Sound is too quiet (with volume turned all the way up), a450n (525 Views)
Regular Advisor
Bob Smith_29
Message 1 of 20 (525 Views)
Accepted Solution

Sound is too quiet (with volume turned all the way up), a450n

I have all the volume settings turned all the way up. I posted this in another forum, and they said it was my soundcard. I have an hp a450n, and the sound was always this quiet, and everything sounded "different." Recently my new computer's power supply died out, and I used these speakers on my old computer, and it was extremely loud and had lots of bass. Is there any way to make the volume louder? If it's a problem with sound drivers, could you direct me to somewhere where I can find the right drivers? When I first got the computer, I downloaded realtek audio drivers.
Honored Contributor
Steven Hauk_1
Message 2 of 20 (524 Views)

Re: Sound is too quiet (with volume turned all the way up), a450n

Are these speakers self-powered?
Regular Advisor
Bob Smith_29
Message 3 of 20 (524 Views)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836121123

Those are my speakers. I can't remember what "self-powered" meant as it applied to speakers, though...
Honored Contributor
Steven Hauk_1
Message 4 of 20 (524 Views)

What I meant to ask is if they have their own amplifiers or they're dependent on the card. If you have speakers that aren't amplified, they sound very low on computers that don't have amplified sound coming from the card. Your speakers do in fact provide their own amplification, so that means you apparently have a software issue. Do you have the original Windows and drivers on the computer or has it ever been changed?
Trusted Contributor
CA1263359
Message 5 of 20 (524 Views)

Hi there Bob,

I believe you are using the powered speakers where in the speakers are connected separately to the wall socket. To troubleshoot this issue, try connecting the speakers to the orange port of the sound card and see if the sound output is okay. You may also download and install the updated sound drivers for Pavilion a450n from here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?dlc=en&lc=en&os=228&product=392522〈=en&cc=us&softwareitem=pv-25722-2

HTH
Venkatesh
Regular Advisor
Bob Smith_29
Message 6 of 20 (524 Views)

When I installed xp, I updated to realtek drivers because it is what microsoft found on windows update (actually it might've been a site that I went to that had all the firmware updates for a450n, which included files to flash bios, usb firmware, and I think it also included the sound firmware too).

venkatesh-

I think the way it works is that the power cable runs from my subwoofer to the surge protector, and the speakers are connected to the subwoofer (and are not disconnectable, I believe). Then the sound plug (that you plug into the out input port on the soundcard) runs from the speaker to the soundcard.
Honored Contributor
Steven Hauk_1
Message 7 of 20 (524 Views)

Seems like an update from the Realtek, might be worth a shot, although I don't know if the chances are all that good.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloads.aspx

I wonder if maybe there's a master volume setting that set too low.
Regular Advisor
Bob Smith_29
Message 8 of 20 (524 Views)

I just updated the drivers and it still can't go that loud (i.e. it's just as it was before). From your experience, what do you think the problem here is (keep in mind that on my other hp pavillion , the sound can go extremely loud)?
Regular Advisor
Bob Smith_29
Message 9 of 20 (524 Views)

Steven- Which download do I select from realtek?
Respected Contributor
Tony Higgins
Message 10 of 20 (524 Views)

There's a possibility that you have your speakers plugged into the wrong place. Some sound cards have two outputs. One is line level for connecting to an external device, such as a stereo receiver or a tape recorder, for recording or for playing through another device. The other is an actual speaker level output. Try plugging into to a different plug. Be sure to turn your volume down before you do.

Another possibility is that, even though you think you have turned the volume up, you may not have. CLick the speaker icon in your system tray if you have one or go to the sound devices section in your control panel. You should see an sound level panel that resembles an equalizer with sliders. Make sure you are looking at the playback part, which you should see by default. Click proerties and make sure all of the devices are showing. There are volume sliders for each one as well as a master volume. Turn the master volume up at least half way. Similarly adjust the slider for the device you are playing and make sure the mute box is not checked for either volume control.

Tony
Honored Contributor
Steven Hauk_1
Message 11 of 20 (525 Views)

Honored Contributor
Tom Leavitt
Message 12 of 20 (525 Views)

Bob:
I know this is a real reach ... but, what the
heck:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?lc=en〈=en&cc=us&os=228&product=392522&dlc=en&softwareitem=pv-25722-2
Tom
Learn From History
Honored Contributor
Richard A. Marx
Message 13 of 20 (525 Views)

A couple of thoughts...

