how to remove HP Protecttools (factory reset) (2458 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Barry Hamill
Message 1 of 9 (2,458 Views)
Accepted Solution

how to remove HP Protecttools (factory reset)

I've inherited three iPaq hx2110s. They all start up and ask for a PIN for HP ProtectTools encryption- I have no idea what those PINs would be. I've tried to do a hard reset, but it keeps coming back to the encryption PIN. Does anyone know a way around this?
Outstanding Contributor
Prof Julie
Message 2 of 9 (2,458 Views)

Re: how to remove HP Protecttools (factory reset)

A hard reset should work if these devices are running windows mobile 2003se. Is this the procedure you are performing?

Press and hold down the Calendar and iTask buttons.
While holding down these buttons, use the stylus to lightly press the Reset button on the bottom of the iPAQ Pocket PC for about two seconds.

When the Pocket PC screen begins to fade, release the Calendar and iTask buttons first, and then remove the stylus from the Reset button.

If the devices were upgraded to WM5.0, you'd need to perform a clean reset:

1) Press and hold the Calendar button, the Power button, and the Messaging button.

2) While holding these buttons, use the stylus to lightly press the Reset button on the bottom of the HP iPAQ.

3) When the Pocket PC screen begins to fade, release all of the buttons, and then remove the stylus from the Reset button.

The HP iPAQ restarts and powers on
Prof Julie | Microsoft MVP Windows Phone Consumer
Occasional Advisor
Barry Hamill
Message 3 of 9 (2,458 Views)

I've tried both of those procedures, and it appears to do the hard reset (I have to go through the mini-tutorial in which you align the screen and cut and paste an item), but then it kicks into the Protect Tools and asks me for a pin.
Outstanding Contributor
Prof Julie
Message 4 of 9 (2,458 Views)

The only way to overcome the PIN issue is by performing a successful hard/factory reset. Try again, and make sure you are holding the keys down long enough....sometimes it takes longer than the documentation states.

You may need to get someone to lend a hand.

Prof Julie | Microsoft MVP Windows Phone Consumer
Occasional Advisor
Barry Hamill
Message 5 of 9 (2,458 Views)

Still no luck here. I left batteries out of the devices all weekend, came back today and put one back in, hoping the backup battery had been drained- nope, same behavior.

I leaned on the two buttons (the calendar and iTask ones) for about a minute while pushing the reset button, then released calendar and itask, then released reset, then repowered the system. It asked me to align the screen, set the timezone, etc., then reestablished the HP Protect Tools. Driving me crazy here. Anyone have a hack for this? Take it apart and short the main board? Anything?
Honored Contributor
Kaj_3
Message 6 of 9 (2,458 Views)

The HP Protect Tools can be set up to maintain the the Protect Tools security through a hard reset, which has probably been done on your ipaqs. So there is nothing you can do about it. You could call HP directly and ask if it is possible to reflash the ipaqs.
Occasional Advisor
Barry Hamill
Message 7 of 9 (2,458 Views)

Your words are a knife through my heart. Or at least, through these iPAQs, 'cause I'm sure it costs more than they're worth to have them reflashed. Oh, well, thanks for helping, anyway.
Occasional Advisor
Barry Hamill
Message 8 of 9 (2,458 Views)

But wait! A solution!

Don't know how I missed this thread before: "How to regain factory settings on my ipaq hx2110?" (http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1151690). The user had the same problem as me, so he:

- when it asked for a PIN, he entered it wrong, three times.
- it then asked a security question (your favorite band when you were growing up). He answered wrong three times
- it then said it was going to restore factory default settings. the iPAQ reset, and then came up to a different "Protect Tools" screen telling me it was resetting, and not to disconnect the AC
- after about two minutes, it reset again and behaved like an out-of-the-box system- it had me set up the system and then took me to the main page, WITHOUT PROTECTTOOLS ACTIVE!

Woo-effing-hoo!
Occasional Visitor
TamH70
Message 9 of 9 (1,988 Views)

Bit of a necro post but the above guide enabled me to get my HP Ipaq HX2490B which I bought from Ebay working, so thanks very much.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.