HP Update notification pop-up problem (315 Views)
Occasional Advisor
JohnR
Message 1 of 5 (315 Views)

HP Update notification pop-up problem

I'm having a problem with HP update- but only with the pop-up notification. Wondering if others have seen this problem, or there a way to fix the problem below?

A blue/white HP update window pops up to tell me an update is available, but the words are off-center to the right and slightly cut off and there are no buttons to click (see JPG attached) so clicking does nothing. I suspect it might be because I changed the display font size DPI from 96 to 120 dpi and it no longer fits in the 96-dpi window. If so, maybe HP can fix it.
Sure, I can do a workaround or disable it, but shouldn't the update simply work better? My work-around is to close it each time using Alt-F4 (not an obvious solution to other inexperienced users). Then I can still run HP update from the Start menu, and that will prevent the update notice from popping up again - until the next update. At least I get the notification that way.

Thanks, John
Honored Contributor
dmhoo29
Message 2 of 5 (315 Views)

Re: HP Update notification pop-up problem

John, Many have been plagued with the dreaded HP Update.
Myself and others will suggest removing it from your p.c..Allowing this feature to run could cause problems for you.
Some have lost computers to this dreaded program.It has been known to install the wrond updates and install the wrong BIOS update.Which can completely disable your p.c..

The complaints from your previous post could also be linked to HP Update.I usually suggest running Windows Update and checking your p.c.'s driver page for updates.

Please keep in mind when it comes to the BIOS that just because there's an update does not mean it needs to be installed.
Only install certain updates if your having issues with that item.
Advisor
Richard Kosinski
Message 3 of 5 (315 Views)

dm,

I have never given much thought to what my PC has been downloading from HP, assuming, of course, that HP must kno3w what my PC requires. My Desktop is 3+ years old, should I still be concerned about those HP updates?

Thanks!

Rick
Honored Contributor
dmhoo29
Message 4 of 5 (315 Views)

Yes Sir.If you notice at times it does not give a description of the update.That alone should scare anyone.
It says something like an important update has been installed or needs to be installed and gives you info of the SP like sp12345.exe.
Most people don't take the time to search for that and just click install.Just type in HP Update at the top of this page in the search box and read some of the previous posts.
Advisor
Richard Kosinski
Message 5 of 5 (315 Views)

dm,

Thank you very much! I never have given this a second thought, maybe I better start! Your advice is much appreciated!

Rick
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.