HP Pavillion m9180d keeps cycling power on / off (309 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Geoff Morgan
Message 1 of 5 (309 Views)

HP Pavillion m9180d keeps cycling power on / off

last night I tried to switch on my HP PC and nothing happened - the power comes on for a few seconds then turns off and goes into an endless on/off loop. I tried disconnecting the power cord with no luck, then opened the cover and disconnected the power connections to the devices to see if that helped - again with no result. If I disconnect power to the motherboard the PC power stays on, but that obviously doesn't help! I haven't installed any new devices lately and the PC has been runnign fine until this (apart from a video card failure a few months ago). where do I go from here? Clear the CMOS and try that?
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 2 of 5 (309 Views)

Re: HP Pavillion m9180d keeps cycling power on / off

Plug the connectors to the Moterboard and other devices back in and make sure that they are tight. Unplug the power cord and press the power button and hold for 10 seconds It would be wise yo wait for another 15 to 30 minutes. Plug the unit back into the power and see if it will come up. What you are doing is reseting the power supply by this procedure. See this article. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph06788&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=...〈=en
Frequent Advisor
PC_Tester
Message 3 of 5 (309 Views)

I'd try booting into Safe Mode (F8) and then uninstall Norton Internet Security (if your subscription already expired) reboot back into Safe Mode and then try running System Restore to a previous date/time where the system was working fine. Good luck.
Occasional Visitor
Geoff Morgan
Message 4 of 5 (309 Views)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I could not boot into safe mode as the PC never got that far. Using advice I found on another forum I switched the jumber to clear the CMOS and then switched it all back on again. All is working fine again now... Strange.
Occasional Visitor
Lisa Freschi
Message 5 of 5 (309 Views)

Our computer is doing exactly the same thing, continues to power cycle but will not boot, and can only be shut down by unplugging. I did try replacing the power supply today, but that did nothing. Would you please tell me how to fix the problem. I do not know how to clear the CMOS. Thanks!
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.