File header checksum (1429 Views)
Occasional Visitor
zvengeance
Message 1 of 4 (1,429 Views)

File header checksum

Ive got a HP Pavilion a6490d Home PC. It showe up aBSOD. I rebooted it. Then it emitted a long continous sound. I suspected is the ram. So I took out one of the RAM. But now, it cannot startup to window. It states 'The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum.' My harddisk is screwed? Any solution?
Trusted Contributor
Carl Hennig_1
Message 2 of 4 (1,416 Views)

Re: File header checksum

The RAM is generally in pairs. Remove all but the basic 1GB or 2GB. Depending on your total amount.

Do you see any text on your monitor as it tries to boot?

If no, then you may have a graphics card problem and not a RAM problem.

Check the technical docs for the motherboard. There should be an explanation of the error sounds when booting.

Occasional Visitor
zvengeance
Message 3 of 4 (1,412 Views)

Yeah. The RAM is in pair. 1GB each. However, I can't boot with my basic 2gb. Whenever i tried to insert the 1gb RAM into memory bank 2, it emits the long continous beep. If I go with 1gb in memory bank 1, it starts up with the normal phoenix-awards bio screen (doesnt seem normal since I always get a blue hp logo startup when everything was fine), but then ends up with the file header checksum error.
Trusted Contributor
Carl Hennig_1
Message 4 of 4 (1,410 Views)

Replace the 2GB of RAM, not just the one stick..

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.