Re: IPAQ 914c - upgradeing ROM problem (2988 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Message 1 of 17 (2,988 Views)

IPAQ 914c - upgradeing ROM problem

Hello,
I 'm writting becouse I have a problem with my IPAQ 914c. Few days ago we riecieved an info that new ROM is available. I downloaded new ROM and instraction UpdateGuide.pdf. I made everything step by step from this manuall and installation started. During installation process (in the middle of it) I riecieved an error, that is not listed in this guide. Erorr Code: 402 "Unnable to connet with device"...and also an instruction what to do: 1. disconnect device, 2. soft reset, 3. reconnect IPAQ. I made this just about 6 times, but nothing happened. The result is that now my IPAQ is completly down (I mean I'm not able to start OS Windows). When I turn on my device I have only logo HP with pice of command line with "RUU..." written on it. What shall I do with this problem?
Regards, Tomasz
Outstanding Contributor
Message 2 of 17 (2,988 Views)

Re: IPAQ 914c - upgradeing ROM problem

The OS on the IPAQ is now corrupted and not workable. The only way to fix it is by performing a successing installation of the ROM update (or by sending it to HP for repair).

Are you sure you downloaded the correct version of this update for your IPAQ? Does the language of the ROM match the language that your IPAQ has?

Did you attempt to install the update from a Vista machine? If so, try the update again from an XP machine.

When you download the ROM update from HP's website, save the ROM in the default folder on your computer (don't change the folder to some place else on your computer).

Make sure the IPAQ is fully charged before attempting the ROM update again.

Make sure you disable any antivirus or firewall on your computer before running the ROM update.

Let us know how it goes.
Prof Julie | Microsoft MVP Windows Phone Consumer
Occasional Visitor
Message 3 of 17 (2,988 Views)

So, let me start from the begining: I'm, not so happy, user of Vista OS. I disconected my laptop from the network, shuted down all: antivir, firewall and other funny progs. Connected IPAQ to my laptop, opened Upgradeing User Guide and followed it step by step. I downloaded the perfect ROM version (checked language, P/N, ect.)
So the resoult of updating my IPAQ was, blue screen after switching it on. So after half an hour searching I found solution "how to repair my phone"...bringing back my old ROM.
I started my device in Bootloader mode (OK button + voice up + reset) and flashed the ROM version (a little downgrade), just to have my IPAQ workable. Now, everything works fine except ROM 1.00.05(I've returned to the state just before updating). To end my story - little conclusion: now I have 1.00.05 version - but stored on my HDD, still useing 1.00.03 on ipaq. it's working badly - but works indid.
I've heard that there is a possibility to boot IPAQ (-614) from SD card (it calls SD LOADER). Just remove all data from SD card, copy then all ROM files:
Partition.nbf
amsshd.mbn
amss.mbn
configure.ini
romupdate.dll
iacdhcp.exe
hpruu.exe
wbem.bat,
then start deviace in bootloader mode and autonmaticly files from SD card are installed on a flash. Have You ever heard about that in 914c ? Is there anybody who tried that?

Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor
Message 4 of 17 (2,988 Views)

I have read of that procedure (updating from an SD card) but I have never read of someone with an IPAQ being able to do it successfully). About 4 years ago, I searched around for a working method of doing this and never found one that worked on an IPAQ. I haven't looked around lately, so maybe your information is better than mine.

It would be easier for me just to run the update from an XP machine. There have been many reports from users who bricked their devices by running updates from Vista computers. Fortunately, most have been able to fix their devices by running the update from an XP machine. There are those who successfully run these updates from Vista machines, but to be on the safe side, I would only run updates from an XP machine.
Prof Julie | Microsoft MVP Windows Phone Consumer
Occasional Visitor
Message 5 of 17 (2,988 Views)

I can present You my results of Upgreading ROM that I've made an hour ago.

To make saccesfully ROM update, we can easily run our Device in "bootloader" mode and flashed ROM from microSD card. What we'll need:
- empty microSD card,
- ROM files,
- a little bit of free time.
First of all, we have to unpack ROM file that probably we can find in *.exe version. After that we are able to find new folder on a system drive (i.e. C:\iPAQ_900_RUU_1.00.05_\). Inside of it we will have all ROM files that we will use to make an update.
Secondly (when we have this foder created) we have to put on our microSD, files listed below:
-Partition.nbf
-amsshd.mbn
-amss.mbn
-configure.ini
-romupdate.dll
-iacdhcp.exe
-hpruu.exe
-wbem.bat,
then insert and turn iPAQ on in a special way. Turning on our device: to run a bootloader mode we have to hold at the same time OK button + VOICE DOWN button + RESET button. Then relase RESET holding OK and VOICE. After that step we can see on the main screen: HP Logo and on the upper side - CMD line with: "Downloading image...". If every thing goes fine, we have to patiently wait for finishing installation.

