iPaq 6915, GPS and USB charging (144 Views)
Occasional Visitor
dgcalvert
Message 1 of 2 (144 Views)

iPaq 6915, GPS and USB charging

Can USB charging supply enough power to drive the GPS on an iPaq 6915?

I have a cigarette socket powered radio transmitter that I use to play my MP3 player via the car radio, which includes a USB socket that can charge the MP3 player.

I didn't want to spend 115 pounds on a car cradle /charger for the iPaq, so I have tried connecting the USB cradle that came with my iPaq to the USB socket on my MP3 adaptor and used TomTom to navigate while I drove around for an hour or so, with the cradle stuck on the dashboard using blu-tac.

The light on the iPaq showed that it was charging, but by the end of the journey the battery level in the iPaq was noticeably less than when I started the journey. I am wondering, therefore, if the GPS system draws more current than the USB line can supply or whether it is simply a fault with my cigarette lighter /usb adaptor - i.e. if I want to use the iPaq as a car GPS system, then do I really need to get a proper cigarette socket to iPaq adaptor?

Thanks for any help.

Geoff
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
dgcalvert
Message 2 of 2 (144 Views)

Re: iPaq 6915, GPS and USB charging

Been trying a bit more experimentation at home with the iPaq plugged into the USB cradle on my laptop, with the GPS system switched on.

With TomTom running (and seeing satellites), the battery level on the iPaq does seem to be slowly decreasing, despite the charge light showing.

Does seem to imply that USB charging can't supply enough to maintain the battery level and drive the GPS.

Must do some experimentation next with the mains charger and GPS switched on.

Geoff
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation