XP DRIVERS FOR Compaq Presario SR5010NX Desktop PC (4549 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Chong Kim
Message 1 of 49 (4,549 Views)

XP DRIVERS FOR Compaq Presario SR5010NX Desktop PC

I recently purchased the Compaq Presario SR5010NX Desktop PC and cannot find any Windows XP drivers, only for Windows Vista, which it originally came with, but I want to use Windows XP Professional....are there simliar product drivers that I can use for this purpose?

Thank You in Advance,
Sean
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Gene F
Message 2 of 49 (4,549 Views)

Re: XP DRIVERS FOR Compaq Presario SR5010NX Desktop PC

Sean, I would install XP Pro. Then, go into "Device Manager' to see if there are items with a yellow flag. This means that they are not setup correctly. If so, those are the items that will require you to find additional drivers.

Once you know which components require drivers, you can get the make/model and search the Internet for them.
Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Cheryl G.
Message 3 of 49 (4,549 Views)

Or,look up specs on your motherboard here.Then go to Intel.com to get Chipset software,Realtek site for Audio and network card drivers.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00910113&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3377251〈=en
``````````````````````
**Clicking the KUDOS star on the left is a way to say 'Thanks'**
*To help others find solutions, click 'Accept as Solution' on a Reply that solves your issue*
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
mcox
Message 4 of 49 (4,549 Views)

Cheryl G. states: "Then go to Intel.com to get Chipset software,Realtek site for Audio and network card drivers."

But my problem with drivers in the ethernet controller. Intel does not have it and neither does realtek. They do not even have the RTL8201E listed.

As suggested by Gene Funk, I looked at the Device Manager to see if there are items with a yellow flag. It listed 1. ethernet controller; 2. PCI Device; 3. PCI Simple Communications Controller; 4.. SM Bus Controller; and 5. Video Controller.

Although the monitor works (I suppose with a generic device driver), I cannot play music with XP's multimedia player, nor can I seem to write to CD with the LightScribe.

Any other suggestions will be very much appreciated!

_mike

With XP on the Presario
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
mcox
Message 5 of 49 (4,549 Views)

Cheryl G. states: "Then go to Intel.com to get Chipset software,Realtek site for Audio and network card drivers."

But my problem with drivers is the ethernet controller. Intel does not have it and neither does realtek. They do not even have the RTL8201E listed.

As suggested by Gene Funk, I looked at the Device Manager to see if there are items with a yellow flag. It listed 1. ethernet controller; 2. PCI Device; 3. PCI Simple Communications Controller; 4.. SM Bus Controller; and 5. Video Controller.

Although the monitor works (I suppose with a generic device driver), I cannot play music with XP's multimedia player, nor can I seem to write to CD with the LightScribe. OF course the ethernet is dead.

Any other suggestions will be very much appreciated!

_mike

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Roger Edrinn
Message 6 of 49 (4,549 Views)

I have the same PC with the same problem. The MB is made by ECS and you can go to their website and D/L the XP or Vista VGA driver, works great for XP.

I also D/L the Realtek Ethernet driver, unfortunately, it does NOT work.

I have an Airnet AES100 10/100 PCI card and I'm about to try it. The onboard LAN can be turned off in the BIOS.

I'll post back if it works.
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Cheryl G.
Message 7 of 49 (4,549 Views)

mcox.
Have you installed your chipset software?If you have the same machine or motherboard,install #3 INF Update Utility from Intel.That should get rid of most of the errors in DM.

This lan card has been problematic getting installed,some have installed a new card.Another user resolved it by connecting via dialup and going to Windows Update where a driver was installed.Still another has been to use the Realtek driver,extract it to a folder and force the install through DM,Update driver option and pointing it to the folder.
``````````````````````
*To help others find solutions, click 'Accept as Solution' on a Reply that solves your issue*
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Cheryl G.
Message 8 of 49 (4,549 Views)

INF Update Utilty,#3 here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2115&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Home+Edition〈=eng&strOSs=45&submit=Go%21
``````````````````````
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Cheryl G.
Message 9 of 49 (4,549 Views)

Lightscribe software can be downloaded directly,it is not an HP program.

http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadSection/windows/index.aspx
``````````````````````
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
dmhoo29
Message 10 of 49 (4,549 Views)

there is an extensive library of drivers at
www.driverguide.com
It's free,just click the skip button on the ad page and it is well worth it.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
mcox
Message 11 of 49 (4,105 Views)

One of the problems is that the Realtek product number listed by Compaq from the link Cheryl provided is incorrect. It is listed as "PCI Realtek RTL8201E 10/100Mbps" but really should be RTL8101E. Realtek provided me with the following link to the correct driver.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=2&PNid=14&PFid=7&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTy...

