iPAQ RX3115 ROM Upgrade (5278 Views)
Occasional Visitor
CA1524410
Message 1 of 6 (5,278 Views)

iPAQ RX3115 ROM Upgrade

I know this is an older product, but I am still trying to use it. I attempted to upgrade the firmware and it went through a series of reads and then displayed this message. "Wrong Image!!" Then is failed with a connection error. I have this unit hooked to a Vista Business system. I also downloaded and am using the Microsoft Mobile Center software for Sync since the instructions said that the normal Active Sync software would not work on Vista. I an still access the iPAQ, but I suspect that I am not using it fully since there are several updates that need to be done including the DSTfix. Can anyone help me on this?
Outstanding Contributor
Prof Julie
Message 2 of 6 (5,278 Views)

Re: iPAQ RX3115 ROM Upgrade

The updates are incompatible with Vista and cannot be installed from a Vista machine. Try to install them again on an XP machine.
Prof Julie | Microsoft MVP Windows Phone Consumer
Occasional Visitor
CA1524410
Message 3 of 6 (5,278 Views)

I move the connection to a XP Pro box. Then I started all over with the reset of the iPAQ and then reestablished the Active Link with the iPAQ. It still came up with "Wrong Image" and then a communication error. so I restarted it again. This time making sure that the reset hadn't shown any errors. This time it worked. However, it reset everything back to Jan, 1, 2004. I am assuming that this is ok. Do I just now need to reset the date? And run DSTFix for the new Daylight Savings Time changes?
Occasional Visitor
Harry Miktarian
Message 4 of 6 (5,278 Views)

I am having this same problem with my rx3115...but I am running XP Pro sp.3 and MS active sync 4.5. The only two variables:

1. I have an extended 3rd party battery installed...not sure why that would effect things, but full disclosure here.

2. I am attached and syncing with a USB power/sync cable. I do not recall if this device came with a serial or usb or combo cable...but I cannot find it now.

I get the wrong image! indication as the above user, but the update appears to start with the top progress bar on the IPAQ completing (completes on the PC also) then it errors with a generic communications issue and gives the standard reset, try again message.

Any assistance would be appreciated!
Occasional Visitor
Harry Miktarian
Message 5 of 6 (5,278 Views)

I found a HP IPAQ bootloader app to load roms...but am hesitant to use it. I did see some people have used it to load 3117 ROMs of different languages to their 3115...
Occasional Visitor
AmbriasCOcom
Message 6 of 6 (5,172 Views)

I have the same problem. Have you found anything that works?

Harry Miktarian wrote:
I am having this same problem with my rx3115...but I am running XP Pro sp.3 and MS active sync 4.5. The only two variables:

1. I have an extended 3rd party battery installed...not sure why that would effect things, but full disclosure here.

2. I am attached and syncing with a USB power/sync cable. I do not recall if this device came with a serial or usb or combo cable...but I cannot find it now.

I get the wrong image! indication as the above user, but the update appears to start with the top progress bar on the IPAQ completing (completes on the PC also) then it errors with a generic communications issue and gives the standard reset, try again message.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.