Re: Need to reset system console on VAX 4000 using remote terminal (501 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Chippy
Message 1 of 9 (665 Views)

Need to reset system console on VAX 4000 using remote terminal

Hello.

I have a VAX 4000 machine that does not accept user input on the local system console.  I've restarted the terminal (power off/on) and it shows the VT420 screen, and when I hit the return key it shows a blinking cursor only.  If I hit the CAPS lock key, the 'lock' indicator shows on the screen so it is accepting some input.

I'm able to log in to the system from a remote terminal, so I can issue commands.  The obvious answer might be to restart the system, but it is not that simple.  I can't do that without significant compensatory measures in place.  So, is there a simple way to reset the local console device?  Maybe disable it and then enable it again?  I'm fairly new to VAX systems, so I appologize for the newbie question.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Trusted Contributor
abrsvc
Message 2 of 9 (659 Views)

Re: Need to reset system console on VAX 4000 using remote terminal

Not much info to go on here, but...

If you can log in to a remote terminal, look at OPA0 for its status. If it is allocated, check who has it and what they are doing. This can get involved a bit, so if you are not familiar with OpenVMS, this will take a while.

Can you shoot me contact info via Email so we can talk directly or Email directly. There may be things you don't want posted on a public forum.

Dan

dansabrservicesAtyahooDotcom
Honored Contributor
Andy Bustamante
Message 3 of 9 (648 Views)

Simple things first, try a control-q at the console.  

It's been a very long time, but some VAX models would crash if the console was disconnected.  I don't recall if the 4000 had this feature.  

Confirm that the port is correct terminal port.  Terminals can have multiple serial ports, if the terminal was switched from comm 2 to comm 1, this would be expected behavior.  Confirm the VAX cable is going into the comm port configured in setup.  

Check the port speed against the terminal speed.  I'd expect garble on screen if this was the case, but it's worth checking.

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Occasional Visitor
Chippy
Message 4 of 9 (626 Views)

Output from 'SHOW DEV' has the status of OPA0 as 'online' with 0 errors.  I'm thinking that maybe the terminal was left logged in accidentally and now the session is hung up.

Occasional Visitor
Chippy
Message 5 of 9 (625 Views)

I know about the terminal reset problem and our system has the 'halt on break' turned off.  I've tried CTRL-Q as well with no luck.  I'll check the serial port settings but am very confident that they are OK.  The console was working fine previous and it is difficult for people to make changes to the cabling without someone knowing they were in the cabinet.

Frequent Advisor
B Claremont
Message 6 of 9 (599 Views)

Have you verified the VT terminal is working correctly?  Can you bring up the set menus (F5 key I think)?

Do a SHOW TERMINAL OPA0 from another session and post the results.

www.MigrationSpecialties.com
Honored Contributor
Kris Clippeleyr
Message 7 of 9 (576 Views)

Note that the F5 key is normally the equivalent of a Ctrl-P on the console.

The F3-key is the "setup" key.

Greetz.

Kris (aka Qkcl)

I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Trusted Contributor
abrsvc
Message 8 of 9 (569 Views)

I have found that terminal lines can get into an "unknown" state that is not apparent.  I have successfully use the following sequence of commands to "clear" them.  Give this a try.

$Alloc opa0:

$deall opa0:

Seems simple enough, but this seems to clear out any remaining buffers that are hanging around and attached to the terminal.  I'm not sure of why or what is "hanging" around, just that this has cleared up terminal lines with similar symptoms for me.

Dan

Trusted Contributor
GuentherF
Message 9 of 9 (501 Views)

Try "$ REPLY/TERMINAL=OPA0: blabla". Do you get the message on the console?

/Guenther
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.