IPAQ 110 stuck in RUU Download Mode (3612 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Jimbo2
Message 1 of 8 (3,612 Views)

IPAQ 110 stuck in RUU Download Mode

After installing Windows 7 on HP computer, I attempted to download the new 'Software - Driver' update from HP. The process began, the iPAQ went into "RUU Download Mode" then everything stopped. And I get an error msg now, "iPAQ update utility received an error while trying to communicate with your iPAQ." It then suggests a soft restart. I tried the soft restart...nothing. I tried removing the battery then replacing it...nothing. Finally tried a hard restart... nothing. The iPAQ is will not turn off (unless, of course, the battery is removed) and will not come out of RUU Download Mode. Any suggestions??
Outstanding Contributor
Prof Julie
Message 2 of 8 (3,604 Views)

Re: IPAQ 110 stuck in RUU Download Mode

If you review this forum, you'll find lots of threads from other users who ran into the same problem when they attempted a ROM update from a Vista or Windows 7 computer.  You may be able to restore your IPAQ to working order by installing the ROM update from an XP computer. 

Prof Julie | Microsoft MVP Windows Phone Consumer
Occasional Visitor
Jimbo2
Message 3 of 8 (3,586 Views)

Thanks Julie:

Unfortunately, I don't have access to XT so that's not an option for me.  There MUST be a way to get out of the "RUU Download Mode" and turn off the iPAQ though.  Any suggestions on that?

Occasional Visitor
Jimbo2
Message 4 of 8 (3,585 Views)

Ooops. Meant XP!
Outstanding Contributor
Prof Julie
Message 5 of 8 (3,583 Views)

I know of no other solution.  If you don't have an XP machine, maybe you can use a friend's machine.  As far as I know, installing the update from an XP machine is the only solution and fixes the problem probably 90% of the time.

Prof Julie | Microsoft MVP Windows Phone Consumer
Occasional Visitor
jrudhar
Message 6 of 8 (3,163 Views)

Hi there, I have an HP PDA iPAQ 110, and I was downloading the software for it from the HP website and during the download process the screen of the PDA went white and read "RUU Download Mode".

I tried everything from disconnecting the battery to reseting it and it doesn't go back to the normal screen. 

I read the above post and tried connecting to my XP computer but the PDA isn't recognised on that computer. Any Advice?????

Cheers...

Occasional Advisor
Troy Forrest
Message 7 of 8 (3,131 Views)

Make sure you have Activesync installed on the XP computer, as the ROM update program requires it.

Once you re-run the ROM update in most cases it should locate (after a time) and continue with the ROM update.

if for some reason it does not pick up.

1. Open Activesync on the desktop. Go into File->Connection Settings and uncheck the "Allow USB connections" checkbox (this will temporarily keep Activesync from monitoring the USB port).

2. Soft-reset the device using the soft-reset button

3. Reboot the desktop (for good measure)

4. Once you're logged into the XP box again, connect the 110 and re-run the ROM update.

If the ROM update works, re-enable USB Connections under Activesync.

A couple of additional notes not mentioned above. Make sure you charge the battery for 20-30 minutes before starting the ROM upgrade (as the ROM upgrade program requires the battery be at an 25% charge as I remember). Also avoid avoid external USB hubs, or USB hubs that have many USB periphrials plugged in (or unplug active high bandwidth devices such as USB drives, printers, web-cameras..etc that are attached to the hub)
Occasional Visitor
abcsoftware
Message 8 of 8 (864 Views)

il mio iPAQ 114 è bloccato su RUU Download Mode e non riesco a resettarlo

sapete cosa devo fare?

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.