Connecting 8Gb F/C HBA to 1Gb F/C switch (795 Views)
Trusted Contributor
Jeremy Begg
Message 1 of 9 (795 Views)

Connecting 8Gb F/C HBA to 1Gb F/C switch

Hi,

I'm working with a site that is migrating their OpenVMS applications from AlphaServer DS20Es to  HP Integrity rx2800 servers.

The DS20E servers are connected to an HSG80 storage subsystem via a pair of 1Gb f/c switches (Compaq StorageWorks Fibre Channel SAN Switch 8-EL, to be precise).

The Integrity servers are using HP P2000 G3 storage, connected via a pair of 8Gb f/c switches (but boot from their internal SAS drives).

The Integity servers each have a pair of dual-port QLogic f/c HBA cards (AH401A, I believe).

We'd like to connect the Integrity servers to the HSG80 storage so that they have direct access to the Alpha storage, without having to do MSCP serving from the Alpha to the Integrity.

We connected a f/c cable from the Integrity to the 1Gb switch but it's not working: they are unable to establish sync between the HBA and the switch.

Is there a setting we can make on the Integrity f/c cards, either via the EFI console or via OpenVMS, which will allow them to connect to the 1Gb switch?

If not, is there some other way to get direct connectivity (i.e. without using MSCP)?

Thanks,

Jeremy Begg

Frequent Advisor
Eberhard Heuser
Message 2 of 9 (773 Views)

Re: Connecting 8Gb F/C HBA to 1Gb F/C switch

The quick specs says 1GB/s are not available (2, 4, 8 respectively).

see:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13177_div/13177_div.pdf

Eberhard

Honored Contributor
Duncan Morris
Message 3 of 9 (771 Views)

Connect the 2 pairs of switches together?
Honored Contributor
Andy Bustamante
Message 4 of 9 (753 Views)

Connect the DS20e and HSG80 to the new 8 GB fibre channel switches?  Check that the new switches will negotiate down to 1 GB.  If you've configured zoning, make sure to update access.

Andy

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Frequent Advisor
fhsjvl
Message 5 of 9 (732 Views)

[ Edited ]

There are also the AD221A, AD222A and AD393A Fibre channel and Ethernet NIC combo cards for the rx2800 i2. The FC part of these cards is Emulex (AH401A et al. are QLogic).

The FC part of these Emulex cards can negotiate down to 1Gbps.

Of course this does not guarantee correct connectivity to the HSG80.

On top of that it should be noted that the Emulex driver is broken on OpenVMS V8.4 on HP Integrity rx2800 i2. Your system could crash with INCONSTATE at any moment. A fix is dragging along for months now and does not seem a priority to OpenVMS Engineering.

Other exotic solution: replace HSG80 by HSZ70 and put a Nemonix SCSI PCIe card (NX-Ultra320-PCIe-1C) in the rx28000 i2 (the HP SCSI card for the rx2800 i2 allegedly does not support disks).

Trusted Contributor
Jeremy Begg
Message 6 of 9 (706 Views)

Thanks for the suggestions.

We're working on connecting two switches together, hope to get some results on that this week.

We tossed up QLogic vs Emulex for the rx2800 but rejected Emulex because of those issues.

Regards,

Jeremy Begg

Trusted Contributor
Jeremy Begg
Message 7 of 9 (655 Views)

I've gone back to the OpenVMS 8.4 SPD and the rx2800 QuickSpecs and it seems the Emulex cards simply aren't supported by OpenVMS.  And the VMS-supported lower-speed cards (e.g. AD299A, AD300A) aren't supported in the rx2800.  (DIfferent PCI.)

Could you tell me more about the circumstances of the INCONSTATE bugcheck, e.g. is it known to occur under particular loads?  (We need this connectivity primarily to use BACKUP to transfer from the HSG80 to the P2000.  We can probably accept a risk that the system might crash from time to time.  But if the bugchecks are known to be frequent the Emulex cards are not going to be an option.)

We've also tried running a cable between the 8Gb switches and the 1GB Compaq SANswitch and that's not working either :-(

Changing the HSG80 to HSZ70 is simply out of the question for us.

Next option is to try to track down a 4Gb0 switch to put between them.  Or see if there's a 2Gb F/C card for the AlphaServers which might connect to a 8Gb switch.

Regards,

Jeremy Begg

Frequent Advisor
fhsjvl
Message 8 of 9 (644 Views)

Maybe the Emulex cards were not supported at the moment of the initial release of OpenVMS I64 or the rx2800 i2, but in between they are. Please check: http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/integrity/integrity_io_options.html

The INCONSTATE bugcheck occurs not so often. On one system we had it once a week, on an other system one time in a month.

It is tempting to say that the bugcheck consistently occurs under high load, but I cannot prove that. On the contrary, one of the systems performed several shadow copies on lots of disks without the bugcheck occurring.

In any case, the bugcheck is known at HP and they are working (slowly) on a solution.

Trusted Contributor
Jeremy Begg
Message 9 of 9 (633 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for that link, that's a good one to keep bookmarked.  I was basing my "Emulex cards not supported" claim on the OpenVMS V8.4 SPD dated May 2012, which I thought would be current.  Apparently not quite!

We can probably live with a crash that might occur weekly (or even every few days), for the short time that the Integrity servers will need direct access to the HSG80 disks.

Regards,

Jeremy Begg

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.