16 BIT SOUND CARD HP PAVILION 8566C (106 Views)
Occasional Contributor
CA1154048
Message 1 of 9 (106 Views)
Accepted Solution

16 BIT SOUND CARD HP PAVILION 8566C

FIRST I AM NOT SHOUTING...I USE CAPS AS I HAVE SIGHT PROBLEMS...
I AM VERY HAPPY WITH MY HP 8566 C FOR OVER 5 YEARS...I AM NOT SURE IF THER IS A SOUND CARD IN THE COMPUTER AS AT TIMES IT WILL PLAY MUSIC...HOWEVER, I WISH TO INTERGRATE MY KENWOOD TS 570 AMATEUR TRANSCEIVER WITH A SOFTWARE PROGRAM CALLED "BEACON SEA" I HAVE TRIED TO RUN THE AUDIO OUTPUT FROM THE RADIO TO THE AUDIO INPUT OF THE REAR OF THE HP 8566 C... NO LUCK..BEACON SEA REQUIRES A 16 BIT SOUND CARD....DOES SOME ONE KNOW IF I NEED TO INSTALL A 16 BIT SOUND CARD & WHAT MAKE & MODEL...THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR HELP....GEORGE CAMPBELL W1GCC,STUART,FL
Honored Contributor
John Y
Message 2 of 9 (106 Views)

Re: 16 BIT SOUND CARD HP PAVILION 8566C

I'LL ALSO TYPE IN CAPS FOR YOU.!

YES YOU NEED TO INSTALL A SOUND CARD. THE SOUNDBLASTER LINE FROM CREATIVE SHOULD WORK FINE LIKE THE SOUNDBLASTER LIVE MODEL. THEY ARE PRETTY CHEAP THESE DAYS AND ARE AT MOST ALL OF THE PC STORES.!
Honored Contributor
John Y
Message 3 of 9 (106 Views)

I FORGOT TO ADD THAT YOUR SPECS LIST A SORT OF 16BIT SOUND CARD IN YOURS BUT THE TECHNOLOGY I SUSPECT IS JUST TO OLD AND INCOMPATABLE WITH THAT PROGRAM,---BUY IT WHERE YOU CAN RETURN IT JUST IN CASE OK.!
Respected Contributor
Tony Higgins
Message 4 of 9 (106 Views)

HI, GEORGE:

I USED TO HAVE A 8566C. I HAD IT APART NUMEROUS TIMES AND AM VERY FAMILIAR WITH IT. IT HAS A RIPTIDE SOUND CARD/MODEM COMBO. FROM THE OUTSIDE, THE SOUND CARD PORTION LOOKS LIKE IT OCCUPIES A PCI SLOT. BUT IT DOES NOT. IT ANCHORS TO THE BACK OF THE CASE LIKE A PCI CARD AND CONNECTS TO THE MODEM. TO ADD A NEW SOUND CARD YOU WILL NEED TO DISABLE IT IN DEVICE MANAGER AND ADD A NEW SOUND CARD TO A VACANT PCI SLOT. YOU MAY ALSO HAVE TO DISCONNECT THE WIRE CONNECTING YOUR CURRENT SOUND CARD TO THE MODEM TO GET THE NEW CARD TO WORK CORRECTLY.

TONY
Honored Contributor
charles k. norman
Message 5 of 9 (106 Views)

JOHN AND GEORGE,

I AGREE THE SPECIFICATION FOR THE COMBO CARD IS MATURE AND THAT MAY BE THE BLOCKAGE BUT IN THEORY ONE WOULD HAVE EXPECTED FROM THE SPECIFICATION THAT IT WOULD WORK:-

CLICK ON LINK

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07114#N1002C

I AM THINKING ALOUD AS TO WHETHER A DRIVER UPDATE MIGHT BE A SOLUTION:-

CLICK ON LINK

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph04990

ALSO THE EXISTING CARD IS ALSO THE MODEM SO IT IS NOT A CASE OF REMOVING ONE CARD AND REPLACING IT WITH AN SB CARD - NO MODEM.
Respected Contributor
Tony Higgins
Message 6 of 9 (106 Views)

