rx5940 external gps (400 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Domenico Giunta
Message 1 of 9 (400 Views)

rx5940 external gps

Hello world!!

I find the GPS receiver inside the rx5940 very slow to fix and also time by time it losts the signal.
There is a way to use an external receiver? I have a bluetooth one (used in my past hx2410), but how I can connect to rx5940?

Thx a lot for tips
Regular Advisor
James Fekete
Message 2 of 9 (400 Views)

Re: rx5940 external gps

Hi Domenico:

Some users have connected an auxiliary antenna for the GPS to improve fix times. It attached to the small round socket next to the USB socket.

For the bluetooth GPS, i suppose it's like any other bluetooth device, make the device discoverable, then push the bluetooth "button" on the today screen (next to the WLAN and GPS buttons) and select and set up your device as a serialport. Make sure the COM port you select for bluetooth is the same as the one under Settings/GPS Settings. Good luck.

Jim
Occasional Advisor
Domenico Giunta
Message 3 of 9 (400 Views)

Thanks Jim,
however the rx5940 can see the antenna, but the preinstalled tomtom refuses to use the other antenna.
I will try to supersede the default setting but I am concerned I can lost the preinstalled gps and do not have the new antenna.

Advisor
Peter Beaumont
Message 4 of 9 (400 Views)

I've got a rx5965, and it suffers from a similar problem.
The internal GPS receiver never seems to be able to get a fix.

I've managed to get the TomTom software to access an external GPS receiver via Bluetooth.

As mentioned you need to pair the iPAQ & the bluetooth receiver, and I've got the GPS "control panel" in Settings/System/GPS set up as: Programs set to COM7, and Hardware set to COM5, and Access "manage GPS automatically is ticked.

You'll need to find out what COM the external GPS talks on, but this setup works for me (at the moment)

regards

Pete...
Occasional Advisor
Domenico Giunta
Message 5 of 9 (400 Views)

Thank you again for the tips.
I tried both solutions and. they worked the first time.
Then after switch off the PDA the next time I did have any antenna neither the internal nor the external. I had to pair again the external and do all the process.
I decide to roll back to internal, but is terrible!!
If you can help me, please do
D.
Advisor
Peter Beaumont
Message 6 of 9 (400 Views)

After you pair the GPS receiver & iPAQ, if you soft reset the iPAQ does the iPAQ still remember the pairing ?

Or/And

Have you tried changing the Hardware port in Settings/GPS

You may need to try each COM port in turn to see if you can keep the connection.

Also turn on the external GPS receiver and then count to 10 before launching the TomTom software.

hth

Pete...
Trusted Contributor
spile1
Message 7 of 9 (400 Views)

If you haven't already tried it...
1) Install the GPS firmware update from this site.
2) Install the daylight time saving fix from this site. Someone mentioned that it improved GPS lock speed. I can't be definite but it SEEMED to work for me as well.
Honored Contributor
Lutz Bendlin
Message 8 of 9 (400 Views)

this is a well documented TomTom bug. On devices with integrated GPS the program refuses to search for external receivers after the first configuration.

Solution: delete the CFG files ("Reset TomTom to factory settings") and during the first configuration specify the Bt receiver instead of the integrated receiver.
Lutz
Occasional Advisor
Domenico Giunta
Message 9 of 9 (400 Views)

Sorry Lutz,
but the rx5940 comes with tomtom already configured. I cannot specify any device.

I have tried the other tips, but no way !!

Once the ipaq is off-on then all settings shall be done again.

I was thinking to disinstal the preinstalled tomtom and installing another tomtom, but is it possible?

Thx
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.