Re: ipaq 3955 sd card won't read (539 Views)
Occasional Visitor
George Matsumoto
Message 1 of 11 (662 Views)
Accepted Solution

ipaq 3955 sd card won't read

so for those of you who helped me in the past, i have a ipaq 3955, for which i purchased 1gb SD cards for since i wasn't sure what the max was at the time.

at first it worked great! i was able to upload my games as well as a couple of pdfs, microsoft reader files and such. life was good.

then all of a sudden, the ipaq said it couldn't read the card. i ejected it and reinserted which sometimes helped but now nothing! i can attach the card to my PC via a card reader and it reads fine. i tried letting the 3955 format but it says it can't.

can someone tell me why all of a sudden this happened?

fyi i also warm booted, cold booted, nothing. my last resort is to format on my PC but it still doesn't answer why this all of a sudden won't read cards. any way to fix this?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Kaj_3
Message 2 of 11 (662 Views)

Re: ipaq 3955 sd card won't read

Did you format it in FAT32?
Did you try a soft reset with the card in the Ipaq?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
George Matsumoto
Message 3 of 11 (662 Views)

originally when i stuck in my SD card into the ipaq it read it right out of the packaging. like i said, life was good. everything worked perfectly.

now out of the blue it refuses to read the card.

and yes, with the card in, i've both soft and hard resetted.

thanks.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
George Matsumoto
Message 4 of 11 (662 Views)

also forgot to note that even a new SD card doesn't work. why all of a sudden? =(
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Kaj_3
Message 5 of 11 (662 Views)

Have you seen this update which should take care also when the card is undetected?
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/download/18786.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
George Matsumoto
Message 6 of 11 (662 Views)

hi kaj,

thanks for more info. forgot to mention that i use pocketpc 2003. do you still use this? i thought it was only for pocketpc 2002.

thanks again!
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Kaj_3
Message 7 of 11 (662 Views)

George,
I would think that the drivers should should be ok with the 2003, but I dont know for sure.
I have a 3970 running 2003 + a 4700 and there are no problems with reading cards.
It could be that something has happened to the SD slot if it does not read any cards at all. If that is the problem I think a new slot cost 20-25 USD and it is not a typical do-it-yourself job, so to have it changed by one of the online repair shops might cost 100 USD.
What exactly is the error message you get?
You can download a trial version of PocketMechanic and see if the card tools in that program can help.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
George Matsumoto
Message 8 of 11 (662 Views)

hello again kaj,

yes it's my conclusion, also, that i need to get my sd slot replaced. i was thinking of going with ipaqrepair.com (which is now pdasmart.com). they seem to do that sort of stuff. do you know anything about them? they seem reliable.

thanks again for your help!
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Kaj_3
Message 9 of 11 (662 Views)

George,
I only know this place in UK
http://www.ipaqrepair.co.uk/ipaq_about.php
They offer a free check to see what is wrong with the Ipaq.
If you wait a little other members on the board will surely show up with experience from repair in the US.
You could ask though for a check of the slot. Maybe they will do it for a low cost.
Let us know what happens.
Kaj.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Kaj_3
Message 10 of 11 (662 Views)

George,
I just remembered that sometimes my children had problems with the TV game console. I think it was Nintendo. When the games did not work they would often blow out dust from the slots where the games were put in. I dont know, but maybe something like that could happen in the slots in Ipaqs so the connection will be bad?
Kaj.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
tritontech
Message 11 of 11 (539 Views)

Geroge,

Did you eventually solve the iPaq 3955  SD card problem.  We have a 3955 with the same problem.....

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation