Re: iPaq 211 Battery life? (1203 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Calvin LaBauve
Message 1 of 17 (1,289 Views)

iPaq 211 Battery life?

I got my iPaq 211 about 2 weeks ago. After a full charge, I let it sit for about 3 days off. I turned it on today, and the battery is at 0%. Is this normal battery life for the 211?
Regular Advisor
Oliver Holt
Message 2 of 17 (1,289 Views)

Re: iPaq 211 Battery life?

No,
Check these few things;
Do you have a CF card in the 211? I find some CF cards discharge the battery at the rate of 2% per hour when the 211 is off.
Did you apply the ActiveSync server trick? ActiveSync will start up the 211 and try to sync and burn down power.
Did you have any alarms or appoitments set with the notify enabled? Again that will start the 211 and burn down power.
I also try to make sure no programs are running when I power the 211 down. Settings/system/memory/running programs - stop all.
I hardly see any power loss after doing these items with my 211.
Occasional Advisor
Calvin LaBauve
Message 3 of 17 (1,289 Views)

I do have a CF and SD cars installed. What is this ActiveSync server trick you mentioned?
Advisor
dr Ken
Message 4 of 17 (1,289 Views)

However, remember that unlike the Palm, one should keep a Pocket PC plugged in when not in use. If you do that, you'll always be set to go. IMHO, I hardly see the point of disengaging all these elements that are the reasons we use the PocketPC in the first place (at least for some of us)! Anyway, there is an option to put your CF card to sleep -- Settings\System\Power\CF Card. I also have a 211 with SD and CF cards and many notifications, alarms, etc. running, and usually get a minimum of 7 hours use on a fully charged battery. Perhaps you have a particular program or conflict that is draining your unit. Good luck!
"If you haven't the courage to impose your own terms upon life, you must accept the terms it offers you." -- T.S. Eliot
Outstanding Contributor
Prof Julie
Message 5 of 17 (1,289 Views)

You can learn about the ActiveSync dummy server fix here:

http://frommypocket.pocketprimer.com/2007/01/10/battery-drainage-activesync-and-the-dummy-server-fix...
Prof Julie | Microsoft MVP Windows Phone Consumer
Occasional Visitor
Glenn Dieckmann
Message 6 of 17 (1,289 Views)

I worked with HP IPAQ support for about a month with no solution. I have complained to my vendor and they have sent me a replacement. Problem symptoms included IPAQ clock losing about 16 minutes in 24 hours. No matter if connected to AC or not. Battery charge going from 80% to 0% and dead in moments. Charging from 20% to full in moments - HP had me send it to repair facility - they sent it back in same condition. I just received my replacement so I guess I will see if this one is any better.
Occasional Advisor
Calvin LaBauve
Message 7 of 17 (1,289 Views)

I applied the dummy server fix yesterday, and after 2 days of very light usage, my battery is at 84%. My next step is to put the PNY 4gig SDHC card back in to see if the drain comes back (I put a standard 2gig PNY SD card in its place 2 days ago).
Occasional Visitor
gary martin
Message 8 of 17 (1,289 Views)

The same thing is happening to me.

It seems to charge up very quickly though from 0%

It's been charging for 10 minutes and is up to 10%.

I have a 4 G CF card and a 2 G SD card.

By the way, I do not believe that you can use a high capacity SD in the slot...which is really an SDIO slot. only SD and SDIO...I could be wrong
Outstanding Contributor
Prof Julie
Message 9 of 17 (1,289 Views)

The 211 will accommodate SDHC cards.
Prof Julie | Microsoft MVP Windows Phone Consumer
Regular Advisor
iPAQ212_Owner
Message 10 of 17 (1,289 Views)

I am using iPAQ 212 which is basically the same as 211 apart from the language.

I have one 8G SDHC and one 8G CF on my 212 and the battery looses about 3% of energy after I switch off the device for a night. I know CF card consumes some power to reflash its memory even though it is in idle condition so I remove the CF card for a night and the battery only drops by about 1%.

I suggest we just use only SDHC card and leave the CF slot as a removable storage. According to HP, 212 can use 32G of SDHC without any problem.

Regards.
Occasional Visitor
Brenda Franklin
Message 11 of 17 (1,203 Views)

WK LEE said in his response that:
According to HP, 212 can use 32G of SDHC without any problem.

When I contacted HP I was told HP 212 can only use 2GB card. So what is the true story?

My 8GB card works fine until the point at which the music etc being downloaded passes 2GB - then the PDA shuts down. The only way I can get it going again is to take the battery out and then replace.

After I have done that I can download more music.

Any ideas anyone?
Regular Advisor
iPAQ212_Owner
Message 12 of 17 (1,203 Views)

I am using a 16G SDHC card without problem so far.

Regarding iPAQ 200 series' battery there are interesting discussions in the following link:

http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=259023
Occasional Visitor
Brenda Franklin
Message 13 of 17 (1,203 Views)

Thank you. Since posting my question I have found on this website that HP have confirmed compatibility with Sandisk's Standard SDHCâ ¢ Card 4GB, amongst others, so I don't think it can be what I was advised by their help line i.e. that it only accepts 2GB cards.

I will post my question to that site you have referred me to and see what they have to say.

Occasional Visitor
gary martin
Message 14 of 17 (1,203 Views)

I had the same problem.

Here is what's happening...

If you remove the CF Compact Disc,
Your battery will not drain.

If you leave your CF Compact Disc in then
you will lose 1% a day if you have your
sleep mode setting turned off.

You will lose a lot more than that if the
sleep mode is turned on.

Note that I'm not sure if it is called sleep
mode or not. I do not have the 211 with me at the moment and it has been since March
that I figured it out.

I do know that the function name is opposite of what you would expect for
saving battery life.

Such as sleep mode (if that is what it is called) actually uses more battery life.

It allows for quick start up when you turn it on.

Play around with it...I do know that popping
the CF card out when not in used saves the battery.
Occasional Visitor
Brenda Franklin
Message 15 of 17 (1,203 Views)

This is a reply to ipaq 212 owner's last post:

Did you format your SD card before you started using it? I didn't and wonder if that is the problem.

Thanks
Regular Advisor
iPAQ212_Owner
Message 16 of 17 (1,203 Views)

Yes, I did format my SDHC card when I first put in in my iPAQ.
Occasional Visitor
Brenda Franklin
Message 17 of 17 (1,203 Views)

That's interesting. I don't understand what formatting does, have only just found out about it. Is there anything it does that might be making the difference here do you think?
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.