HP Pavilion 6710 (75 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Timothy Rochford
Message 1 of 2 (75 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Pavilion 6710

Hi!

I'd like to know if anyone can tell me whether or not I can upgrade the processor i.e. the CPU on the Motherboard of my computer. The Pavilion 6710 comes issued with the following processor:

Intel Celeron processor module - 566MHz
Part No. P1381-69001

I've upgraded the RAM to the maximum advised by the Kingston Website and this now stands at 512mb or 2x256mb Memory Sticks.

But I'd really like to know if I can increase the processing power of the PC without changing the motherboard.

Please help,

Tim
Honored Contributor
charles k. norman
Message 2 of 2 (75 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion 6710

Hi Timothy,

The ability to upgrade CPU on HP versions of some of its motherboards is limited. Your motherboard is I believe a ASUS MEW-AM type but the specifications will not necessarily conform to those ASUS may have had for retail versions of the motherboard. It is often the case that the FSB is locked on the HP Motherboards and thus you are likely stuck at FSB66. The BIOS update for MEW-AM indicates that it provides support for multipliers up to 11x and with and FSB of 66.666 this would go to a CPU of 733MHz. This is not going to set the world alight on speed.

You will need to check out your motherboard - it should have MEW-AM on it but it has been known that different motherboards have been used in HP Motherboards.

Good Luck
Charles
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.