HP DVD Writer 840b will not recognize blank -r CD/DVD's (1008 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Marsha Ronsonet
Message 1 of 11 (1,008 Views)

HP DVD Writer 840b will not recognize blank -r CD/DVD's

I have a HP Media Center PC m7350n. With Windows XP. My problem is that my recording drive no longer recognizes blank cd/dvd -r's.
I recieve these messages: there is no disk in the drive. And: Please insert a writable cd into drive E:\
It will however recognize Play back on these disk and recognizes blank -rw's and all +cd/dvd's. I have already deleted the DVD writer and reloaded and I have already restored my computer to try and fix this problem. Can any one help?
Occasional Visitor
EDWARD MOFFAT
Message 2 of 11 (1,008 Views)

Re: HP DVD Writer 840b will not recognize blank -r CD/DVD's

This just started happening on my PC as well but slightly different. I have a HP Media Center PC m7277c. I was actually able to write to a blank CD-R but not to any DVD media I have (all DVD+R format). I haven't tried DVD-R media yet. Very strange.
Occasional Visitor
needshelpplease
Message 3 of 11 (1,008 Views)

Same problem HP m7250n. Any ideas? HP has been of little help and obviously this is something that has been affecting many of their systems.

This makes me question if I should buy another HP when I replace this one. Any replies would be appreciated.
Occasional Visitor
Sheryl Lonsbary
Message 4 of 11 (1,008 Views)

I have the same problem with 7330n. It will write on CD's but won't recognize DVD. Please help.
Occasional Visitor
JJ kennedy
Message 5 of 11 (1,008 Views)

I have an HP a822n with a DVD Writer/CD Writer Combo that us driven by Roxio Disc Copier software. Suddenly after having worked as expected since purchase, it will not recognize a blank CD-R when properly inserted. It presents a messaage saying "Please insert a blank disc into the recorder".

HP, why don't you respond to this issue?
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor
k g
Message 6 of 11 (1,008 Views)

Occasional Visitor
mike larson
Message 7 of 11 (1,008 Views)

Similar. I just burned some DVD's last week. Today, I went to burn another, and nothing. CD's burn/read fine. DVD's....nothing. No read or write. I followed the link for troubleshooting above. The 840b now has new firmware, shows up fine in XP device manager but doesn't do anything with DVD's...only CD's.
I've tried several different burning apps to no avail.

I'm thinking hardware failure at this point.

Any help appreciated.
Occasional Visitor
Fengyu Shu
Message 8 of 11 (1,008 Views)

I have the same problem with my m7680n Media Center PC. It can play CD and DVD discs, and write to CD, but not to DVD discs. I appreciate any tip to fix this problem. Thanks in advance!
Occasional Visitor
Robin Webb
Message 9 of 11 (1,008 Views)

I also have a PC m7350n. The HP DVD writer 840b does work with Nero 8. The 840b seems to be a problem for HP and internet research indicates there are a many users out there with a problem that HP is not addressing.
Occasional Visitor
John Pippenger
Message 10 of 11 (1,008 Views)

I have a D4100Y running XP media center, I have the same problem and so far, HP has been of no help and act as though this is an isolated incident. When you go to properties on this drive, does it advise you that the driver is a windows 2001 driver and the device type is : cd-rom?
Advisor
Devoe Steele
Message 11 of 11 (692 Views)

I'm a lowly hillbilly totally unqualified to render advice in light of the large number of prestigious wizards of geekdom that grace these pages, that I have such respect for.
~By all means first plz try the sound advice rendered the tecno wizards, but if that hasn't resolved the problem, read on~

I've had the same problem on the same model as Marsha, an HP Media Center PC m7350n,
as well as the problem discribed in,
"e drive is saying not accessible and incorrect function. How can i fix t", sumitted by, Heather Dunbar.

I've been able to resolve both, at one time or another with the same fix.
By the admittedly crude, very ungeek like, method described in my reply to Heather.
If any have the inclanation to try this homebrew fix, plz let me know if it worked for you as well it did for me.

If not, all thats lost is 15 more minutes trying to solve another of HP's great Gipsy Mysterys.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.