ipaq 5550 dial-up modem - Urgent! (141 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Laurel Remington
Message 1 of 4 (141 Views)

ipaq 5550 dial-up modem - Urgent!

Hi,

I just purchased an ipaq 5550. I am going to be going to Japan in a couple of days and need to access the internet. I was going to sign up for a global roaming provider that allows access through a local telephone number, and was planning on hooking up the ipaq through the hotel phone line (as my UK mobile phone won't work in Japan).

What do I need in order to do this? I assume I need a modem card (and the proper connector cable), but is there anything else? Does anyone know if this is possible to do?

Please help as I am leaving very soon.

Thanks.
Honored Contributor
Jerome Henry
Message 2 of 4 (141 Views)

Re: ipaq 5550 dial-up modem - Urgent!

Hi,

An easy way to connect is to use the wifi ability from your Ipaq... as long as you can get an 802.11 AP or bluetooth, then you are through...

If you are afraid that you won't get any in Japan, then you can use a compact modem, maybe with an adaptor if you require one : see at :
http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=F1839A&asource=105734
for an example of modem card.

It may happen that telephone connector in Japan is not RJ11, you will then find there adaptors. But a good idea would be to contact your hotel and ask them about their internet connectivity (this is what I do when I travel for long).

Thanks to assign points if it helped you...
Wish you a good travel !

J
You can lean only on what resists you...
Occasional Visitor
Laurel Remington
Message 3 of 4 (141 Views)

Thanks for the response. Do you know if I need a CF sleeve? According to Amazon the ipaq 5550 has a CF slot, but otherwise I can't tell from the specs.
Honored Contributor
Jerome Henry
Message 4 of 4 (141 Views)

It does have an extension slot, but it won't fit your modem needs. So you do need a CF card extension pack.

Look at HP direct extensions pages at :
http://h30143.www3.hp.com/configure2.cfm?oid=306696#m_24
From then, you'll find also very interesting tips and FAQs.

J
You can lean only on what resists you...
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.