iPAQ 4150 & VPN (324 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Clymmer
Message 1 of 3 (324 Views)

iPAQ 4150 & VPN

I'm trying to configure an iPAQ 4150 handheld to connect to our wi-fi network and use vpn to get to our interior network. So far, I can get the 4150 on our wi-fi network successfully (i.e. I can browse to internet sites, etc.) however, I've not been able to get the VPN settings to work. In fact, beyond the configuration screen where I define the VPN settings, it doesn't seem like the wireless connection is even acknowleding that VPN settings exist.

I've configured an iPAQ 3950 successfully already (that's running PPC 2003 & using a sleeve with a Cisco wireless card). It connects to the wi-fi network AND lets me use the VPN server to get into our network. When I tap the connection icon (the one with the two arrows on the start bar), the connection dialog shows that there's an Internet Connection and a VPN connection. When I tap that same icon on the 4150, it only shows the Internet Connection in that dialog box.

I've also run into the same issue on a 1940 using a SanDisk wifi card and an older 3670 in a sleeve using a Cisco Wireless card. Only the 3950 configuration works.

Since I can successfully do this on one PPC, it seems like this is an issue with the other handhelds moreso than anything that's a problem with our wifi network.

Any ideas? I checked with HP's online tech support chat and they punted me to the tech support phone line. Unfortunately, the support phone line tried to punt me back to the tech support chat, but opted to send me to this forum instead. *sigh*

Any help would be greatly appreciated . . . we're trying to hit a live date deadline here . . . :-)

C.
Occasional Visitor
Clymmer
Message 2 of 3 (324 Views)

Re: iPAQ 4150 & VPN

Hello?

Anyone out there? ;-)

C.
Occasional Visitor
Clymmer
Message 3 of 3 (324 Views)

Re: iPAQ 4150 & VPN

Well, thanks to Capp & Mangled/Mungled (two users over the 'net), I got the answer I was looking for.

The problem was that I was trying to make the default network entry "My Work Network" do double duty in a sense. I was trying to configure that entry to reference my VPN server. Capp explained to me that "My Work Network" is a special entry that really is reserved for WiFi activesync (I think that's what was explained to me). Too bad that wasn't documented somewhere. Aaanyway, I created a new network entry "XXX VPN" with the VPN connection configuration and I was basically good to go.

Capp did also say that there's one bit to watch out for: if you attempt to sync two pop email accounts, then your PPC backup/restore functionality ceases to work. I'll have to take his word on that one for now as we're not even touching that yet. He did mention that he's working with the company from New Zealand on beta software fixes for this issue and that he was going to make suggestions to HP once they're solid.

Hope this helps someone else.

C.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.