constant blinking light on front of my hp 9340f (372 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Bill Rebstock
Message 1 of 11 (372 Views)

constant blinking light on front of my hp 9340f

Hello. Can't find anywhere in manual and have got mixed answers from store.
Can someone please tell me what the small blue blinking light is on the front of my computer?
Should it be blinking, solid or only lit while on the internet? I'm sure it might have something to do with wireless but maybe not. Can it be changed or turned off?
Thank you!
Bill
Honored Contributor
dmhoo29
Message 2 of 11 (372 Views)

Re: constant blinking light on front of my hp 9340f

Could it be the hard drive activity?
Occasional Visitor
Bill Rebstock
Message 3 of 11 (372 Views)

No. If I had applications running, perhaps.
But this continues whether I reboot or shut down for the night and restart. Any assistance would be gladly received. I'm sure it's not serious. It may just be it's way but it's somewhat anoying.
Honored Contributor
dmhoo29
Message 4 of 11 (372 Views)

It could be a running process in the background.You don't have to be running a program for that to happen.
When you see this happening look in Task Manager under the processes tab,click on CPU and see which process is running at a higher rate.Then click the Performance tab and see what percent your CPU usage is.
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor
k g
Message 5 of 11 (372 Views)

Hi Bill,

I think that is your wireless connection or your wireless card operational indicator, and it is constantly looking for available networks. If you disable the wireless card in Device Manager, the blinking should slow down considerably. I'm not sure if there is a way to fully turn it off. Maybe if there is a way to get Vista to stop looking for networks?

Whatever the case, I think it's operating as it should.
Occasional Visitor
Ricky Ledford
Message 6 of 11 (372 Views)

I have a Pavilion Elite m9357c that has the same problem. There is a bright blue blinking light that is an indicator for the wifi radio. It blinks continually even when the wifi connection is active. It drives me nuts. I'm thinking about unplugging it. Any ideas out there?
Occasional Visitor
Jackalneck
Message 7 of 11 (372 Views)

If you disable the wireless adapter and reboot the PC, the light should go solid blue (much less annoying than the blinking deal). However, if you are using the wi-fi adapter, then the simplest solution is a small piece of black electrical tape over the light. I guess you could cut or bypass the leads to the LED as well.
Occasional Contributor
Will Reilly
Message 8 of 11 (372 Views)

Bill and company,
Though I am not plagued by this anymore because I removed my wireless card, I did notice that there was a two wire black/blue twisted connection from the wireless card to the front LED. If you want to continue to use the wireless card, you can unplug this cable. I don't think it will affect the operation of the card.

Otherwise, you can do as I did, and remove the wireless card, and the somewhat cluttering wireless antenna wires that go up under the rubber "USB Device Cradle" on to top of the system.

Hope this helps.

Will
Occasional Visitor
Devin Schoeffler
Message 9 of 11 (372 Views)

Having this same problem with my new 9450f. Disabled the wireless and it's still blinking like crazy. When I turn the lights off it's like a rave or an alien abduction going on in the room.

Good to hear it's not an isolated incident though. I'm going to go the low tech road and put some tape over it or something.
Occasional Visitor
Bill Rebstock
Message 10 of 11 (372 Views)

Thank you everyone on this issue. I too need the wireless capibility so I'll go the black tape option. Seems kind of silly to have to use such a method for what's supposed to be a fine machine.
Lately however, the noise has been my biggest issue. I've done some research on it and that appears to now be an ongoing problem with some of the other 9340f's as well.
The sound is never consistant, therefore making it even more annoying than if it were continuous. I guess that this proble is for a different thread and will try addressing it there.
Occasional Visitor
Robert Hackenberg
Message 11 of 11 (332 Views)

I also have the blinking blue light on the 9340f. It blinks whether I am in windows or linux. Sure enough, it's the wireless card. In linux I disabled the wireless (don't need it right now because I'm close enough to the router to be hard-wired). Electrical tape, indeed!

With regard to the noise you are hearing. The video card has a fan on it that fails. I went through two of them under warranty until HP installed a newer version and now no problem. This is actually under recall by HP. The new card is all blue.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.