Re: Problem communicating with an external modem using iPAQ h3975 (220 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Jean Yun
Message 1 of 9 (220 Views)
Accepted Solution

Problem communicating with an external modem using iPAQ h3975

I have a iPAQ Pocket PC (h3975), which has the Bluetooth built in. I'm trying to use this iPAQ h3975 to communicate with an external modem that we've been developed via bluetooth.

The modem has a standard RS232 connecter connected to it and uses standard AT commands to communicate with any DTE such as a PDA or a desktop PC. Any serial port program like HyperTerminal(PC) or Term Force(iPAQ) would work for the modem. I'm using Term Force for the serial communication in my iPAQ h3975.

My iPAQ h3975 CAN communicate with the modem just fine if it is using a cradle and the 9- pin serial connecter from the cradle is connected to the modem physically (well, still I had to use a null modem connecter between two serial connecters though).

However, it wouldn't work with the Bluetooth.
For the modem side, I have a BL-521 RS232 Bluetooth Converter (Brainboxes) connected, which is supposed to add the bluetooth function to the modem.
For the iPAQ side, I turned on the Bluetooth, was able to find the modem(with bluetooth converter), and successfully connected to the modem using serial 01.

Now, the problem starts. Now the iPAQ is connected to the modem and I open up the Term Force(simple serial port program) and open a session. Here, which port should I select? Here is the list of COM ports that I see: Bluetooth Dialup Modem, Bluetooth Fax Modem, Bluetooth Null Modem, COM5, Generic IrDA modem, Hayes Compatible Modem, Infrared Port, IRDA Connection, Serial Cable on BT, Serial Cable on CO, Serial on USB and Widcomm BT Null. I tried them all, but it's either it failed to connect or connected but no responses.

What should I do to get this to work? Could it be a problem from Term Force or the BL-521 RS232 Bluetooth converter?

Please let me know if anybody knows any serial port program which actually worked with an external modem via bluetooth or if any of you experienced such a problem and solved it.

Also, it would be a GREAT help if any of you could give me any info on this. I would appreciate it!!

Jean
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Angela Kendal
Message 2 of 9 (220 Views)

Re: Problem communicating with an external modem using iPAQ h3975

Hi Jean,

You could get a quicker response if you posted your query to:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/categoryhome.do?categoryId=273

Just open a 'New Message', copy-paste the contents of this thread and submit it.

Also, you could check out the list of iPAQ products given in the following url:

http://tinyurl.com/26gln

(Please verify your iPAQ number(h3975) since it does not seem to appear in the list of iPAQ pocket pcs.)

Good luck then!

rgds,
Angela
The best vitamin for making friends is B-1.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Jean Yun
Message 3 of 9 (220 Views)

Thank you so much, Angela
I posted the copy of the same question on the forum you told me.
The h3975 has been discontinued. That's why you don't see them anymore. But, I think it should work like any other 3970 series..
Thanks,
Jean
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Jean Yun
Message 4 of 9 (220 Views)

Angela, I didn't know giving 10 points means that my problem is completly solved. Obviously, it is not solved yet. Could you please give me the second URL again? I couldn't find the address for the list of Pocket PCs. Thank you so much.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Angela Kendal
Message 5 of 9 (220 Views)

Hi Jean,

Sorry to note that your problem has not been completely solved.

Here's the url that I had earlier sent across to you:

http://tinyurl.com/26gln

(But I hope this url works for you. The message I got when I typed it in this time was: ' the page is not found'.)

I suggest that you type in this url:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ProductRoot.jsp?locale=en_US&contentType=PartsBridg...

When this link opens, on the top right hand corner, you see a box that is labeled: 'Search Products'.

Pl enter in the correct part number of your IPaq. This will lead you to detailed documents on iPAQ series.

Hope this helps.

Thks and rgds,
Angela

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Jean Yun
Message 6 of 9 (220 Views)

Thank you, Angela
I got it to work now. It was from misunderstanding inbound and outbound COM ports of PDAs. I set the correct COM port and it worked.
Thank you so much for your time and advice. :D
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Angela Kendal
Message 7 of 9 (220 Views)

Hi Jean,

You're most welcome.

Good luck!

rgds,
Angela
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
CA1110249
Message 8 of 9 (220 Views)

I am also confused about inbound and outbound Bluetooth COM ports. Where can I find out more information?

- jevans
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Jean Yun
Message 9 of 9 (220 Views)

John,

IPAQ Bluetooth Software sets COM ports for incoming and outgoing connections. If the IPAQ initiated the Bluetooth connection with the other device, then the outgoing(outbound) COM port will be used to send and receive data. If the the other device initiated the Bluetooth connection to connect to the IPAQ, then the incoming(inbound) COM port will be used to send and receive data. To find out the COM ports for incoming and outgoing connection, check out your Bluetooth manager settings on your IPAQ or PDA.
Hope this helps.

Jean
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation