New Motherboard for m8100n (698 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Parker Sanderson
Message 1 of 3 (698 Views)

New Motherboard for m8100n

Hello, I know a little bit about computers and I'm pretty good at putting them together. I'm just not too good at picking out the parts for them. Which leads me to my question. I want a new motherboard for my m8100n HP. I like the motherboard that came with it EXCEPT that it only has ONE PCI Express x16 slot. Eventually I would like to hook my GeForce 9800 GT graphics card up to another one. I pretty much want the same motherboard, only with TWO PCI Express x16 slots. Anyone got any suggestions.

p.s. Let me know if you need specs of what I have in my computer right now...(RAM, CPU, etc.)
Honored Contributor
Gene F
Message 2 of 3 (698 Views)

Re: New Motherboard for m8100n

Parker, HP buys their motherboards from several manufacturers. Yours was bought from ECS. Once HP has bought them, they make their own proprietary changes. One of the changes is tatooing it. This means that if you change the motherboard, you will no longer be able to use the "Recovery Disks" that came with your system.

Here is a to ECS's website:

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Products/ProductList_new.aspx?CategoryID=1&MenuID=7&LanID=0

You will have to do your homework to see if any of them is Crossfire (ATI)/SLI (nVidia) ready. You will also require a PSU that is Crossfire/SLI ready.
Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!
Honored Contributor
Gene F
Message 3 of 3 (698 Views)

Re: New Motherboard for m8100n

Parker, here is the "Motherboard Specifications" page for your computer:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01077676&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3440614〈=en

You can use it to match another motherboard to it.
Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.