HI, CHARLES:

ACTUALLY, THE MODEM WILL CONTINUE TO FUNCTION WITHOUT THE SOUND CARD PART CONNECTED. IT IS A SEPARATE ITEM THAT CONNECTS TO THE MODEM. I KNOW THIS TO BE TRUE AS I HAVE USED THE MODEM WITHOUT THE SOUND CARD PART BOTH IN THE COMPUTER IT CAME IN AND IN ANOTHER COMPUTER AND IT WORKED FINE.

YOU ARE CORRECT THAT THE EXISTING SETUP SHOULD WORK IF IT IS WORKING CORRECTLY. AT VARIOUS TIMES I CONNECTED A CASSETTE DECK AND THE AUDIO OUTPUTS AND INPUTS FROM A VCR AND A CAMCORDER TO MINE.

THE FACT THAT GEORGE SAYS "AT TIMES IT WILL PLAY MUSIC" SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING MAY BE CORRUPTED WITH THE DEVICE DRIVER.

TONY
Honored Contributor
charles k. norman
Message 7 of 9 (106 Views)

HI TONY,

APOLOGIES - BRAIN WAS NOT COMPLETELY IN GEAR TONIGHT. I WAS THINKING OF SOMETHING ELSE - SILLY REALLY AS I STILL HAVE A SYSTEM IN THE ARCHIVE WITH THE ROCKWELL COMBO CARD AND PUT ONE INTO AN ADVENT FOR A FRIEND JUST AFTER XMAS LAST YEAR. THANKS FOR REFRESHING MY OLD GREY CELLS.

BEST REGARDS
CHARLES
Respected Contributor
Tony Higgins
Message 8 of 9 (106 Views)

IT IS THE STRANGEST SETUP FOR A SOUND CARD AND MODEM. NOT WHAT YOU EXPECT TO FIND LOOKING AT IT FROM THE OUTSIDE. AND IT'S AMAZING HOW WELL IT WORKS IN ITS ORIGINAL CONFIGURATION. IT WORKED FLAWLESSLY FOR ME FOR CAPTURING AUDIO FOR LOTS OF ANALOG VIDEO CAPTURES AND FROM lp RECORD AND CASSETTE.

GEORGE'S NEW PROGRAM MIGHT REQUIRE SOMETHING ADDITIONAL. iF IT DOES HE CAN ADD A NEW SOUND CARD AND DISABLE THAT PART OF THE RIPTIDE COMBO AND CONTINUE TO USE THE MODEM PART.

TONY
Occasional Contributor
CA1154048
Message 9 of 9 (106 Views)

TO: JOHN YELTON,TONY HIGGINS,CHARLES K. NORMAN

FROM GEORGE C. CAMPBELL

SUBJ:16 BIT SOUND CARD HP 8566C

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR ALL THE HELP...U GUYS ARE GREAT...GAVE U ALL 9 OR 10 POINTS...I FINALLY FOUND OUT HOW TO GET UR ANSWERS...AT FIRST I TRIED TO GET UR RESPONSES FROM THE AOL E-MAIL PAGE BY CLICKING ON THE HYPER-LINK...THAT DOESN'T WORK...ONE NEEDS TO GO TO THIS LINK TO OBTAIN THE RESPONSES..

I WILL TRY CHARLES SUGGESTION FIRST BY DOWNLOADING THE DRIVER UPDATE...IF THAT DOES NOT WORK I WILL TAKE JOHN YELTON SUGGESTION& PURCHASE A SOUNDBLASTER CARD FROM CREATIVE

THANKS AGAIN GUYS UR MOST HELPFUL...GEORGE CAMPBELL,STUART,FL
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.