Asus P4B-LA Motherboard/CPU Upgrade? (319 Views)
Occasional Visitor
CA843388
Message 1 of 1 (319 Views)

Asus P4B-LA Motherboard/CPU Upgrade?

After reading a number of related messages, checking with ASUS, HP (a waste of time), and Intel---the best quess I recieved was that this motherboard would accept a P4 2.4 (Northwood .13 micron) 400 bus, and 512 cache. Since I like to tinker at up-grading I purchased it and gave it a try. My HP PC didn't accept it (all I got was the blue screen with the HP logo and couldn't get into DOS setup).

I then talked to Intel support, they are suggesting that I purchase a bois chip from ASUS for a P4B-MX and get rid of the P4B-LA bios chip installed for HP. ASUS said the price is $25 for the preprogrammed bios chip for the P4B-MX so I think I would like to give it a try.

However, does anyone know if this approach is plausible with an HP with a P4B-LA motherboard, what are the potential problems (and fixes) and how difficult it is to physically replace the bios chip (is it sodered in)?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation