THUMBS icon suddenly appeared on my desktop (468 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Message 1 of 4 (468 Views)

THUMBS icon suddenly appeared on my desktop

For not reason I'm aware of a THUMBS icon suddenly showed up on my computer. It resembles the Norton System Works icon in that it shows two gears (or wheels) turning together. Whatever this may be I wonder if it's running in the background too because my motor (fan) doesn't seem to ever stop now when my computer is on. The only thing I had done different was install Ezone securtity on my computer & AV virus protection.

Can anyone help me or shed some light on this. I noticed someone else posted this same problem but the thread was closed.

Thanks
Honored Contributor
Message 2 of 4 (468 Views)

Re: THUMBS icon suddenly appeared on my desktop

It sounds like you got something running in the background. If you are running XP hit Ctrl, Alt,Delete and click the task manager any process running should show what CPU usage is.You have the option to shut it down or if it is the antivirus it may be running a scan in the background.Also look for spyware. I use adaware by Lavasoft.Good Luck Ron Silver
Honored Contributor
Message 3 of 4 (468 Views)

It is definitely a running program, maybe it will stop in a while, but some, like Symantec's new "Genesis" will never stop...this will cause your fan to speed up always.

Hopefully, you can change it's settings to run at an interval, or when you want to run it
"Suma Cum Difficultade"
Acclaimed Contributor
Message 4 of 4 (468 Views)

The Thumbs icon is most likely a thumbnail.db file.Go into Control Panel,click to open Appearance and Themes(if you have Category View enabled)then choose Folder Options.Click on the View tab and put a check in "Do not cache thumbnails".

If the other constantly running fan is caused by the Ezone security and AV and undesired,it could simply be removed through Add/Remove in Control Panel.

Suggestions for a great free AV is Antivir or AVG:
http://www.free-av.com/antivirus/allinonen.html

http://www.majorgeeks.com/AVG_Free_Edition_d886.html
``````````````````````
**Clicking the KUDOS star on the left is a way to say 'Thanks'**
*To help others find solutions, click 'Accept as Solution' on a Reply that solves your issue*
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.