HP DVD Writer 740b Does not Read DVDs (966 Views)
Occasional Advisor
GJivan
Message 1 of 104 (966 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP DVD Writer 740b Does not Read DVDs

Hello,

Last year I purchased an HP a1206n which came with an HP DVD Writer 740b and have just been using it for CDs. Yesterday I tried to play a DVD and it would not recognize it. I tried a couple of DVDs and played it on a DVD player connected to my TV to make sure it worked. In My Computer the DVD drive is under Type: CD Drive so is that the reason why it does not a DVD? I am running Win XP SP2, 2 gigs of RAM, and that???s the only CD/DVD drive besides a virtual drive I have installed. Could someone help me? If you need more information please post it or contact me Thank you very much.
Pic:My Computer
Honored Contributor
Perignon
Message 2 of 104 (966 Views)

Re: HP DVD Writer 740b Does not Read DVDs

Hi Gopal,

Are you trying to read a "movie" DVD or a DVD containing data or a game? Also, is it a copy and, should it be the case, under which format -R/RW? or +R/RW?

Need to ask that since, most of the time, CODECs are the source of the problem (many of them are available on the net). Also, films can be written with a geographic zoning-code that should be identified or modified. To that extent, you may be wishing to consider installing a DVD player like "Power DVD".

On the subject of copies, see whether or not your DVDROM is -R/RW or +R/RW compatible or both.

Alain
Frustrations surmounted are paving the way to expertise.
Occasional Advisor
GJivan
Message 3 of 104 (966 Views)

Hey Alain,

When I insert any DVD it says Please Insert Disk. So basically it cant read any DVDs. I went to HP Support and been trying to get help from them. They said to use PC Doctor but the only one I have is PC Doctor Off line for Dos. The Dos version requires a CD to boot from and I only have one CD/DVD drive so I cant put a blank DVD and test it. Well thanks for your help I have updated to the latest firmware and have followed these instructions http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/fastFaqLiteDocument?lc=en&cc=uk&dlc=en〈=en&docname=c00365280
Thanks

Gopal
Honored Contributor
Gene F
Message 4 of 104 (966 Views)

Hi Gopal,

What program are you using to play DVD's. I would try Windows Media Player. The one learned, though I am not always with M$, is that their WMP will work when other programs won't.

Place the DVD in the drive and open WMP. It should play.

Let us know what happens.
Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!
Honored Contributor
Gene F
Message 5 of 104 (975 Views)

Hi Gopal,

What program are you using to play DVD's? I would try Windows Media Player. The one learned, though I am not always with M$, is that their WMP will work when other programs won't.

Place the DVD in the drive and open WMP. It should play.

Let us know what happens.
Occasional Advisor
GJivan
Message 6 of 104 (975 Views)

Hi Gene,

Sorry for the Late Reply. I have been out of town. Anyways, the Media Player is not at fault. When I insert any DVD blank, movie, game, or data it tell me to please insert a disk. Thanks a lot for your comment though. Any other ideas?

Gopal
Honored Contributor
Gene F
Message 7 of 104 (975 Views)

Gopal,

Did you install all of the software that came with the drive? My guess is yes, because it came pre-loaded.

I would go to the page for your drive on the HP site to see if there are any updates for the software.
Honored Contributor
Gene F
Message 8 of 104 (975 Views)

Gopal,

Here is the link to a page that might help:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00495454&lc=en&cc=us&x=8&dlc=en&product=502021〈=en&y=11#N624

It gives you some idea of what to try.

You might try updating the firmware. Sometimes this helps, since there may be problems with the original.

Also, I am running XP Pro SP2. In the "Device Manager", my "DVD-Writer 640i" is listed under "DVD/CD-ROM drives". It is listed as a DVD-Writer 640c. The "c" designates which firmware update should be used.

I'll continue looking for other ideas.
Honored Contributor
Perignon
Message 9 of 104 (975 Views)

Hi Gopal,

Well let's present it like this.

DISEASE 1
No DVD read whichever the content is, but some CDs, audio in particular can however be read.
You may give a chance to the appropriate firmware and/or try cleaning the lenses. This said, most of the time, the problem lies with the sensors.
DISEASE 2
Some CDs and/or DVDs are simply rejected and the drawer reopens after a short while. Sensors are definitively out of order.
DISEASE 3
The system doesn't read any optical drives (no DVD, no CD). DVDROM is definitively dead.

Anyway, it's time thinking of purchasing a new combo. Bad news I know...BTW, same thing happened to me twice during the warranty time. Therefore been moving to another model.

Alain
Frustrations surmounted are paving the way to expertise.
Occasional Visitor
D.R. Doc Young
Message 10 of 104 (975 Views)

I purchase the a1419n with the same DVD Writer and it will only recognize Audio CDs and Data CD's I have burned on another machine.

I purchased a HP DVD Writer DL 840x and it recognizes DVD movies and CD's. I have to the best of my knowledge updated Codec's XP Codec's 1.0.1, DivX 6.0, DVD Decoder Pack For Windows XP, etc.

I have ran PC Doctor, uninstalled the device and re-booted, same thing. Properties for the 740b, show working properly. It just does not view DVD's, even blank DVD's.

So either this particular model, sucks. Where the 840x does on the same system.

So I guess bottom line is toss the 740b and replace with another 840x or better.

Any suggestions on why the 740b never worked from day one is appreciated.

Thanks, Doc
Occasional Visitor
Muzakmr
Message 11 of 104 (822 Views)

I also have a 740b, but have the opposite problem. I can read and write DVD but can not write to CD. Tray opens with message to insert blank or rewritable CD. I am using brand new CD R all purpose CD to write audio disc. I tried to update drivers but HP said nothing new. Same rejected CD whether I use sonic CD burner, or W Media player to burn.

Is there a real solution out there?
Thanks to anyone...Mike
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 12 of 104 (822 Views)

Try a different Brand/color of CDR I have a writter that is failing it will write a CDRW but not a CDR at a reasonable spedd the CDRW requires about 300 degrees the CDR requires 700 degrees.
Occasional Visitor
D.R. Doc Young
Message 13 of 104 (822 Views)

To Ron Silver "Try a different Brand/color of CDR I have a writter that is failing it will write a CDRW but not a CDR at a reasonable spedd the CDRW requires about 300 degrees the CDR requires 700 degrees."

The problem with the 740b writer is not about what type of CD...it will read all CD data disks, play music CD's...it is the DVD's it will not recognize or burn to. In the same computer with the 740b, I have a 840 and it burns to both DVD's and CD's and reads the same. The problem lies with the 740b. I have downloaded any and all Codec's too...and if you read the thread the majority problem with this writer is not being able to read DVD's, if it cannot read them, it cannot burn to them. What sucks is where is HP reading this thread and giving us an answer. We bought their product and now we have to try and solve the problem ourselves...HP you got our money, now give us a fix or replace our drives.

D.R. "Doc" Young
Occasional Visitor
Lori Weathersbee
Message 14 of 104 (822 Views)

I had the same problem. Try opening the drive properties, go to recording and uncheck the "enable CD recording on this drive." You will have to reselect it when switching between formats, but both drives will work. Good Luck
Occasional Visitor
Juan Rabasa
Message 15 of 104 (822 Views)

I have a HP a1240n with the same 740b writer. When I first got it, I could record on DVD disks. Now, it does not recognize a DVD, but does a CD. Am getting discouraged and hope someone can come up with a solution.

Am not a computer freak, but if I purchase an external DVD writer, will the computer give me an option to record on it?
Occasional Visitor
D.R. Doc Young
Message 16 of 104 (822 Views)

Juan Rabasa

It is obvious HP is not reading these messages and I see everyone keeps replying with they too have the same problem or a variation. I do not think anyone has a efinitive answer.

How I resolved the problem was get the 840 and it works fine. So my answer is replace the 740b drive with the 840 or buy the 840 and slave the 740b and use it for reading/recording CD's only.

I have tried so many codec's and nothing has changed the 740b's performance. I have checked properties for the drive and made sure on the Recording Tab that Enable CD recording on this drive is checked. However, this has nothing to do with whether or not the 740b reads/writes DVD's.

Good Luck and I wish HP's Tech's would join in on these message boards or have a live Tech for answering their PROBLEMS!

D.R. "Doc" Young
Occasional Visitor
Troy Dismuke
Message 17 of 104 (822 Views)

Having same issues and HP support dances around the problem. Maybe they need to send new drives that work to all purchasers with same DVD drive to make this right.
Advisor
WARREN STEFFEN
Message 18 of 104 (822 Views)

I too have this problem. Same system purchased about the same time. My system will do DVD-r ok, but will not do DVD-RW or DVD+rw. I have a new Camcorder with DVD as the storage media and
the HP junk drive will not read the RW media. It reads just fine on the DVD unit attaches to my TV.
Occasional Advisor
FLOYD BANKS
Message 19 of 104 (822 Views)

I just want to echo that I too have had problems with the 740 disk drive. My variation is that my cd drive plays all original content, but 80% of the time, it fails to recognize any created disks of music or other media content. The drive also has has a problem where the audio drags so that it sounds like a drunk person speaking. The HP customer solutions has been either unintalling & re-installing the IDE controllers or a complete factory reset of the computer, which is annoying because then you have back up and re-install everything else that you desire to use or have created.
Occasional Advisor
FLOYD BANKS
Message 20 of 104 (822 Views)

Today I went and purchased a new dvd burner\player to see if that would solve my problem. Indeed, now I can read all files from all types of disks, so now I know that there's definitely something improper going on with the 740b burner\writer that came with this computer. I had to do my test with the new burner connected, but hanging outside of the computer because the case design
is horrible for replacing the optical drive. There's a metal plate blocking where the expansion bay is where a second optical drive could be placed and I can't figure out what all has to be taken out to do the job, nor do I have the tools to do it.
Occasional Visitor
RHWRD
Message 21 of 104 (899 Views)

They have your money and won't stand behind their product. Am I suprised, No. Disappointed, Yes. What's the saying about the cost of keeping a customer. I have a couple HP products which will be replaced by anything but HP.
I've submited my email to tech support but after reading these emails I don't have high hopes to get my DVD working again.
Advisor
WARREN STEFFEN
Message 22 of 104 (899 Views)

I have found that the drive in my system that I have problems with, is actually a Hitachi-LG GCA4166b. I would like to know if other people with problems have the same drive. Is this the case??
Regular Advisor
Les Feinstein
Message 23 of 104 (899 Views)

I guess I don't understand the problems people are having with HP. Is the computer still under warranty? I, too, had a 740 drive give me some problems (while my machine was still under warranty). I made a phone call to HP tech support, and while I agree that the first-level tech support people are basically automatons, they immediately sent me a replacement drive (a different, but equivalent, model). Nothing wrong with that service! Of course, if your machine is out of warranty, don't expect a free replacement.
Floyd, let me assure you that the HP cases are not horrible; they are the easiest to work with that I've seen. The metal plate that you refer to covers the unused bays to prevent RF interference, and easily pops out.
If you do a little bit of looking on the HP site, you can download a service manual that will show you how to replace items on your computer, complete with pictures. You should be able to R&R a drive in 5 minutes, without tools.
Advisor
WARREN STEFFEN
Message 24 of 104 (899 Views)

My problems with this drive are only DVD+RW & DVD-RW. I did not get around to using this type of media until after the warranty ran out. That said, it appears from this forum, that HP knows the drives are very flaky and should replace them anyway.
Occasional Advisor
FLOYD BANKS
Message 25 of 104 (899 Views)

Les, you were correct about the R&R for the optical drive and the expansion bay. I figured that out later on that day. I do appreciate your insight & input. Thank you. I do however sincerely believe that HP has been aware that there are issues with the 740b drive and that they should be held accountable for reolving issues amicably whether the computer is in warranty or not since it's a manufacturer defect. As previously stated, pretty much from about a month after my purchase, I had problems ranging from audio drag to the drive not recognzing when certain disks are installed.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.