changing backup battery for iPAQ 4700 (2297 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Tracy Tran
Message 1 of 7 (2,297 Views)

changing backup battery for iPAQ 4700

Can you please tell me where I can find step-by-step instruction to change backup battery for my iPAQ 4700. Thanks
Advisor
Sudheendra Gowtham
Message 2 of 7 (2,297 Views)

Re: changing backup battery for iPAQ 4700

Tracy, please note that the Backup batteries, which are also referred to as bridge batteries, provide a power source for a short period of time.

HP iPAQ's typically include an internal backup battery that allows the user to change the main battery without losing RAM data (user-installed programs and data) as long as it is replaced within a few minutes.

The amount of time the backup battery holds power varies between models. Some HP iPAQ backup batteries provide power for not more than 3 or 4 minutes, others last up to 30.
If the main battery is removed from the unit for longer than the backup battery provides power, the user will lose unsaved RAM data.

If after charging the iPAQ for more than 3 hours, the backup battery remains empty then we suggest that you send the iPAQ for repair and get the backup battery of the iPAQ replaced.

Also, note that there are 2 batteries. One is the Main battery that you can remove and the other is the non removable backup battery. The backup battery will provide charge if the Main battery lose charge. But you will not be able to work with only Backup battery. The backup battery can only supply charge for a maximum of 20 minutes. You will need to charge the Main battery before that.

Backup will not be charged separately. It is associated with Main battery.

The backup battery is not a user replaceable part.
Occasional Visitor
elektrikgypsy
Message 3 of 7 (2,295 Views)

Hi there my 4700 is indicating that the backup battery needs replacing. I've been to see the shop where I bought the device and they're clueless about what I need to do. Can someone from HP advise please? Do I need to bring it to an HP facility? if so, where? This probably needs to be done soon, and I don't have huge amounts of time to devote to it! The simpler the better! Thank you!
Outstanding Contributor
Prof Julie
Message 4 of 7 (2,292 Views)

There are places on the web that will replace your battery for you.  One such service you could check out is Pocket PC Techs.

Also, if you feel up to trying this yourself, you might find this article useful.

I have an old IPAQ whose backup battery no longer works.  I don't replace the main battery and if I ever have the need to remove the main battery, I'll just use IPAQ Backup to backup the entire IPAQ to my storage card.  Then I can easily restore from the storage card and not have to "rebuild" the device.  That works for me, so I've decided not to replace the backup battery.

Prof Julie | Microsoft MVP Windows Phone Consumer
Regular Advisor
Jirji C.
Message 5 of 7 (2,278 Views)

Occasional Visitor
elektrikgypsy
Message 6 of 7 (2,264 Views)

Thanks guys, that's really helpful - I'll have a look at the links and maybe have a go, but the storage card backup option makes a lot of sense anyway. Cheers! By the way, what's the name of the battery, anyway? Could I pick one up in Maplin's or some such?
Regular Advisor
Jirji C.
Message 7 of 7 (2,150 Views)

backup battery for ipaq hx4700 this is a special one .Probably world's smallest ni-mh rechargeable battery manufactured by Varta. Possibly can not be found at retailers.

you may try to purchase at

http://www.repairhppda.com/backup-battery-for-hx4700hx4705-p-101.html

cheers

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.