Cheers, Tomek
Occasional Visitor
Message 6 of 17 (2,988 Views)

OKâ ¦unfortunately previous note wasnâ t so accurate.
Iâ ve tried this solution once again and it doesn't work properly.
Iâ ve spend much time reading many articules on pocket/mobile forums and I found 2 workaround methods to upgrade our iPAQs.
Starting from the beginning.
We have to download ROM from HP Support site (in *.exe format) and executed it to unpack all files (as Iâ ve already written in C:/iPAQ ).
Among many files that we have, find FLASH.NBF file and edit it using HEX-editor (i.e. xvi32). When we display the context of a file, we have to delete first 3432 bytes (in xvi32 editor - XVIscript > Editorâ ¦ > type command DEL 3432 and press Execute â then close the editor without saving and then save file on HDD as FLASH.DIO). When we create FLASH.DIO file we have to decide which method weâ ll use.
1. METHOD is:
Just copy FLASH.DIO file on empty microSD card. Put inside of our device and turn it on in SDLoader mode (VOICE UP + OK + RESET). Important thing is to fully charge the battery of the device.
2. METHOD is:
We change the type of FLASH.DIO to FLASH.nb0 â just rename.
We have to search network for DNW app and execute it. Firstly in Configuration tab select Option and change connection type from 0xc000000 to 0x3000000 (USB). Secondly turn on our device in DOWNLOAD IMAGE mode (VOICE DOWN + OK + RESET) and connect it to PC. In SEC folder (subfolder of DNW) we can find drivers that we have to install after connecting iPAQ. When weâ ve covered everything, we select USB Port > UBOOT > and select our FLASH.nb0 file.

Iâ ve tried both methods twice â it works. Now I have new ROM version and works fine.

Cheers,
Tomek
Occasional Advisor
Message 7 of 17 (2,988 Views)

Tomek,

your step by step guide helped me a lot. Thanks ! Bruno
Occasional Visitor
Message 8 of 17 (2,988 Views)

Hi there,

Tomek, nice work you did here with the SD-Card! I had exactly the same problem as you. First I tried to upgrade mit iPAQ 914 on a Vista machine. The update process always freezed up at 51% during the Windows Mobile 6.1 upgrade section. After this my handheld wasn't bootable anymore (Error Code: RUU).

I then tried to upgrade it on a XP machine and it worked fine...

Best regards,

Patrice
Frequent Advisor
Message 9 of 17 (2,988 Views)

I tried to update using Vista also, got RUU code and could not reboot. HP was sending me a new Ipaq, but I got it to upgrade using windows XP, now I have no problems.
Occasional Visitor
Message 10 of 17 (2,988 Views)

I can verify that Tomek's method #1 works on an iPAQ 910 c (The US version, from what I understand.) Thank you so very much. A couple of things I learned:

1. Before you go into SD loader mode, you may have to get it out of RUU mode. Press voice up and CAMERA at the same time and hold them, then press reset and release it. This I found very awkward but it got the phone out of RUU mode. Then use Tomek's method to put it in SD loader mode.

2. I learned that "SD" means "SD." SDHC will not work. Maybe that should have been obvious, but it was not to me.

I was not able to get method 2 to work, but only because I did not have the patience to make DNW work. I want to learn this way too.

So far I am quite pleased with the new version of the operating system. The phone sound is much better. Google Maps seems smoother and the GPS seems to work better.

However, I am very unhappy with HP. What on Earth were they meaning to do by deploying an installer that would not work on the very OS they themselves recommend? Should they not have known that many of their customers would wind up bricking their units? And those installers are still up! Doubtless there is some poor trusting idiot out there right now, just like I was; he didn't read the discussion boards before trying to update his iPAQ, and now he is about to realize that he is holding a nonfunctioning piece of metal in his hand. I know most people want to blame Vista for this, but, truly, I don't see that. Mostly I have liked Vista and it has worked well for me, though the transition was a bit rocky. I don't consider problems like this, that are occurring over two years after Vista was released, part of a transition. This just seems like carelessness on HP's part to me.
Occasional Visitor
Message 11 of 17 (2,607 Views)

Thanks Tomasz!

Procedure No1 didn't work for me for some reason, but with procedure 2 I have reised my Ipaq 914 from certain death.

Note to all: DNW tool can be found on www.mediafire.com/paloma

Thanks Paloma for great tool!

Regards!

Miro
Occasional Visitor
Message 12 of 17 (2,607 Views)

Just updated my 914c using your description with SDloader. works great, as my USB is broken. but GSM fw is not update. could you please check in you HP asset viewer, if the GSM fw has been upgrated?

Regards

Lars
Occasional Visitor
Message 13 of 17 (2,607 Views)

Dear all,

I have the same issue with my my ipaq 914c.while updating the rom it hanged on 50% and i got the error 402.how can i donwload the rom files to put then on the SD card and follow the sd card method.

Thanks and appreciate your prompt reply.
Occasional Visitor
Message 14 of 17 (2,607 Views)

Dear all,

I had already the same problem you did (Error code 402)when upgrading with windows vista. However, the upgraded ROM is successful with windows XP. In summary, using Activesyn with windows XP will be done

Good luck
Occasional Visitor
Message 15 of 17 (2,607 Views)

hi i got same problem but i can`t recharge my battery, my pc dont recognize device so its not able to charge it.and a/c charger dosen`t work aswell.and one more how long i need wait when in command line appears dowloading image.please help
Occasional Visitor
Message 16 of 17 (2,607 Views)

i had same story. while try to SP43434 update with my 914c device, update corrapted in %50 and hp logo always shown while device open.
i just applied tomeks hex edit and sd card method. worked perfect. 914c is now working.
big thanks to tomeks perfect work. rescued us from very terrible stuation.sd card method better then usb for me.
ofcourse i must say i hate hp's software developers.
Occasional Visitor
Message 17 of 17 (2,250 Views)

TOMEK DO U MEAN ONLY THE FLASH.DIO FILE SHOULD BE COPIED TO THE SD AND INSERT INTO THE DEVICE? ALSO MY OS LANGUAGE IS IN SWEDISH WILL LIKE TO CHANGE IT TO ENGLISH HOW DO I DO THAT? HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON. NSIAH
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.