performed all of the procedures that you mentioned but not in that order. so I just tried everything you said in the order you said it.(I never had any external hardware hooked up and on this system it only has onboard video(no pcie was never installed)

iam still getting the same results. so as of now Iam calling the motherboard dead. unless anyone has any other ideas.

Iam also looking for the part number of this motherboard.(or manufacture and model), if someone can give me that info( or an upgraded motherboard that will work with the current parts, front panel ports included) it would be greatly appreciated Iam trying to get this system up and running asap

thanks

nfixit
Occasional Advisor
nfixit
Message 8 of 8 (5,075 Views)

Ok I found out the info on this motherboard(for the pavilion a6500f desktop) if anyone is looking in the future....

part # 492911-001
foxconn- mcp73m01h1 ( code name napa)

micro atx

as of now Iam declaring the board dead, I tried possibly everything I could think of. even starting the system up with no ram gives me no error sounds from the motherboard!

thanks for all the replys Iam still open. I will not order a replacement board until sunday.

thanks again

Nfixit
youtube.com/nfixitonline
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.