Re: Installation of NEW external Network card in Alpha DS10 Server. (557 Views)
Occasional Contributor
AnjanG
Message 1 of 3 (576 Views)

Installation of NEW external Network card in Alpha DS10 Server.

Hi members,

I am having alpha DS10 (617 MHz) server with dual LAN facilitates LAN cards are in built within the Motherboard.

Recently I am facing a problem with one of the LAN port. As because they are built in, I have little option to do something.

I am thinking of installation a LAN card in PCI slots and configure the same for the LAN which is malfunctioning.

I like to have the following information.

1) What type of external LAN Card I need to arrange in order to connect the same in the Alpha DS10 mother board.

2) The procedure to configure the same for Decnet and TCPIP.

Can somebody help me in this regards have Open VMS version 7.2-1 OS installed in the machine.

Regards

Anjan

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Steven Schweda
Message 2 of 3 (564 Views)

Re: Installation of NEW external Network card in Alpha DS10 Server.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
fhsjvl
Message 3 of 3 (557 Views)

Re: Installation of NEW external Network card in Alpha DS10 Server.

There are several PCI Ethernet options for the DS10. According to the specs (see http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10908_na/10908_na.html, Step 8 - Networks and Communications), the DE600 generation of NICs should be fine, as well as the DEGPA and DEGXA 1Gbps NICs.

We have several DS10 system with the PCI combo card KZPCM-DA. This is a card with 2 SCSI NCR 53C875 adapters and 1 DE500 10/100Mbps NIC. This may be a good solution for you (though not the cheapest one) if you want to add an "identical" NIC (the onboard NICs of the DS10 are DE504-BA). The on board controllers are EWA and EWB. The DE500 NIC on  the KZPCM-DA will be EWC.

To reconfigure DECnet you may be lucky by directly changing the .NCL files in SYS$STARTUP. Or you can run @NET$CONFIGURE ADVANCED with option 1 (entire configuration). You accept the default for most of the questions. When the tool lists the Ethernet controllers, you enter "NONE" if you do not want it to do DECnet or you accept the proposed setting (CSMACD-0,...) in order to use it.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation