Replacing motherboard for Pavilion 7935 (125 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Doug_115
Message 1 of 16 (125 Views)
Accepted Solution

Replacing motherboard for Pavilion 7935

I have a Pavilion 7935 System #P5267A. I can't find a replacement motherboard for my PC. Does anyone have a good part number I can use to locate one or know where I can get one? The part number HP provide was 5185-5346. No on-line sites can locate this part number.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Y
Message 2 of 16 (125 Views)

Re: Replacing motherboard for Pavilion 7935

Can we ask why you want to replace this MB.? We may be able to help if there's some type of problem your having with it.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
CA655597
Message 3 of 16 (125 Views)

See the info at:

http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/OEM/HP/

They think it's an Asus A7V-ML or A7V-VM:

Another post reports a 7935 as an Asus A7V-ML.

There are lots of the Asus A7V-ML boards out there used but if it's a standard size then you are not limited to the A7V-ML. You can get just about anything which will fit in the space and which will work with the power supply.

Ron
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Doug_115
Message 4 of 16 (125 Views)

It's fried.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
charles k. norman
Message 5 of 16 (125 Views)

Well you are not going to like this. HP have the motherboards made for them on a propietary basis and thus the boards do not correspond to retail versions of the same motherboard. The motherboard BIOS is also different from the one used by the manufacturer so you cannot use a third party Bios to flash a HP motherboard.

The BIOS in HP motherboards is flashed with a tattoo which means that your Operating system will not work with another motherboard - even the same reference - if it (a) does not have the tattoo and (b) the HP BIOS.

Thus if you want to retain your ability to use the recovery disks then you are going to have to use the HP Motherboard. You will find that they are quite expensive - if available. You may sometimes find the part for sale on e-bay where someone has upgraded theri system and still has a working motherboard for your system.

How do you know the motherboard is fried. Did you go through all the troubleshooting steps?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Doug_115
Message 6 of 16 (125 Views)

I had a computer friend of mine look at it. At first we thought it was the power source, but it turned out to be working properly. You can turn the PC on and instantly it shuts down.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
charles k. norman
Message 7 of 16 (125 Views)

Since you presumably have access to the motherboard you will be able to get the printed references to the board from it to confirm that acual identity.

If for example your mobo is definitely Asus A7V-ML

http://www.pricewatch.com/2/2/723-4.htm

but remember this will not have the HP BIOS and tattoo so you would need a new O/S.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
charles k. norman
Message 8 of 16 (125 Views)

Ok Doug - I can understand the conclusion.

Ordinarily I would have started you off on this link on troubleshooting power supply issues:-

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph06788

and then taken you on to troubleshooting motherboard issues:-

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph06739

Perhaps you would still like to go through them. One thing you will need to do is check very carefully that all connections are correct and secure, memory is properly seated, drive cables are secure.

1. Have you carried out any upgrades recently?

2. Have you tried booting without keyboard attached?

3. Have you done any serious software upgrades recently?

4. When you switch on is their any sign of lights on keyboard, front panel?

5. Is the green power supply light on at the back of the system?

6. have you examined the motherboard and CPU for an signs of swelling on the caps, browning, burning on CPU.

6. Were you experiencing any problems before you reached the point where you could no longer boot

- System excessively slow

- System shut down on its own or would lock

- Signs of system running hot

- Noisy fans

- Poor connection on internet

- Noisy drives

- Slow access to data on drives

You can go through these questions yourself. I think the motherboard is a fair candidate but you need to go through the checks.
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Cheryl G.
Message 9 of 16 (125 Views)

Apparently this system has the same ill-fated motherboard as the xt983.

Santa Fe 3.x TriGem SantaFe KL133 (315C1.STD.0000.D.0109110938): 8800(P3091A-ARS), 8802(P3039A-ARS), 8805(P5187A-ARS), 8880(P3096A-ARS),
8882(P2901A), XT933, XT936, XT983, US 7935, A812, A815, A820, A830
``````````````````````
**Clicking the KUDOS star on the left is a way to say 'Thanks'**
*To help others find solutions, click 'Accept as Solution' on a Reply that solves your issue*
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Cheryl G.
Message 10 of 16 (125 Views)

Found the specs page for your model and it does have the same board as the xt983.Asus A7V-VM,SanteFe.Bad news.If you look around here at the forum you will see a number of xt983's.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=62755〈=en&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=bph07292

I dug around and did find the number to HP spare parts,given to me once by Tech support.1-800-225-5385
``````````````````````
*To help others find solutions, click 'Accept as Solution' on a Reply that solves your issue*
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
charles k. norman
Message 11 of 16 (143 Views)

Sorry to say Cheryl but Asus who made the A7V-VM motherboard is not the same manufacturer as Trigem that made the SanteFe. There were several models of the 7935 and you have to pick the right one to arrive at the correct motherboard. The most likely motherboard name for the US version of the 7935 is Tahiti but it could have been a number of other names. This motherboard identification process is one of the major shortcomings of HP documentation. Frankly I cannot understand why HP went out of its way to have so many variants. Reported failure rate for 7935 within the normal boundaries compared with the cascade for the XT983.

There are as you know a lot of errors and contradictions in the literature and even identification utilities do not always give the best of results. It has been further confused by the fact that HP have used more than one motherboard in the same model. It is for that reason I do not trust some of the literature and rely more on personal identification of the user in cases where there is a lot of fog and confusion. I think this is one of the models that fall into that category. Also the source of the information you used has not been entirely reliable.
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Cheryl G.
Message 12 of 16 (143 Views)

Yes,it seems so Charles,on further searching I have discovered several boards used in 7935 by HP.As evidenced by my own 7955, which by the specs should have the Amazon board when in fact it has the Dublin,the only foolproof way to id the board is by reading the info stamped on the board.
So,Doug,if you're game to open up the case and move some things away to get a look at it,post what info is on the board and we will try to give more help.
``````````````````````
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Cheryl G.
Message 13 of 16 (143 Views)

Just realized in looking back at my earlier post that I gave the link to the Asus board,rather than the page showing that this model uses either Asus A7V-VM or SantaFe board.The correct link,I hope,this time.
http://tinyurl.com/6d4ve

``````````````````````
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Doug_115
Message 14 of 16 (143 Views)

OK, hers's what I've found on the mother board. All the information was located at on corner of the board. It may make some sense to you guys.

SANTA FE - KM 01/08/09 -this is not a typo
S/N# 125156-0003329
Mat, No: 123509

Any other info you might want to see?

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Cheryl G.
Message 15 of 16 (143 Views)

Hi Doug
This board is indeed an exact match to the dead XT983 board here.You may want to do a little reading of the xt983 issues and decide whether to persue a repair by HP.If you decide to replace the board on your own,any of the suggestions of Asus A7V micro,matx,etc will fit.A standard ATX will not.Also if replaced with a non-HP board other issues to consider,recovery disks will no longer work.

A thread with much helpful info as well as a work around by Sherman Cahal on recovery disk installation not working.

http://tinyurl.com/53v5c
``````````````````````
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Dana Meisner
Message 16 of 16 (143 Views)

I have the same mb. Doug. It was dead when i got it and found out that it had a bad capacator and two bad ics. between the caps and the processor. Ihave replaced all bad componants but have not tested yet. Thats all for now!
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation