HP DVD Writer 740b Does not Read DVDs (908 Views)
Occasional Visitor
djenkins84
Message 51 of 104 (373 Views)

Re: HP DVD Writer 740b Does not Read DVDs

I think I can add some insight into the above problem as I too purchased an HP a1206n which came with an HP DVD Writer 740b. This writer, which originally worked flawlessly for CD's, DVDs and with "light scribe" for labeling special disks.

Last December it suddenly quit recognizing any variety of Blank Disks, giving out the message that the "disk is full", but it did continue to play all pre-recorded disks.

I did install the firmware update SP26595 to no avail.

And I did install a Pioneer DVR11D Dual Layer DVD RW as "Master" and dropped the 740b down into the "Slave" slot. But that did not help, The symptoms remain unchanged. Neither drive will recognize that a disk is empty, but rather will report it "full". And if you are testing a RW disk and you then try to "erase", Windows can't do it.

Which leads me to believe it is a firmware problem, not a hardware problem!! Proof being that I'm using the same firmware on both drives and neither works.

Further Proof of the above: If I copy any pre recorded disk to the hard drive and then cancel the second part "copying to a new disk function" and instead go directly to the recorded file on the hard drive, right click it and then in the drop down menu click on the "Copy to DVD SE" function, it will burn a copy without a problem. This works on both installed drives. I believe it does this because the firmware that checks the new disk for capacity is bypassed.

All of which is fine for DVD's but still leaves me on the short end for CDs.

So Mr HP, it looks as though the ball is still in your lap and we could use a patch.
Don

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
chris mac
Message 52 of 104 (373 Views)

Hi, Im totally confused as well, I can play a dvd movie, transfer it to my computer files but every time I try to burn the movie to a dvd it opens up and says please insert a blank cd, but they are blank. I thought I bought the wrong dvds but no, they are memorex dvd-r and I think that they are correct ones. Am not a genius on the computer and would love a little help from someone. thank you.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
jordan520
Message 53 of 104 (373 Views)

so am I to assume that HP got me for my money and I need to buy another DVD-RW drive and pray that the error dosen't effect the new one as well?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
jordan520
Message 54 of 104 (373 Views)

WHY does this thread have a MAGICAL ANSWER ICON next to it because I read every line looking for an answer and I still have none and I have the same issue so should the HP moderator assist with this issue and also change the Icon so it does not appear to be successfully answered.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
jordan520
Message 55 of 104 (370 Views)

I had Similar problem and this helped me I hope it helps yall

OK yes HP said that and I went to update and it worked for part but that error still poped up and said insert disk so here was my chat session with HP and it fixed it incase anyone else has the same issue.

I hope this helps others!

Higuel S: When exactly you receive the error message?
Jordan: No problem thank you for helping me.
Jordan: I have not used the DVD-RW drive in a while so yesterday when I tryed was the first time I have seen the error
Higuel S: Could you let me know the exact and complete error message?
Jordan: I tryed to copy a jpeg folder for my mom and it would not allow me.
Jordan: It said Please insert a disk into drive E:.
Jordan: There was one inthere so I replaced it thinking maybe it was defective but same thing to every CD-R and DVD-RW.
Higuel S: Let us check to see if the recording option is enabled.
Higuel S: Click Start>>My computer & right click on the drive icon & select properties, then click on the recording tab in the top row.
Higuel S: Check to see if the "enable CD recording on the drive " is CHECKED ?
Jordan: Then I updated and it said Rthdcpl.exe - Illegal System DLL Relocation

The system DLL user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly. The relocation occurred because the DLL C:\Windows\System32\Hhctrl.ocx occupied an address range reserved for Windows system DLLs. The vendor supplying the DLL should be contacted for a new DLL. So I went to MS web site as yall instructed to fix that error and I guess it did but still it says insert disk when there is one inthere
Higuel S: Jeremy, have you downloaded the patch for the user32.dll error?
Jordan: I right clicked the drive and went to prop but I see no ...yes I have...recording tab
Higuel S: Was it selected before?
Jordan: ??? I dont know. I have never done that but it use to copy jpegs to CD-R before yesterday.
Higuel S: Okay.
Higuel S: Jeremy, To resolve this problem, remove the temporary registry key, uninstall the CD drive or DVD drive in Device Manager, and then restart your computer. To do this, follow these steps:
Higuel S: 1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
Higuel S: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
oCDBurning
Higuel S: 3. On the Edit menu, click Delete. Close the registry editor.
4. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
Higuel S: 5. Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
6. Expand DVD/CD-ROM drives.
Higuel S: 7. Right-click the DVD drive or CD drive that is listed under DVD/CD-ROM drives, and then click Uninstall.
8. Click OK.
9. Restart your computer.
10. Follow the instructions on the screen when your CD drive or DVD drive is detected as new hardware.
Higuel S: Have you received the 10 steps I sent you?
Jordan: yes I am trying to do it now
Jordan: it says I have a back up to it delete it as well?
Jordan: it says BackupNoCDBurning
Higuel S: Okay. Delete the file and follow the steps to reinstall the CD/DVD drive.
Jordan: so delete both ?
Higuel S: I suggest you take a back up of the registry before deleting both files.
Higuel S: To make registry backup, first, you have to copy the file into another safe location.
Higuel S: 1. Run Regedit:
Higuel S: Click Start->Run-> Type "regedit"->OK.
Higuel S: 2. Export your registry:
Higuel S: At file Menu, choose export, save exported file as HPMY.REG, into the desktop.
Jordan: I already deleted the one u told me to delet and am needing to find out about the other so just back up the backup?
Higuel S: Okay.
Higuel S: Now, proceed with the other steps.
Higuel S: Well, you may have to restart the computer to make the changes take effect. In that case, this chat session will get disconnected.
Jordan: ok ty
Higuel S: Jeremy, when you restart the computer, you may or may not get back to me. I will give you the session ID for this chat session, so that you do not have to explain the issue again, when you get back to us.
Higuel S: The session ID for our chat session is: 10011011175431480153
Higuel S: The solution provided should work. However, if the problem persists, please get back to us with the results, and we will continue troubleshooting to resolve this issue.
Higuel S: Is there any other technical issue you want me to assist you with today?
Higuel S: Are you with me?
Higuel S: Please tell me if you are able to view my messages.
Jordan: yes i am now ty I think you fixed it
Higuel S: Are you able to copy the JPEG file now?
Jordan: I have restarted and it appears to b working now i am testing it now thank you for yourhelp
Higuel S: You are most welcome!
Higuel S: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Randoodly Brown
Message 56 of 104 (370 Views)

Just to let you know, the Rthdcpl.exe error is not related to your drive. It is related to a compatibility issue with two MS hotfixes that released today and Realtek audio. If it comes up again download and install Update for Windows XP (KB935448)http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx
To boldy go
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
HPnot4me
Message 57 of 104 (370 Views)

I bought an HP Pavilion a1250n. It too has the 740b DVD/CD Writer with the Lightscribe label function. I have had the computer since December of 2005 (about 16 months ago). I haven't used the DVD/CD burner more than 6 times. Now I get messages that media is not recognized or is wrong when it's the same media I used in the past.

Based upon what I have read from previous posts, this is a big issue. One would think HP would have addressed this but seem to be tight lipped as well as tight walleted about it.

I bought the computer to start a small business and I dont have extra money to go buying new CD burners (when I have only used the current one a minimal amount of times) as well as invest the time to do a fix that HP should have help on.

Insights??
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Joe_1079
Message 58 of 104 (370 Views)

I am having problems with my HP DVD Writer 740b too. It will read all CDs and DVDs but will only burn CDs. The computer is a HP a1230n. Please help.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
jordan520
Message 59 of 104 (370 Views)

the same errors occured for me and the above chat with HP fixed it if you would like to try.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Kristina Young
Message 60 of 104 (370 Views)

Well this has been an enlightening thread! I have been dawdling all year since purchase (regarding replacing my 740b). I called tech support right away when I could not access my home burnt pictures on a now-defunct laptop. I panicked, as my youngest don is totally digital. I haven't had game cd issues, or music issues, but one time playing a dvd it sounded like a durnk, as someone said. I can not burn anything. No home burnt cds will play. I went through the entire tech support thing. My warranty expired two weeks agao. and now I can't help but kick myself for not sending this in, because the tech support guy said that it was likely a hardware issue. ARgh! So those of you who have replaced your 740bs, have you had success? I can't get the machine to recognise the external cd burner I ahave.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Sunny9108
Message 61 of 104 (372 Views)

Just found out that I have a similiar problem: my HP a1210n 740b DVD writer won't write DVD's anymore. It plays both CDs and DVDs, and writes CDs, but not DVDs, even though it did so before. Sigh...
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Lori Weathersbee
Message 62 of 104 (372 Views)

As stated before, I had this same problem. I do not know a permanent fix, but when trying to burn a movie or cd and it says "please insert disk" if you change the "enable CD recording" option it will recognize the media and allow you to record.

For DVD I need "enable CD recording" checked
For CD I need "enable CD recording" unchecked

If anyone actually tries this fix, could you please post the results.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Chris Kurianowicz
Message 63 of 104 (372 Views)

I just wanted to add I also have this issue, and the drive use to work fine but would not burn at 16x as noted. This was trying with 20 different forms of dvd media. I am really annoyed that HP would not step up to the plate with a fix for this.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Chadrick Andrews
Message 64 of 104 (372 Views)

Wow, this is a disgrace to HP. This forum has been going since Nov. and HP has still not given a solution.

I'm having the same problem. One thing I just noticed is that my computer says I have the 740b but the box says I have the 740i. I don't know if that makes and much of a difference.

I've had the drive for almost a year and a half. It used to work perfectly fine, now:
It can read and write CDs
It can write DVD±RW and burn Lightscribe labels.
It will NOT read any DVDs (Movie, Data, Music, Game, etc.)

Windows says:
"This device is working properly.

Windows did not start a related device driver. To learn more, click the Driver tab and then click Driver Details."

Under manufacturer it says standard CD-Rom;
and under device description it says CD-ROM Drive.

HP I did NOT buy a CD Drive! I bought a DVD drive, and I would appreciate it if it acted that way!!
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Y
Message 65 of 104 (372 Views)

This is an forum only gang, contact HP directly via customer service, if you want a reply from them.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
mike stariha
Message 66 of 104 (372 Views)

I too have a 740b that will not recognize dvd's. I've tried some of the suggestions previously listed here and still no luck. What good is a computer if you can't load dvd data? What are you going to do for us HP?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Steven Hauk_1
Message 67 of 104 (372 Views)

This thread is a nuisance. It's always being bumped to the top with a rant. Like John Y says...

It's a USER forum! We're not HP! We're just using their website that they provide as a service. Really...This is a USER forum!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Ian Frazer
Message 68 of 104 (372 Views)

I bought a HP 740 DVD combo drive at frys. Seems like I'm having the same problem as everyone else, Doesn't read some DVDs at all, others it reads poorly.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
GJivan
Message 69 of 104 (372 Views)

Hey, Wow i still cant believe this thread is going on. Thank you all for your support. I just gave up and this Thanksgiving I probably will buy another drive. Thanks again .. it seems alot of people had trouble with this drive.

-Gopal
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Steven Hauk_1
Message 70 of 104 (372 Views)

Just gave up? After 9 months? A DVD burner at Fry's costs what...maybe $40?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
GJivan
Message 71 of 104 (379 Views)

Hey,

Haha well i did try everything that was posted and gave up after a while I just forgot about this forum.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
mikej48
Message 72 of 104 (379 Views)

Jordan520 and all: I have the same problem. THe DVD writer recognizes CD's but not DVD's. When I go to my computer & right click on the drive icon & select properties, then click on the recording tab in the top row, I don't have a recording tab. Any advice on how to get it?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Ray Tucker
Message 73 of 104 (379 Views)

I got the HP740I that wont read or burn any dvds.
It will read and burn cds but not dvds.
I contacted tech support and told them I tried different dvd media, uninstalled and reinstalled the drive and updated the firmware which all the update did was change the ID of the unit from 740I to 740B but nothing worked.
The reply I got back was to Try most famous media, Install and uninstall the unit
And I should upgrade the firmwared.

I replied that I have already done everything they suggested (I did understand what he/she was trying to tell me) I have yet to get a reply. When I called the tech line they told me I could only receive support thru Email.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
dmhoo29
Message 74 of 104 (379 Views)

Someone please close this Post. PLEASE
lol :-)
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Perignon
Message 75 of 104 (379 Views)

Dear fellows,

Seems that this thread is going to last for years. Probaly time to close it and open a complain to HP if necessary instead.

On the subject of exchanges of DATA between disks, I'd recommand:
1-Intel Application Accelerator for Intel CPU users.
2-On the subject of IDE optical disks. Burners would be better placed at the end connector (and jumpered for cable-select) of the cable that runs from secondary IDE port.
3-Any third party CD/DVD burner where HP failed proposing a fix for their own product.

Up to you to decide whether or not you are willing to purchase HP computers again, but this thread is not really the place where to lodge complains and cries.

Cheers....Alain
Frustrations surmounted are paving the way to expertise.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation