Can't update Intel graphics driver (134 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Vonette Miller
Message 1 of 7 (134 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can't update Intel graphics driver

My son just bought on online game called World of Warcraft, and it causes our computer to crash now and then even though we meet the specs for the game. When the computer comes back up after a crash, the error message indicates that the problem is with our Intel graphics driver. I researched the WOW site and the Intel site and determined that this type of problem is usually resolved if you update your graphics driver. We have the Intel 915 Express Chipset family (which is listed as a supported card for the game), but the driver is 2 years old (and the game was tested on a newer driver version). So I went to the Intel site and downloaded a newer driver for our chipset, however when I tried to install it I got a message that it was not verified for our computer. I searched Intel's site to find out why I was getting that message (since it WAS the correct driver for our chipset) and found out that HP uses a customized Intel driver for my computer (Pavilion a1113w). Intel says I have to get the driver from HP. So, I went to the HP site and found out they don't have an updated driver for my computer! So I'm stuck with a 2-year-old driver that doesn't work for a current game! I even tried a work-around suggested on Intel's site to install the newer driver, but my computer still refused to install it.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and found a solution? Is there a way I can get my computer to install the new driver even though it isn't customized for my Pavilion? If I can do this, is it recommended or is it likely to cause more problems than it solves?

I'm not a computer expert, but I learn quickly. I've already tried turning the graphics settings on the game lower and playing it in windowed mode, and that made it crash less often but it still crashes. Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks for any help!
Honored Contributor
Ken Greene
Message 2 of 7 (134 Views)

Re: Can't update Intel graphics driver

Hi Vonette: I have bad news for you & your son
all versions of Warcraft & especially WOW(World of Warcraft) needs a conventional video card not a mere video chip! because of all the complex drawing & motion that the game entails.
back in 2003 a friend of mine introduced me to this game.
he had a 2001 model Compaq Presario 7110
with a 64MB Nvidia GeForce 2 MX Video adapter and since my 2001 Pavilion 7965 had a 32MB Nvidia TNT M-64 video adapter he let me play the game. I now have a custom built machine with a 128MB GeForce 6600 video adapter and have my own copy of Warcraft III Reign of Chaos & Frozen Throne.
because of the fact that integrated video is a parasite, divided between main memory & video that's why your machine is crashing
because of the sharing your machine has less main memory(on a machine that has 512MB
overall once you devote 128MB to run the game that means you're left with a mere 384MB's to run other programs.
I would get either an 128 MB ATI X 1050
or a 128MB Nvidia 6600.
and if your machine can't handle that then try & get either a Radeon series from ATI or a GeForce 5500. either one will run the game just so long if the video is independent of the main memory.
Hope this helps you
Good Luck
Ken Greene
Acclaimed Contributor
Cheryl G.
Message 3 of 7 (134 Views)

I agree with Ken,the onboard graphics and limited memory of this machine are very restricting.A newer driver will not solve either.

Adding more memory would be a good first step,you have 512mb which is shared with video leaving scant amt for system.You could remove the 2x256 and replace with 2x512 for $60,or replace one of the sticks with a 1gb for $50.

http://www.memoryx.net/hepapaa1me137.html

You don't have an agp slot for a video card,but a pci video card would offer more performance over the onboard.(Don't confuse the pci with newer PCI-E slot cards)

Examples of pci video card:

http://tinyurl.com/2prtym

http://tinyurl.com/2th56f

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143032
``````````````````````
**Clicking the KUDOS star on the left is a way to say 'Thanks'**
*To help others find solutions, click 'Accept as Solution' on a Reply that solves your issue*
Occasional Visitor
Vonette Miller
Message 4 of 7 (134 Views)

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I should have mentioned that I already upgraded the RAM on this machine. It now has 1 GB of RAM, so that should not be a problem. I do understand that the Intel chipset we have is not ideal for this type of game, but since it is specifically listed on their website as being capable of running the game, I'd still like to try updating the driver if there is a way to do it. Maybe I'm being too simplistic, but it seems comparable to the issue of using 56K dialup or broadband to play the game. Obviously broadband is better to play this kind of game (and that's what we have) but according to the specs you CAN play it on 56K if you have to. In the same way, I'd like to play it on my Intel chipset if there's any way to do it, since I don't have the money to upgrade the computer right now.

So, does anyone know of a way I can get my computer to accept Intel's new driver?
Honored Contributor
Ken Greene
Message 5 of 7 (134 Views)

Hi again Vonette: perhaps the driver is corrupt & needs to be reinstalled
the best way to tell is to go thru this path
Control Panel\System\Device Manager
once you're at Device Manager look for your Intel 915 graphics chip.
if there's either a yellow or red icon with an exclamation point that means you'll have to reinstall it.
click on that icon
look for a section of the Device Manager page that says you can delete the driver then with your Recovery Discs
there should be a CD that has the various drivers as well as one that reinstalls Windows
take the CD with the drivers in the optical drive and it should reinstall normally
if not then indeed you have an incompatible driver then I'd go with the PCI version of either the Nvdia(if the PC had drivers optimized for an Nvidia card/video chip or AMD/ATI if the computer had original ATI drivers.
this way you minimize the possiblity of your machine going on a hissy fit(believe me Vonette it isn't pretty seeing that)
I'd still go with an independent video card
especially for WoW your machine would thank you profusely for it'll run better.
Good luck
Hope this helps you
Ken Greene
Acclaimed Contributor
Cheryl G.
Message 6 of 7 (134 Views)

Try a Manual (force) install of the driver.Download the zip version and extract to a folder.Moving the folder to C: may make the process easier.

1.In Device Manager,double click the Display Adapter,Click on "driver" tab and select "Update Driver".

2.Select the following option: "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)". Click on the "Next" button.

3.Select the following option: "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install". Click on the "Next" button.

Click on the "Have Disk..." button and then the "Browse" button.

4.Enter the directory where you unzipped the file you downloaded, and then enter the "Graphics" subdirectory.Next enter the "xp32" subdirectory. Highlight the "igxp32.INF" file. Click on the "Open" button.

5.Click on the "OK" button. A window listing all of the available display types should open. Select the display adapter that your system contains and then click on the"Next" button.

6.Click on the "Next" button. The operating system will install the driver. Click on the "Finish" button when done.

7.Click on the "Close" button.If a dialog asking to reboot is displayed, click on the "Yes" button to automatically reboot.Otherwise, manually restart the system.The driver should now be loaded.

Zip version is #8 here:

http://tinyurl.com/2wfg7z
``````````````````````
**Clicking the KUDOS star on the left is a way to say 'Thanks'**
*To help others find solutions, click 'Accept as Solution' on a Reply that solves your issue*
Occasional Visitor
Vonette Miller
Message 7 of 7 (134 Views)

Well, thanks again for trying. The driver is not corrupt, and the workaround suggested is the same one Intel had suggested on their site. I've tried it more than once. The first time the computer responded that it could not find a driver that was better suited for my computer than what I already had. So then at Intel's suggestion I uninstalled my current driver and tried it again. This time my computer told me it could not find a suitable driver in the specified location. On someone else's suggestion, I also tried it in Safe Mode with no better result. I guess I'm stuck with this ancient driver, and all I can do is complain to HP (which is not going to get me anywhere I know). Maybe down the road I can look into a new video card. Right now that's just not gonna happen.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.