Re: GSM/GPRS Wireless Pack - battery (251 Views)
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 1 of 11 (251 Views)
Accepted Solution

GSM/GPRS Wireless Pack - battery

My beloved Phone Jacket does not work anymore.
It seems that the battery is dead.
As it has run out of warranty for 6 months, I hesitate to hand it in to HP service.
It ssens that it could not be too difficult to replace the battery.

I'm unable to find any information on what type of battery I would need.
The Spare Part store does only present the Jacket itself (P/N 219927-B21, SP # 229568-001) but nothing more.

Has anybody out there have any idea on how to get information on the type of battery and it's spare-parts number?

TIA
Rainald
Outstanding Contributor
Laura
Message 2 of 11 (251 Views)

Re: GSM/GPRS Wireless Pack - battery

have a look at www.usedipaq.com
It is owned by Frank Kurka who used to participate in these forums and seems a really good guy.
I questioned a few things on his web site and was consistently answered promptly and courteously.
I realise that you are in Germany and this place is in US but they mat be able to suplly or give info on those spare parts.
Laura Rooke
Microsoft MVP - Windows Phone [2006,2007,2008,2009,2010]
Outstanding Contributor
Laura
Message 3 of 11 (251 Views)

the good thing about this place being in the US is that you should be able to call them now ! That website will give you a phone number.
Laura Rooke
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 4 of 11 (251 Views)

Thanks, Laura.
Will dod so.

Starnge enough: the links on this site hardly work :-(

Rainald
Outstanding Contributor
Laura
Message 5 of 11 (251 Views)

yes - not all the links work - I have always had 24 hour returns (if not shorter) of my emails and it might be worth a phone call ?
Laura Rooke
Trusted Contributor
Patrick
Message 6 of 11 (251 Views)

Dear Rainald,

did you continuisly used the pack?

If you are not using the pack for some time (app. 6 month), it completly drains the battery. This leads to a very low inner resistance of the battery. When trying to recharge the pack, the chargin-logic thinks, there is a shortage and doesn't start charge, but it's only the battery which require some higher current for the first moment of the recharge-process.

You could try to put an initial charge direct to the battery with 3V, 500mA DC powersupply. To do so, you have to remove the simholder and the antenna. Open the 4 torx-screws. The back of the pack is clipped together with jacket on the side. After that, you see the battery. For security-reasons, you might disconnect the plug from the main circuit first and provide 3V max. 500 mA DC for 10-30 sec. direct to the battery-leads which are under the white tape (plus is marked with red colour or use a DMM to check polarity, BE SURE about the polarity). This should be enough for an initial charge and after that, the battery could be charged the normal way. If you have an ampere-meter on the powersupply, you will see a high current (restrict it to a max of 500 mA) in the first two seconds and after that, it will rapidly fall to about 100 mA which is normal. Since this is not the recommended charging process for LiIon, the battery must be charged the normal way after that.

BE Careful about static damage to the electronics and keep in mind, that LiIon-Batteries could explode if shortcircuit or charged with wrong polarity.

I am not responsible for any harm or damage.

It's also possible, that the battery is gone bad. You could use one from an expansion-pack or an older Ipaq-model, This might require soldering skills.

Since you are from germany, you could provide you e-mail contact for further information.

Regards
Patrick
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 7 of 11 (251 Views)

Thank you so much, Patrick for your verbose reply!! Printed it out immediately.

Pls accept my apologies for coming back so late. I wanted to test things once more and so the topic feel behind.

1.)
The technical side is ways above my technical capabilities and so I'll try to see if one of the assistants in our university's labs will be able to look after it.

Yes, the pack was used continuously.
I always have it on and mostly load my iPAQ through the jacket's power jack.

I never had any problems with power and it worked fine when I left the house for a flight to Italy 2 weeks ago and it did not work anymore the same afternoon when having arrived in Italy (first thought of this technical illiterate: "could the X-ray at the airport have damaged the electronics?").

2.)
It seems to be a bad battery although I don't understand why it might have totally given up from one moment to the other without showing any symptoms of weakness before that.

Symptoms are:
(a) Inserting the iPAQ into the jacket after a soft reset runs the initialization of the software and ends up with an error page "Error: Exp. Pack Battery
Expansion Pack battery has reached a critical state of loading ... load the battery.." (my translation).

(b) If I insert the iPAQ into the jacket with the power supply connected to the jacket, the install runs through and ends up with the usual msg
"IHVInstall ...
Software was successfully updated. System will be restarted".
After restart the initial "Wireless Pack" intro page is started and after a long time am error msg appears:
"WPS ... The Wireless Pack does not reply. Pls remove the Expansion Pack , wait a few seconds and connect it again".
(my translation).
It does not get through to the logon page.

The "Voice Centre" icons appear in the title bar. The signal strength icon is greyed. Both battery icons show the loading, the green circle in the title bar next to the right battery icon turns green.
Clicking on the Voice Centre icons and selecting any of the menu items brings up the intro page again with the same result as on start-up.

(c) Running Diagnostics (from the settings page) brings up an almost empty page, only the following appears:
Software version: 1.0xxxx
Signal-strength: 0,0
Battery 0%
net: Not registered.

Running Tests results in:
"The virtual port does not work correctly. Status is invalid"
and:
"Software in flash-memory is complete".

Both the iPAQ's and the jacket's LEDs are blinking whilst loading.
When loading process is done, the iPAQ's LED stops blinking (as normal), the jacket's LED still is blinking red..

Thanks again for your help

Rainald

Occasional Visitor
CA1192744
Message 8 of 11 (251 Views)

Did you find already a good solution ? Or battery replacement ? I found out it is very difficult to find information for replacement of the gprs battery.

Hope to hear from anybody, thks
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 9 of 11 (251 Views)

Lex,
I'm awfully sorry.
I had written a long report on Monday but there were technical problems on the website and my posting obviously got killed on it's way. :-( :-( :-(

*My* problem has been solved, but not in a way that might be of help to you (warranty replacement).

As it's ways past midnight meanwhile, I'll pick up the thread on Saturday or Sunday.

Hoping for your understanding

Rainald

Trusted Contributor
Patrick
Message 10 of 11 (251 Views)

The battery for Ipaq 31xx / 36xx / 37xx should fit into the pack. I recently used one in exchange to the original battery and didn't find any problems. The connector is the same as in the Ipaqs.

Be sure to get a complete battery with the connector. Soldering a new battery to the flexible PCB of the old one is difficult, because of the material the battery-leeds are made of.

You have to remove the old one from the metal plate and put the new one on it. Be shure about the orientation.

Regards Patrick
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 11 of 11 (99 Views)

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, Patrick!

Since HP sent we back the defective device after having sent me a new one, I could to try out your recipe on the old one.
I will have to find a battery of the mentioned type first, however.

Thanks again

Rainald
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.