Horizontal gray streaks on M70 monitor (110 Views)
Trusted Contributor
James Seidel
Message 1 of 7 (110 Views)
Accepted Solution

Horizontal gray streaks on M70 monitor

Horizontal gray streaks have appeared on my M70 display next to any black text. The band appears across the entire width of the screen. Happened suddenly in the past few days. Nothing new on my system, a Pavilion 8562 with all factory installed hardware and OS (Win 98 SE). nVidia display driver 28.32 installed 3/22/02 and performed perfectly until now. The only new program is "Screen Shot" from Borderbund. I disabled that program in msconfig so that it does not launch at startup with no change. Have tried various settings on the monitor controls with no change. Refresh rate is set to "optimal" in settings box as it has been since the system was new. Any suggestions how to get rid of the gray horizontal streaks on my display or do I need to take it in for repair? Jim
I'll try to help if I can !
Message 2 of 7 (110 Views)

Re: Horizontal gray streaks on M70 monitor

you can probably eliminate alot of your software concerns by noticing the same problem occuring in the bios... this is a common problem and only occurs on video cards that have overheated... either due to lack of proper ventilation (the original skywalker case doesnt have a ventilation fan) or a failed cooling system on the video card itself (since this Vanta card didnt come with a GPU fan that could fail and cause this problem, or a heatsink, again this is very likely)... the "fix" for this is to replace the video card
Trusted Contributor
James Seidel
Message 3 of 7 (110 Views)

Thank you Dr Beq, but before I replace my video card I want to borrow another monitor and see if the gray streaks appear on it as well. It is interesting to note that the fan on the back of the unit has been making strange sounds when the PC is first turned on so your theory about the overheating is probably right on. The whole inside of the PC may not be getting enough cooling and more trouble may come in the future if I do not get it fixed. You may not have only diagnosed my present problem but prevented future ones from occuring. As the gray bands appear on the Windows splash screen it happens before complete bootup into Windows. Any suggestions for me for an nVidia card that will work on a PC with my specs as most of the new ones require more system resources than I have. Thanks for your post! Jim
Message 4 of 7 (110 Views)

sorry... dont have any mojo that says what works and what doesnt work when going out of spec or upgrading video... seen some systems take upgrades fine, where it seems it shouldnt, and seen some that dont, where it should...

the "original skywalker" case that the 8562 uses, has 2 fans, 1 on the cpu's heatsink, and 1 that is visible from the rear, for the power supply... the power supply fan is not a very good ventilation fan... and i think HP knew that as well, so they made a few modifications to the skywalker, put the power supply on the bottom of a swing cage, put an 80mm ventilation fan above it (this would place the duct over the cpu), and that got rid of alot of overheating problems (not all)...

as far as video card replacement... I believe the 8562 uses a Kestrel-U MB, can support 4x AGP, and since there is no onboard video, that eliminates a few problems of some people trying to disable onboard video... one problem you may face are dimensions of large cards... depending on the layout of the system, you may run across the monster card that just will not fit inside the case, in your case, probably a collision with the drive bay... if installing/replacing the video card, you may want to open the drive bay (not necessarily remove) first before removing/adding an AGP card, then when the card is inserted, slowly close the cage, make sure the cables are folding between the card & drive cage nicely, then see if you have enough clearance for the card (or just leave the cage open for that larger than normal "upgraded" look)...i hear some people recommending ATI, however I have never seen stability in ATI's drivers, and prefer the nVidia cards, instead...
Trusted Contributor
James Seidel
Message 5 of 7 (110 Views)

Thanks again. I do not do hardware. I will probably take my PC to CompUSA and let them do everything. I could use more memory on my system so I will probably add that too while I'm at it as well as an air blow cleaning job that they offer when they do upgrades with the case open. One more question, I had a NEC computer prior to this and I had to replace the CD-ROM drive. After that the recovery program would not run because of the new hardware being present. The recovery CD would only run to completion with all original hardware. At a NEC repair facility they were able to run the recovery for me to the tune of $80 but I could not do it myself. Will this happen with my HP if I replace the hardware? Jim
Message 6 of 7 (110 Views)

about the only thing i can think of is that the recovery itself will complete successfully... however the registration screens on first boot wont look right, since they wont have a video driver loaded or the proper video driver loaded.. will have to be done after the first boot registration screens... the good news i guess is that 8562 uses Win98, and the Win98 reg screens use scroll bars if all of it cannot be display (such as using a standard vga driver at 640x480), which will allow you to pass those (im sure the computer is already registered & past warranty), and install the correct video driver for the video card, etc
Trusted Contributor
James Seidel
Message 7 of 7 (110 Views)

Thanks again. My recovery CD is still sealed in the original double jewel case and with luck it will stay that way.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.