ipaq H5550 (743 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Chi Yan Lau
Message 1 of 14 (743 Views)
Accepted Solution

ipaq H5550

Hello

I just recieve a ipaq h5550 and try to upgrade the software/firmware from 1.00.13 to 1.00.18. Once I finish the upgrade the ppc restart itself and the whole thing gone blank. When I try to restart/soft reset it, the screen I am seeing on the device is the initial screen when iPAQ is turned on :

hp iPAQ
Pocket PC
_________

hp
invent

1.00.13 ENG

The bar in the centre of the screen fills from left to right to indicate device is loading software. At this point the iPAQ freezes and will not respond to use of buttons presses, screen touching and even re-setting only takes the device back to the same position.

Can anyone advise on how to resolve this problem? Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
Prof Julie
Message 2 of 14 (743 Views)

Re: ipaq H5550

The update did not complete successfully and now the OS on the device is incomplete or corrupted.

Try installing the update again from an XP machine (the updates are not compatible with Vista and can brick the device just like you describe). Also make sure you are installing the proper update to the device (the language on the device must match the language of the upgrade). Remove any storage cards, make sure the device is fully charged, and plug the device directly into a USB port on the computer (don't use a USB hub).

Disable antivirus and firewall software on the computer as well as any power saving options.

Good Luck!
Prof Julie | Microsoft MVP Windows Phone Consumer
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Chi Yan Lau
Message 3 of 14 (743 Views)

Thanks. But when I connect the ppc to my computer it do not recognise the device/ppc. I have try to flash my ppc (itask+power+contact+rest) but it still cannot detect the ppc? Do you know how it be sorted? Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
Prof Julie
Message 4 of 14 (743 Views)

Try another XP computer. Unfortunately, I do not know of a way, nor have I ever read of a way, to successfully flash a ROM to an IPAQ from a storage card.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Chi Yan Lau
Message 5 of 14 (743 Views)

Thanks for that. I will try it with XP. But before that I will leave it for a week without battery and see would it reset to manufacturers setting....
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
Prof Julie
Message 6 of 14 (743 Views)

Leaving it for a week without the battery will not resolve the problem. The problem is that the ROM update is not compatible with Vista computers...when you attempted to install it from a Vista computer, the installation failed and you were left with a corrupted ROM on the device.

If you search through this forum a little you'll see that many users had a similar experience as you when they attempted to install a ROM update from a Vista computer. You really need to install the update from an XP computer.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Chi Yan Lau
Message 7 of 14 (743 Views)

Ok. I will try it with a XP computer then. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Chi Yan Lau
Message 8 of 14 (743 Views)

Hello I have tried to update the ipaq h5550 in window xp and when installing in process it come out the below error...

Error opening file for writing:
"%windir%\WindowsMobile\HP iPAQ h5500 XIP Update\iPAQ4_WWE_MISC_xip_1.0018.CAB"
Hit abort to abort installation,
retry to retry writing the file, or
ignore to skip this file

Anyone can help on this?
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
Prof Julie
Message 9 of 14 (743 Views)

Does the language of the ROM update (ENG) match the language that is running on the device?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Chi Yan Lau
Message 10 of 14 (743 Views)

It is English (US) and the 1st update with vista(and before corrupted) is fine.

The computer can detect the ppc connection only if I flash it (itask+contacts+power+reset)...strange...

Is the ppc dead or is there any other way to make it alive again?
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
Prof Julie
Message 11 of 14 (711 Views)

That latest error seems to be an issue with your computer. You could try disabling the firewall and antivirus software on the computer to see if you get a different result.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Chi Yan Lau
Message 12 of 14 (711 Views)

I have try disabling the firewall and antivirus but the same error message appear again...wondering is there anything miss on my window xp? do i need to change my xp window to English US as well? Do i need to active the sync as when i plug in the pcc as currently it does not active?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
amanda lee
Message 13 of 14 (711 Views)

I am having the exact same problem on and ipaq 5555 with the screen loading seemingly all the way and then stopping. And with trying to update the ROM I get the exact same file error. Did you ever find a solution to your problem?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
pax444
Message 14 of 14 (636 Views)

I have a IPAQ H5550 i just got and it will only connect to the internet using the usb cable and my pc, how do i connect via wifi i read things that says it has a wifi tab but when i go where it says under connections there isnt one help please

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation