Re: SWCC software for Raid Array 3000 / HSZ22 (823 Views)
Regular Advisor
H_Bachner
Message 1 of 10 (823 Views)
Accepted Solution

SWCC software for Raid Array 3000 / HSZ22

I recently got a Raid Array 3000 (HSZ22 controller), unfortunately without the SWCC software to configure it. The version containing HSZ22 support should be 2.1, but I can't find that version on the HP web pages (only V2.2) nor anywhere else in the internet.

"Ask the wizard" has a few links and the suggestion to google for it but the links are dead and web searches mostly return PDF documents on how to use SWCC in general and the HSZ22 in particular.

Can anyone provide a pointer to SWCC V2.1?

Thanks in advance,
Hans.
Honored Contributor
Robert Gezelter
Message 2 of 10 (823 Views)

Re: SWCC software for Raid Array 3000 / HSZ22

Hans,

I do not have the manuals in front of me, but why do you specifically need 2.1 and not 2.2?

Generally, the version documented as "supporting " a device is the LOWEST version that supports the device. Have you verified that 2.2 does not support the HSZ22?

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Regular Advisor
H_Bachner
Message 3 of 10 (823 Views)

Bob,

as far as I understand SWCC (and I don't claim to be an expert in this particular area), it comes with some base software and plug-in modules for various devices to be managed.

So far, I found kits with support for the RA200 (SWXCR/KZPSC) and the KZPCC backplane RAID controllers.

After digging a bit deeper, I have to correct myself: the HSZ22 client came with SWCC V2.2, not 2.1. However, my V2.2 version only has KZPCC support.

The "Command Console V2.2 for RA3000" User's Guide (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00481219%2Fc00481219.pdf)
mentions a "RA3000 Solution Software Version 1.3" CD which should contain what I need. The only software download for the RA3000 I could find is a firmware kit.

I'd appreciate any pointer to the software.

Thanks for listening,
Hans.
Trusted Contributor
Jeremy Begg
Message 4 of 10 (823 Views)

Hello Hans,

There are actually TWO pieces of software that you need. Or, more precisely, one you need and one which is optional (but very helpful).

The one you need runs on Windows and is used to configure the device. (You will also need a serial cable to connect your PC to the RA3000.) I'll have a look and see if I've got a copy somewhere (I should have, since I own two RA3000s and have configured at third.). I don't remember what it's called.

The second one is SWCC and it came in two flavours, one for OpenVMS and one for Tru64 Unix. It provides a TCP/IP service which lets you monitor and configure the RA3000 from a remote Windows box. From memory, SWCC won't let you configure the RA3000 from scratch; it has to have at least one logical volume defined so that SCSI will talk to it.
I'm pretty certain I have a copy here somewhere. (I have a Tru64 copy on CDROM and I think I have a VMS version on disk.)

Once I've found the bits & pieces I'll post a followup.

Regards,

Jeremy Begg
Honored Contributor
Uwe Zessin
Message 5 of 10 (823 Views)

Both pieces are part of the SWCC:

- the Windows-based GUI
-- can connect via a serial line to the RA3000
-- can connect via TCP/IP to the SWCC agent

- the SWCC agent which is installed on a server and talks in-band via an existing disk with the RA3000

The RA3000 is not a true DEC StorageWorks product - its an OEMed CMD Anaconda. You can also configure it via a terminal emulator:
- hit & (that is the ESCAPE and the ampersand sign)
- password, if I remember correctly, is DECRAID

The character-cell interface is a bit, err..., strange. You need to play a bit with it to understand how it works.
Regular Advisor
H_Bachner
Message 6 of 10 (823 Views)

Jeremy & Uwe,

thanks for the details. I know about the GUI and agent structure, all the required pieces should be on the CD which originally came with the RA3000. As I got mine only recently (more or less saving it from the srap box), the CD was no longer around.

> You can also configure it via a terminal emulator:
> - hit & (that is the ESCAPE and the ampersand sign)
> - password, if I remember correctly, is DECRAID

As mentioned over in comp.os.vms, I already found this configuration option - the hard way, because the docs only mention <7> which is not the right key combination on a German keyboard :-( At least I was able to create an initial setup for the RA3000. I still would prefer to use SWCC software and I'm grateful for any help in finding the proper bits.

Thanks so far,
Hans.
Trusted Contributor
Jeremy Begg
Message 7 of 10 (823 Views)

Hi,

I found my RA3000 Solution Software for OpenVMS V1.2 disk. It contains the PC client (for Alpha and Intel) and the OpenVMS Alpha host software.

I have made this available via FTP from
ftp://ftp.vsm.com.au/ra3000/

The D11X.ZIP file contains the latest (I think) RA3000 firmware. The RA3000_V1_2.ZIP file is a copy of most of the CD-ROM.

Please let me know when you have retrieved these files as I don't want to leave them posted for too long.

And then assign some points to these answers.

Regards,

Jeremy Begg
Regular Advisor
H_Bachner
Message 8 of 10 (823 Views)

Jeremy,

many thanks for providing the files. I had the firmware and the docs already, but the HSZ22 client and agent software are exactly what I was missing!

Already pulled the stuff from your site, looks good.

Thanks again - from Austria to Australia,
Hans.
Trusted Contributor
Jeremy Begg
Message 9 of 10 (823 Views)

No problem, Hans. I have a few other printed manuals here so if you need anything else please ask.

I also benefited from this exercise: I wasn't sure where the software was myself! I even got to the stage of resurrecting my old DEC HiNote VP562 notebook for the first time in several years, expecting to find the software there (which is was not). Eventually I found the CD-ROM in a pile of stuff and so I'm somewhat happier about my ability to reconfigure my own RA3000.

I've now restricted access to the FTP directory. If anyone else needs to get it, please contact me directly.

Regards,

Jeremy Begg
Occasional Visitor
LisaR
Message 10 of 10 (371 Views)

Hi Jeremy, I just downloaded it now, thanks so much. We have a customer moving HSZ22 kit at the weekend and I don't know if they have SWCC installed on site. My only problem now is that my laptop has Windows 8 and doesn't seem to be compatible with the SWCC client software. But at least I have the kits now so thanks for that. (Lisa - mobile engineer for HP Ireland, who goes back to the old DEC days!)
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.