Alpha Workstation DS25 Shutsdown at Startup (570 Views)
Occasional Visitor
gpagnotti
Message 1 of 7 (570 Views)

Alpha Workstation DS25 Shutsdown at Startup

[ Edited ]

This system has been showing auto shutdown symptoms for awhile, but now it has come to a head.  Upon startup the system runs through the 4 LEDs on the front panel, then after a few seconds on the last one (the one all the way to the left) it shuts down.  Ive cleaned everything inside the machine to ensure the fans are clear (and heatsinks), but Im wondering if there is either A) a temp sensor that has failed or B) a memory issue.  When the system was able to start up...last week...one of the errors that came up mentioned the CPU fan 1.  Is it that maybe the power to that fan or the fan itself has failed?    Any help would be appreciated.   And, yes, Ive called HP and in the midst of troubleshooting the system was restored and I was able to reach the software (peripheral device software running on OpenVMS).  I closed the case, but the problem reemerged after ~1hr...I dont have the time to jump back on the phone with them now.

Anyone, por favor?

P.S. This thread has been moved from Tru64 UNIX > System Administration to OpenVMS > Hardware. - Hp Forum Moderator

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 2 of 7 (540 Views)

Re: Alpha Workstation DS25 Shuts down at Startup

>(peripheral device software running on OpenVMS).

Are you running Tru64 or OpenVMS?

Honored Contributor
Steven Schweda
Message 3 of 7 (537 Views)

Re: Alpha Workstation DS25 Shutsdown at Startup

Occasional Visitor
gpagnotti
Message 4 of 7 (530 Views)

Dennis, we're running OpenVMS....V. 6.5-26

Can't change this as of now, because the peripheral device is maintained by a third party.

Honored Contributor
Steven Schweda
Message 5 of 7 (526 Views)

Occasional Visitor
gpagnotti
Message 6 of 7 (526 Views)

Steven,

What, exactly, are "auto shutdown symptoms"? Spontaneous, abrupt power-down anywhere from 5sec-40min from powerup. > Upon startup the system runs through the 4 LEDs on the front panel, then after a few seconds on the last one (the one all the way to the left) it shuts down. Define "upon startup". Do you mean power-up? Define "shuts down". I didnt realize powerup, startup, and I guess bootup, were not synonymous. In the physical sense of what I mean, powerup is likely what Im referring to...pushing on the power button on the front of the workstation. By shutting down I mean that the entire workstation powers off. The LEDs on the internal CPU board and 1 LED a piece on the PSU's remain lit, but the workstation has shut itself off without me invoking it. No, there is no console connected to it. > [...] Im wondering if there is either A) a temp sensor that has failed > or B) a memory issue. I've never touched a DS25, and I don't have the hardware manual for one (do you?), so I know nothing, but I doubt that any likely memory problem could cause a spontaneous power-down. (How much memory is in the system? Remove half? Replace it and remove the other half?) A failed temp sensor seems even less likely to trigger a spontaneous power-down without generating a console message first. > [...] in the midst of troubleshooting the system was restored [...] Do you mean that it started working properly, or that you did a BACKUP?

No, I left the workstation turned off for awhile and started the system again...it was able to reach the third party software (completed boot up) without issue. > [...] one of the errors that came up mentioned the CPU fan 1. [...] What were the other errors?
Im not sure there were other errors, the boot up happened very quickly. The CPU0 fan showed some issue but Im not sure why. Upon inspection, the fan seems to run very well and spins without resistance. Knowing nothing, I'd suspect the (old) power supply, but I can't see any diagnostic LEDs which might be on the system main board, I see any console terminal output, and so on.
I dont think this has to do with bad PSU's because they remain lit throughout the boot up processes and only turn off when the workstation itself spontaneously shuts down. Even then one LED remains lit on the front of each PSU. If the system is under a hardware maintenance contract, then I'd demand some actual service. "Started working spontaneously" is not the same as "was repaired". If the problem comes and goes, then I'd expect to get the system replaced, so that I could get some work done while someone else tries to figure out where the real problem lies. Otherwise, what are you paying for?
Trusted Contributor
abrsvc
Message 7 of 7 (491 Views)

Based upon the symptoms described thus far, I would be looking at a power supply problem. A poweroff action would not be triggered by software, at least with just a poweroff as described. Also, with the system powered off for a while changing the symptoms at powerup also suggests a hardware prolblem likely centered at the power suply as well. There is a possibility that the motherboard is having problems as well with filter caps perhaps getting old and dry. Shorting out the 5V line could cause this type of shutdown as well.

First: repalce the power supply.
Second: Try to get another motherboard.

Dan
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.