Update notice box won't go away (10862 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Jo McIntyre
Message 1 of 12 (10,862 Views)

Update notice box won't go away

An HP Update popup box won't go away no matter what I do. The message in the box is: "An update is available. Would you like to download and install this update now?"

Clicking on the box doesn't do anything. I can turn off the computer and turn the computer back on and the box goes away, but then it pops up again and won't go away, again.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
dmhoo29
Message 2 of 12 (10,866 Views)

Re: Update notice box won't go away

Is the pop-up from the HP Update advisor?
If so,I would just remove HP Update.There are lots of people complaining about that service and you can get most updates from Windows Update or directly from the HP website.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jo McIntyre
Message 3 of 12 (10,866 Views)

Thank you, Dr. Hoo - I think that will do it. I actually changed the configuration settings. I've forgotten how to delete programs, so that way was easier.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
C Perry
Message 4 of 12 (10,866 Views)

I have had the same problem for ages and just realised that I can press the 'continue' button by dragging the box up, then hovering over where the 'continue' button should be (down and to the left) until I see a pointer, then pressing the enter button. I was then able to continue with the update process.
Hope this helps.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jo McIntyre
Message 5 of 12 (10,866 Views)

Thanks, CPerry,

Based on Dr. Hoo's info, I was able to figure out a fix that has worked so far. I'll keep you note in mind if this problem crops up again.

I do have another problem. I haven't been able to award points to these answers. Just know that I appreciate the help, especially because it worked for me!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Arie Maat
Message 6 of 12 (10,866 Views)

Mr. Perry,

I have the same problem.
Please tell me how to drag the box up. I can only move the whole window of HP Update.

Thanks in advanc for your answer.

Kind regards,

Arie Maat

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jo McIntyre
Message 7 of 12 (10,866 Views)

Arie Maat,

Since Dr. Hoo's advice took care of my problem, I can't even remember what I did or what the box did. I just remember it wouldn't go away until I rebooted my computer and it was unmoved no matter how many times I clicked on it. Very annoying.

I didn't understand CPerry's answer.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Sean E Griffin
Message 8 of 12 (10,866 Views)

The following worked for me. Drag the "HP UPdate" box up the screen. Then press the 'Enter' key. A dialogue box then pops up asking you to confirm the update and everything works fine from there.

Very annoying though and wasted time trying to find out how to proceed. What a terrible way to design a piece of user interaction software...
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
MURK
Message 9 of 12 (10,866 Views)

Sean Griffin's post was right on the money.
Thank you Mr. Griffin
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Richard Sapp
Message 10 of 12 (10,866 Views)

Thank you too Mr. Griffin. It worked for me too.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
economom
Message 11 of 12 (9,433 Views)

What an awesome simple solution!  Thank you very much.  But why would HP make this so lame?  Obviously it wasn't something most people could figure out on their own?  Weird.  Thanks again.:smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
PENNY
Message 12 of 12 (9,297 Views)

Thank you. My husband has had this window on his PC for nearly a year and we couldn't get rid of it. Now it is gone. Such a mine of information this forum.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation