Re: Problems (BIOS related?) with Pavilion xL768 (153 Views)
Occasional Contributor
CA913327
Message 1 of 3 (153 Views)

Problems (BIOS related?) with Pavilion xL768

Two problems (most probably both BIOS-related):

First one: I bought and installed a CD-RW (hardware specifics are described below). My BIOS initially recognized it and I burnt few disks (on my XP, later on Win2kSP3 as well). But sometimes (both after restart and cold boot) the BIOS does not recognize the CD-RW. Sympthoms always include invalid (obviously corrupted) manifacturer string after POST
and the CD-RW drive is not seen under both OS-es. I have set the correct jumper positions and I have set the power and IDE cables correctly.

Second problem: I have two 40-gig harddisks. When I set them as "Primary Master" and "Secondary Master" they are recognized by the BIOS and work perfectly. But when I set them as "Primary Master" and "Primary Slave",
the Slave is not recognized. Again, I have set the correct jumper positions and I have set the power and IDE cables correctly.

My BIOS revision is PhoenixBIOS 4.0.6, harddrives are Maxtor (7200rpm and 5400rpm, models 5T040H4 and 34098H4, resp.), CD-RW is Digital Research, internal, model No DRCDRW481648.

Any ideas ?
Thank you for your help.
Manski
Honored Contributor
CA855659
Message 2 of 3 (153 Views)

Re: Problems (BIOS related?) with Pavilion xL768

Does the problem with the CD-RW happen on the same IDE cable that does not recognize the second HDD when you set it as slave? That is, does it happen when you install the CD-RW as slave on the Primary IDE cable? If so, try changing the IDE cable on the Primary (which I suppose is an 80-wire cable).
Honored Contributor
Richard A. Marx
Message 3 of 3 (153 Views)

Re: Problems (BIOS related?) with Pavilion xL768

Bios is not at fault here. Sounds like your jumpers are not set correctly. One HD should be jumpered for Master, the other Slave. Do not use the CS (cable select) setting. Make sure you are using an 80 lead 40 pin IDE cable. Set the newest, fastest frive as the master.
Just another person with an opinion.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.