I have not tried it yet however.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Roger Edrinn
Message 12 of 49 (4,105 Views)

Hurray!!!

Got Ethernet working. As suggested, I forced the Realtek driver from the list of available network drivers. I used the Realtek RTL8139/810x .....

I still have two yellow "!" in DM:
1] PCI Device
2] SM Bus Controller

I removed the PCI modem card, no phone line. Not a clue what a SM Bus is, not sure I care.

At last, no more Vista and using MY computer with one hand tied behind my back.

Roger
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Cheryl G.
Message 13 of 49 (4,105 Views)

Roger
Did you install INF Update Utilty for your Intel chipset.It is #3 file here:

http://tinyurl.com/375b6a
``````````````````````
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Roger Edrinn
Message 14 of 49 (4,105 Views)

Hi Cheryl,

No I have yet to try that driver. However, I did install the 72MB Audio driver from the ECS website. That got rid of the PCI error and my speakers work. Now I only have the SM Bus error.

Will have to try your suggestion tomorrow. Got to catch up now, my ISP was offline for ~18 hours, thunderstorm and flooding.

Thanks
Roger
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Roger Edrinn
Message 15 of 49 (4,105 Views)

Cheryl,

As you suggested, I D/L this driver: infinst_autol.exe, from the URL you provided and the SM Bus is no longer in error.

Had to know just what an SM Bus is. Turns out its the System Management bus which is a two wire low-bandwidth bus for things like fan speed, temps etc. on the MB.

Thanks for the links.
Roger
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
peter dubon
Message 16 of 49 (4,105 Views)

Hey guys,

I've got the same problem that Sean had and I'm very glad that I found this thread. I got through filling in most of the drivers that were missing but I'm still having a problem with the

PCI Device
PCI Simple Communications Controller and
Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

I am having a problem figuring out which driver from ECS to download. Can you give me a hint as to which setup from ECS contains the correct driver for this nice new, and cheap Compaq.

Thanks so much.

-Peter
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Roger Edrinn
Message 17 of 49 (4,105 Views)

Peter,

Here's the MB:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00910113&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3377251〈=en

Use the ECS 945GCT model on the ECS website. Then find their drivers D/L page.

Roger
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Cheryl G.
Message 18 of 49 (4,105 Views)

Peter
You need to install the INF Update Utility from Intel,as posted above.
#3 here,#4 also if you have Intel Graphics rather than an addon video card;

http://tinyurl.com/375b6a
``````````````````````
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
peter dubon
Message 19 of 49 (4,105 Views)

Thanks guys, those links worked great.

Now the only problem that I have left is the DVD-RW drive is only showing up as a DVD-RAM. So I'm sure that driver is not corect.

My drive shows up as a TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H652M

I found a .bin file on some random website that was apparently what they called a driver for this drive, but it didn't seem to work.

Any ideas on how to find that driver?

Thanks so much.

- Peter
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
DennisLL
Message 20 of 49 (4,105 Views)

Thanks everyone. The forum has been a god send. I have done everything mentioned above, but I'm still having trouble getting the driver for the PCI Simple Communications Controller. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Dennis
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
peter dubon
Message 21 of 49 (4,051 Views)

Thanks so much, I figured everything out with the DVD drive. Had to uninstall it and reinstall it after I updated the chipset. Now it works great.

Thanks again for all the help.

-Peter
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Cheryl G.
Message 22 of 49 (4,051 Views)

Dennis
Have you installed Intel INF Update Utilty?If not install it from the last link I posted above.
``````````````````````
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
DennisLL
Message 23 of 49 (4,051 Views)

Hi Cheryl,

Yes I have installed the INF Update Utility. It was the 1st driver I found and tried. I know when I installed this it solved the SM Bus Controller issue, but the PCI Simple Communications Controller still remains in the DM.

I spent all weekend trying to set up this computer for my 10 year old sister and this is the only issue that remains. I thanked the heavens when you guys pointed me to the ethernet driver, but this Communications controller is starting to annoy me.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Roger Edrinn
Message 24 of 49 (4,051 Views)

I never saw the DM error for Simple Comm, it's possible its related to XP. What version are you running? I have XP sp2.

FWIW
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
DennisLL
Message 25 of 49 (4,083 Views)

Yes it is XP Pro with SP2
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation