HP Pavilion 8670C CPU and RAM upgrades (KESTRAL) (689 Views)
Occasional Visitor
BR976825
Message 76 of 89 (333 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion 8670C CPU and RAM upgrades (KESTRAL)

still having problems with Promise 133 card. Have upgraded Promise BIOS to 2.20.0.15 ; may need to source a different product. Did you have to disable the HDD controller on the HP Pavilion Motherboard ? or did the Promise card just work once installed. thx
Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 77 of 89 (333 Views)

Do you have the P2b-VT MOB?

This PC did come with 2 if not 3 MOB's.

All should work though with the Promise card.

Makes me think you got a bad Promise card. You should see the bios of it coming up right before the OS splash screen (XP). It should say the bios version, what hard drives are hooked up etc.

I did NOT have to change any setings for the Promise to work. Pretty much Plug & Play.

I did upgrade the one years ago (the bios) but it really never needed it.

http://www.promise.com/support/download/download2_eng.asp?category=all&os=100&productID=87

I did have to use the F6 method once, but i do not remember the reason why.

Again, if you can not get it to work after following the instructions by Promise on installation, I would suspect you got a bad card. Return it and get another.

http://www.promise.com/upload/Support/Manual/u133_manual_Promise_v2.PDF

Rich
Occasional Advisor
CA1504865
Message 78 of 89 (333 Views)

Hello Rich;
Since my last reply on this forum, I have installed 2 1000 SL4BS cpu's on our 8670C computers and they work great! Next thing I plan on doing is flashing the bios with the 1.16 version. I am also hoping to find 6 sticks of 512 memory to put into these units someday too.
But right now I am having some troubles with my "purchased to experiment on" computer. The Pixie 770C monitor had only 2/16 color screen and very poor n fuzzy. I tried to find a driver for the screen but the web address given to me, pixie.com, did not bring me to the Pixie monitor people. :-(
So I started looking at the vid card and discovered that it was a Stealth III S540 AGP 16 MB card by Diamond. The installed wares on the computer showed Riptide Nvidia.
So I hunted down a driver for the Stealth and installed it. But during installation it said a newer driver was installed and asked if it should leave that drive in and I hit yes so then it went on installing all the other stuff. Now I have 256 colors but screen is still not clear, got some fuzzy in it yet.
1. First question, what could the problem be and the solution to it? Reinstall?
I see you have installed Nvidia 6200 w 256mb RAM. I looked on ebay and there were several different types of Nvidia 6200 vid cards.
2. What vid card would be the best one to get for the HP if I were to replace that Stealth card? Were the Stealths any good?
I am also looking at putting in a Promise card but there are several different ones listed in ebay for them too. One was "Ultra ATA 133/100 IDE RAID PCI Controller Card New" another listed was "NEW 2 PORT PCI ULTRA ATA 133 IDE CONTROLLER CARD &CABLE" and another listed "PROMISE Ultra133 TX2 ATA 133 PCI IDE Controller Card".
3. So what is the best choice here? Are these all Raid units or is there differences?
I am not up on this stuff so any information would be great!
I have been thinking about going to
http://www.sisoftware.net/ and get Sandra to see the differences as I update these computers but have not pursued this avenue yet either.

It is funny, I have been on other sites that have talked about this P2B-VT mother board and many say they can not be upgraded beyound the origional specs and best to just purchase a new computer.
Thanks again, Jerry
Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 79 of 89 (333 Views)

The P2B-VT has the ability to have 1.5gb RAM. Now to take advantage of the speed of the RAM, I added a 3rd party bios on one of my 8670c PC. The other has 1 gb with the upgradedd HP bios.

I can tell you there are a few P2B MOB's out there. The one I have is a KESTREL.

It has the Apollo pro 133 chipset in it.

That is what allows me to go 1.5gb. I have documentation form VIA on it.

As far as your video card, it would be well worth updating it. FOr about $30 you can get a great AGP card for that PC and it will really speed it up too.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=FX5200-64MB&cpc=SCH

I have a fx 6200 256 mb ram and it screams.

Also as far as th e PROMISE is concerned, use the Promise Ultra133 TX2 model.

Rich
Occasional Advisor
CA1504865
Message 80 of 89 (333 Views)

Hello Rich,
Thank you for needed information. I am hoping to find a good cheap FX6200 like your vid card but seems every one of them goes for 20+ bucks with 10+ S&H oh well.
I will be keeping an eye open for the TX2 promise card also.
Now I have to get win 2000 to work with origional modem card.
Well that will be some more things to do.
Thanks again, Jerry C.
Occasional Visitor
Karl Escobar
Message 81 of 89 (309 Views)

Sir Rich
I've been google-ing a lot about the specifications of my Asus P2B-VT and then I found your thread about HP8670C which helped me a lot but can't seem to find any information about my question which is - Will the motherboard support Intel Pentium 3-s Tualatin core processor?

I will be using this kind of riser card to fit it in

http://www.tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=1386277

Hope you can help me shed light to this

thank you
Occasional Visitor
Karl Escobar
Message 82 of 89 (309 Views)

I forgot to put the complete id of the proc.Here it is

Pentium 3-S 1.4ghz Tualatin 512k/133/1.45v SL6BY
Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 83 of 89 (309 Views)

There are 2 of these boards so I can only speak for mine.

No it will NOT support a .4ghz Tualatin.

I would have done it if it were possible.

If you go on line at eBay, were a lot of them are sold and ask one of the sellers, they will tell you.

I also wrote the manufacturer just to be sure.

However, this board will support that rare SLot 1 CPU 1.133 ghz SL4HH Intel.

It had some bad reviews but I would love to try it. There was a comany in China selling them for aobut $30 each and had about 150 left.

Google SL4HH to get more info on it.

Rich
Occasional Visitor
Karl Escobar
Message 84 of 89 (309 Views)

Ok, 150 were made? wow that's rare. I'll just go with the 1ghz SL5B3.

Thank you
Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 85 of 89 (309 Views)

Sorry, 150 were not made... they bought so many and have them to sell.

The number was 200, my mistake.

Here is the link
http://tinyurl.com/55vabq

I have attached my CPU-Z dump that shows my CPU, it was not the Intel CPU model you mentioned.... mine has a c0 revision.

Rich
Occasional Visitor
Raymond-
Message 86 of 89 (309 Views)

Ok, sorry I'm pretty new to this, but I am looking to install XP Pro back onto my HP Pavlion 8670C. I am wondering a few things. Did this model come with Service Pack 2 off the line, if not which did it originate with? Another is that I have my product key for Windows XP Pro, so say it did come with SP2, would I have to install Windows with a XP SP2 disc, or can I use my key with any XP Pro disc?
Honored Contributor
Gene F
Message 87 of 89 (309 Views)

Raymond, in the future, it would be better to start your own thread even though this thread is about the same model.

Here is a link to the "Product information" pages for your computer:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prodinfoCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=57628〈=en

If you open the link titled "Product Specifications" and scroll down to the section titled "Complete software package" this is what it says:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 98 2nd Edition

Win98 2nd Edition was the original OS for your computer.

The maximum amount of memory recommended is 384MB. This is simply not enough to run any version of XP. The minimum memory for XP is 512MB. I can tell you from experience that 1GB is truly the sweet spot. Most computers will run poorly with 512MB of memory.
Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!
Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 88 of 89 (309 Views)

Pretty much all Gene said was true.

This PC came with Win98 SE.

XP was never introduced to this PC at all by HP.

XP will work with no problem though.

Although HP specs state this MOB (P2B-VT) can have only 384mb of RAM, it is not true.

If you read my thread above, you will see it will handle as much as 1.2gb of ram.

This PC will handle PC100 or PC133 RAM.

If your version of XP does not have SP2, do not worry.

You can upgrade to SP3 for free online.

Use the key that came with your version of XP or it will not complete for you.

I still have these 2 8670C's and both are running fine.

Rich

Occasional Visitor
Roger PS
Message 89 of 89 (309 Views)

Thank you Rich S for the information you have provided. I own a Pavilion 8500 CTO that uses the same motherboard and chip set. I thought the old machine was nearing the end of its useful life because it was struggling to run some of the newer versions of favorite software.

I had never considered upgrading because of HP's stated 384 Mb ram limit. I stumbled upon this thread and after reading what you had done, I figured there was nothing to lose.

So far I've installed three 256 Mb dimms with no drama. I'll switch to 512s when I can find a deal.

I discovered that Pentium 3 slot 1 CPUs are more expensive than comparable socket 370 models, so I found a socket 370 to slot 1 adapter complete with Pentium 3 1 GHz CPU with heat sink and fan to replace the original Pentium 3 500 MHz CPU.

At this point I still haven't upgraded the BIOS, but she's running fine.

I'm waiting for a new 400 watt power supply to arrive so I can upgrade the video card. Haven't decided yet between a Geforce FX 5500 or Geforce 6200. It will be nice to run the 22" widescreen at its native resolution.

This should all give the old computer another few years of useful life for about a hundred bucks.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.