Make sure Digital Output Only is not checked under Advanced options.

Make sure the Wave selection is not muted and the slider is not at a low level.

Make sure your speakers are plugged into the GREEN Line Out port.

Check the fuse in your sub woofer. It should be somewhere on the back. Look for it around the power cord.

If you have multiple speaker outputs on the back of your sub, try one of the others

Just another person with an opinion.
Honored Contributor
Richard A. Marx
Message 14 of 20 (525 Views)

One other thought...

If there is an ORANGE colored port with a speaker symbol, try using it. Even if it does not have speaker symbol, give it a try.
Just another person with an opinion.
Regular Advisor
Bob Smith_29
Message 15 of 20 (525 Views)

I checked and I don't have one of those orange ports. What exactly are they and what soundcards include them (or is it just high-end soundcards?)?

Also, will a pic of these settings help?

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/867/sounddigitaloutputsettings9pl.jpg
Honored Contributor
Tom Leavitt
Message 16 of 20 (525 Views)

Bob:
You might consider giving 'Points' to those who have tried to help ya :)

When you return to view an answer, please rate it by assigning points on a scale of 1-10.
To assign points, simply login and click the dropdown points menu next to each reply.
Use the following scale when rating a response:
N/A: The reply was a clarification to my original question
1-3: The answer didn't help answer my question, but thanks anyhow!
4-7: The answer helped with a portion of my question, but I still need help.
8-10: The answer has solved my problem completely! I'm a happy camper!
Learn From History
Regular Advisor
Bob Smith_29
Message 17 of 20 (525 Views)

Ah, sorry about that. I thought I did...must've been another thread? Excuses, I know.
Occasional Visitor
CA1347950
Message 18 of 20 (525 Views)

Hi Bob

You aren't alone. I am having the same problem with a HP Pavilion a1040a and a search of the net using Google and "realtek sound volume" indicates others who are having similar problems on all sorts of PCs with Realtek onboard sound. As far as I can work out so far its a quirk with the Realtek onboard sound that effects and unlucky small minority of users. See http://www.pcmech.com/show/troubleshoot/743/. The suggested solution there doesn't work as there a no jumpers on the mobo for this HP (see http://www.ctechinfo.org/manuals/pufferm_manual.pdfz for the mobo manual)

I've have sound but its at about 20% of the normal volume. The digital audio is greyed out and at a low setting on the volume control panel. This happened following a number of changes:

a) Installation of Sony Ericsson Image Studio
b) Swapping my USB Cable modem connection for a ethernet cable connection.
c) Installing the Creative Software Updates for the Creative Zentouch MP3 player.

I tried a system restore and swapping back to USB but that didn't help. I have also uninstalled and re-installed the Realtek sound and drivers but I still have very low volume. The volume controls on the sound effects panel etc are all set at max. The plugs are in the correct sockets and correctly inserted.

I have both a flat panel with speakers and Logitech speakers connected. Swapping there plugs around just confirms it's not speaker related. I have also plugged both sets of speakers into a MP3 player and they work nice and loudly with that.

I been playing around inistalling and reinstalling drivers with no luck and searching teh net for a solution. I can't swap to an aftermarket sound card either as I have no spare slots left. If I find a solution I will post again.
Occasional Visitor
CA1347950
Message 19 of 20 (525 Views)

This is interesting http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;888111
but HP don't offer it as a fix for these machines although they featureIntegrated Intel High Definition Audio so perhaps not.
Occasional Visitor
Winston Pool_1
Message 20 of 20 (525 Views)

Bob:
I too have had this problem on a a1050w pavilion. I have ordered some powered or active type speakers to see if that solves the problem. However awaiting the arrival of the speakers , and my time to get back to trying to work out the problem; I checked on the troubleshooting section on the HP webpage and it has a step by step suggestion on solving sound problems. One step I have not tried is to enter the BIOS and check to see if the onboard sound card is disabled or if the other sound card is enabled. Just a suggestion- I know I am also still working to solve my problem ( actually my son's computer problem).
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.