HP Pavilion 4450 4 beeps and no boot up (782 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Daniel J Rotondo Jr
Message 1 of 11 (782 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Pavilion 4450 4 beeps and no boot up

Any help would be appreciated.

All of a sudden this computer I have is not booting up.
1. Turn the computer on.
2. See the lights blink on the keyboards as usual but then the computer itself beeps 4 times.
3. Then you just hear the fan running and the computer wanting to do something but it never started the disk drive or anything.
4. Also on the monitor it says check signal from cable and I did try a different monitor and still same thing.

Nothing is working. I know that the 4 beeps mean something.....like a code of some sort but have no clue.
Any help would be great.
Thanks Dan
Honored Contributor
Ed Hart
Message 2 of 11 (782 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion 4450 4 beeps and no boot up

Try this: poer on, hit the esc key at the blue screen, you'll see the post page, when it beeps it will tell you...
"Suma Cum Difficultade"
Advisor
Rich Harvey
Message 3 of 11 (782 Views)

Have you added any new hardware recently?
Honored Contributor
Steven Hauk_1
Message 4 of 11 (782 Views)

Describe the sequence of long and short beeps. Also...you might want to try opening the case and removing and reseating memory and video card.
Frequent Advisor
Cajones_1
Message 5 of 11 (782 Views)

I used this search on 'beep codes' with google to find out why I got one long and two short ( video problem ) trying to install a GTS 2 mx 200 in my 6511ap Pavilion.
Btw does anyone use this model with an 'NVidia card', or what is the US equivalent to my Pavilion model #.
Thanks

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=phoenix+bios+beep+codes
What we do in life will echo in eternity
Honored Contributor
Ed Hart
Message 6 of 11 (782 Views)

It's the only one...

http://productfinder.support.hp.com/tps/ProductFinder?h_origin=8000&h_tool=prodhomes%2Csoftware&h_qu...

follow these links and frequent question pages, I think your video card project needs review.
"Suma Cum Difficultade"
Message 7 of 11 (782 Views)

video card?

whatever

1 long 3 short is usually some sort of video failure, sometimes as easy as the monitor not being plugged in... if you added a video card, remove it, otherwise *DO NOT* try to reseat the onboard video adapter... you may want to check to see if the onboard video is enabled when removing the card... make sure that VGAEN jumper is set to 1-2 and INT_EN is set to 2-3 (or if you have a video card, VGAEN = 2-3)

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=bph05160

could also be phoenix's undocumented 1-1-1-1 (4 evenly spaced, even length beeps) beep code, which is usually some sort of memory timing failure, where reseating RAM or eventually replacing it may fix the problem... may also be the motherboard failing as well
Occasional Visitor
Daniel J Rotondo Jr
Message 8 of 11 (782 Views)

Well I have been busy to get back to everyone that answered but I thank everyone for the replies.

I thought originally that the Video Card on the MB was bad....so when I had the time I was going to disable that and replace it with another one.

Well i decide on reseating the DIMM board because what Doctor said is exactly the beeps I was getting.....and i heard it might be a memory problem also.....plus the beeps werer
1-1-1-1 same tone in a row.

I did that and now I do get power up and keyboard flashes monitor kicks on but now I get 2 short beeps.....followed with an Error Message that reads this:

Resource Conflict:
PCI in Slot 01
Bus:00, Device:0B, Function:02

One other note is System BIOS it says is Shadowed
and Video BIOS is Shdowed

Thanks for all the help again and if anyone has knowledge on the Error message it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

Honored Contributor
Ed Hart
Message 9 of 11 (782 Views)

Try clearing slot 2, and change slot settings one at a time, something might work.

Find out what shares the IRQ, it may be your onboard, still enabled...
"Suma Cum Difficultade"
Occasional Visitor
Daniel J Rotondo Jr
Message 10 of 11 (782 Views)

Ed and all,

Thanks so much for all the replies.
Ed, I went and took your advice and reseated both slots 1 and 2 and this happened to clear the remaining error conflict.

I started with reseating the DIMM board and that made the 4(1-1-1-1 beep error code go to 2 short beeps.)
Then the PCI resource conflict came up on the monitor and i took Ed's advice and reseated both them cards and it has worked all weekend.

Thanks again people.
Even though I have a whole new upgraded system getting put together this week this saved me some decent money towards a new monitor and to have this computer either for spare or give to family memeber or such. :)

Thanks,
Dan
Occasional Visitor
AlexSmith
Message 11 of 11 (658 Views)

Thanx every one. I got the four even beeps. I reset the ram and it fired right up.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.